What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Played with an Eggfinder LCD and TX with a rocket buddy. It was a bit confusing at first, but once I realized there are sometimes Assembly Guides AND User Guides, things became more clear. I bought the equipment from a forum member (thanks John!!!), so I didn't build it myself, but everything worked as advertised, I think. Having said that, I am not 100% sure, as we would hide the TX somewhere and the other person would try to go find it. We failed the first few times, but ended up at the same spot, about 40ft-ish from the altimeter. After a while, we quit hiding it and just put it different places, walked away and then walked back. I think the iPhone app isn't ideal (standard maps, nothing specific) and Google maps on my buddies phone seemed to tell him to go the wrong way. I'm betting in both cases there is user error going on, but there might also be a better free app, like one used for hiking or geocaching. Probably need to read a manual or something. . .

Anyway, it was a fun day in general. I imagine the neighbors thought we were completely drunk (not the case at all, zero alcohol involved), as we would walk places, then wonder around wobbling left to right while looking at our phones and when we got things to work we'd yell 'YAAAAYYYY!!!' and/or similar, then do it again. . .

Sandy.

Starting to see the finish line on my winter projects. Well the 4" Ninja is a winter project, the 3" Punisher was shelved out of frustration a couple years ago when I ran into paint herpes issues. Yes I like black rockets, yes I need more imagination in my paint schemes. Two weeks until launch.

0515221116_HDR.jpg

Put another coat of thinned titebond glue on the balsa fins. I'll never use this method again.🤬 I'll never use balsa again either.
Wife put the shroud lines on the parachute for me.:wos_love:

Went to the MDRA launch today. Couple of highlights:

-My daughter flew her 3 Bandits and Generic E2X.
-Tried out the Loki G94 Ice Blue. Cool motor. I kind of want Loki to make more Ice Blue reloads.
-Tried out the H195ST. This was my first Super Thunder motor, and I found it to be a pretty darn cool motor as well. I really like the look of the purple flame.

Starting to see the finish line on my winter projects. Well the 4" Ninja is a winter project, the 3" Punisher was shelved out of frustration a couple years ago when I ran into paint herpes issues. Yes I like black rockets, yes I need more imagination in my paint schemes. Two weeks until launch.

View attachment 518783
If that Punisher still has Paint Herpes..the RSO might say it needs to be quarantined longer....

beautiful, orangish color...
...metalic?

It is Duplicolor Metalcast Orange. Unfortunately, this is a very fragile paint and requires a very well done basecoat to work right. On this rocket, I did not do a good job on the basecoat. It looked good for the picture, but the metalcast paint is already flaking off in large chunks. It is not sticking to the somewhat glossy surface of the basecoat (even though I sanded the base coat with 600 grit before applying the metalcast). But, I have been wrestling with painting this thing for the past two months and I am just tired of it. Got one good picture, now I am going to fly it for a while and then sand it down later in the summer when I have forgotten how much of a pain in the arse it was to paint this thing the first time :)

It is Duplicolor Metalcast Orange. Unfortunately, this is a very fragile paint and requires a very well done basecoat to work right. On this rocket, I did not do a good job on the basecoat. It looked good for the picture, but the metalcast paint is already flaking off in large chunks. It is not sticking to the somewhat glossy surface of the basecoat (even though I sanded the base coat with 600 grit before applying the metalcast). But, I have been wrestling with painting this thing for the past two months and I am just tired of it. Got one good picture, now I am going to fly it for a while and then sand it down later in the summer when I have forgotten how much of a pain in the arse it was to paint this thing the first time :)
Does Duplicolor recommend sanding to 600 grit before paint application? Many sources I have heard say not to sand finer than 400 if overcoating as this still allows the paint to lay out smooth yet still gives it something to hold onto.

Epoxy coated the fins on the SA-14.

Fins-epoxy.jpg

Back