Thoughts and Comments on Current Russian,Ukrainian Conflict/War

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So there's at least one source out there saying that Prigozhin regularly flew with his transponder turned off, that his plane went down midway between Moscow and St. Petersburg, and noted that there have been a lot of drone attacks in Moscow lately. so it's at least theoretically possible that it was a "friendly fire" accident caused by Prigozhin's paranoia and trigger-happy air defense.

OK, I don't really believe that either. I'll give Prigozhin all the mourning he deserves...

Aaaand I'm back. Nearly shed a single tiny tear there.

Last edited:
So, what happens now... i mean a lot of questions floating in the air for me...

1) Are we 100% he died?

2) If so, what does it make him? ( An accidental martyr?) ( A political message?) ( Or no one cares and everything carries on?)

3) How much of the real truth are we getting from the crash? This is Russian state media...

4) Will this be a Putin dethroning event?

5) What does Wagner do?

I don’t know if Prigozhin was on the plane; but I would be very surprised if he’s not dead. Putin probably didn’t feel that he could allow him to live after Prigozhin made him look like a fool. Putin had to make it spectacular and public as a warning to others who might also be tempted to buck him. With the Ruble as devalued as it is, Putin probably wanted access Prigozhin’s billions that might be tucked away as US 💵.

Last edited:
So, what happens now... i mean a lot of questions floating in the air for me...

1) Are we 100% he died?
Definitely not. He has a history of putting his name on one passenger list and getting on another plane. He has a definite motive to go underground. However, it's likely that he's /functionally/ dead in that we will likely never see his name again. Most likely, he's headed off to live the rest of his days on a heavily-guarded beach.
2) If so, what does it make him? ( An accidental martyr?) ( A political message?) ( Or no one cares and everything carries on?)
Probably a political message, whether he's actually dead or faked his own death. And I do think that everything carries on, except possibly for Wagner (see below)
3) How much of the real truth are we getting from the crash? This is Russian state media...
I trust that radio tower approximately as far as I can throw it...
4) Will this be a Putin dethroning event?
Highly unlikely, unless Prigozhin faked his own death to take the heat off for a few weeks while he plans a coup. Even now, I'm sure Russian intelligence knows whether Prigozhin was actually on that plane or not. If they actually want to kill him, he has a limited survival time. Absent a coup in a few weeks, I think this allows Putin to consolidate power by showing what happens to those who oppose him.
5) What does Wagner do?
Maybe it carries on looting and war criming its way through Syria and Africa, maybe the organization collapses. I think the former is more likely since there's money to be made but one can always hope for the latter. In theory, Wagner's co-founder was on the plane that went down, along with senior security staff and the money person. That kind of beheading can topple an organization. For how accurate the theory that they all died is, see #1. I find it a little hard to believe that the entire senior management was on a single plane in nominally hostile airspace though.

Definitely not. He has a history of putting his name on one passenger list and getting on another plane. He has a definite motive to go underground. However, it's likely that he's /functionally/ dead in that we will likely never see his name again. Most likely, he's headed off to live the rest of his days on a heavily-guarded beach.

Probably a political message, whether he's actually dead or faked his own death. And I do think that everything carries on, except possibly for Wagner (see below)

I trust that radio tower approximately as far as I can throw it...

Highly unlikely, unless Prigozhin faked his own death to take the heat off for a few weeks while he plans a coup. Even now, I'm sure Russian intelligence knows whether Prigozhin was actually on that plane or not. If they actually want to kill him, he has a limited survival time. Absent a coup in a few weeks, I think this allows Putin to consolidate power by showing what happens to those who oppose him.

Maybe it carries on looting and war criming its way through Syria and Africa, maybe the organization collapses. I think the former is more likely since there's money to be made but one can always hope for the latter. In theory, Wagner's co-founder was on the plane that went down, along with senior security staff and the money person. That kind of beheading can topple an organization. For how accurate the theory that they all died is, see #1. I find it a little hard to believe that the entire senior management was on a single plane in nominally hostile airspace though.
I think, you answered the questions pretty well. I agree that he probably isnt dead and used the event to slip out of the political light forever, and evade being assassinated.

On the other hand, I feel like Putin's days are numbered, no progress on the front lines, home front is being attacked so the facade of being safe for most Russians isnt so, in which even propaganda cant fix.

I do feel like if a resolution of the war is to come, its probably going to be a tragic ending for the Russian people, as historically speaking costly wars caused the people to straight up revolt and topple the said power. (When is it going to happen, we dont know but it will happen if the war is dragged on)

BBC News channel in the UK reports that locals heard a bang before the plane started to fall which suggests an explosion, either onboard or from weapons fire.
The other interesting snippet from the BBC was that there's a lot of personal loyalty to Prigozhin among the Wagner group. Perhaps some of them will seek revenge. It's a good time for generals and Putins inner circle to stay away from windows.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/world-66599774
  • Pentagon: there is no information to indicate that a surface-to-air missile brought down the plane and will not be drawn on what other reason could have caused the crash.
  • Pentagon: Prigozhin was 'likely killed' in plane crash.
  • Puiin: “initial information suggests” Wagner leaders were on the plane.
Not too definitive from ANYWHERE.
But yeah, 1 of the 2 Wagner planes that were flying one behind the other, was brought down, one way or another. The other went back to Moscow, and then flew abroad.

Clear as mud.

a

The video of the jet coming down is eerie. It took a long time for it to fall. More than likely the passengers were dead well in advance, or at least unconscious, considering the altitude that the tail was blown off at, by a bomb that was planted... wait, no, the missile strike that blew it off (probable)... No... ok... I got it now... the unfortunate accident that the Russians will publicly investigate and determine how this horrific tragedy could have occured.

Evidence of shrapnel on released videos seems to conclusively point to being taken out by a SAM. That certainly seems like Putin took them out.

The odd point though is that it would be unbelievably terrible operational security to put ALL of your top leadership on one airplane in hostile airspace. If anything points to this being Pregozin faking his death, that would be it.

In other news, apparently the big Crimean anti-aircraft radar kaboom was done by amphibious special forces on the ground. The Ukrainians are definitely shaking things up.

The Russians said they would do a molecular study of the bodies. Did it in a day. That seems to fast to me. And how or why did the Russian government have DNA of everyone on the plane. I don't think Pregozhin was/is stupid. Why would the entire group of leaders be on the same plane. They didn't do that before. I think Putin said they didn't need DNA. Just go off the passenger list. It would not surprise me if Pregozhin showed up somewhere.

If they landed a small number of troops, skirmished with the Russians, and vacated a short time later that's only significant for propaganda purposes.
If they landed a large number of troops and equipment, established a beachhead and expanded it then THAT would be significant.

Back