the Fluctus flight computer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
On question I had...how do you recommend having 4 charges (main, main backup, drogue, drogue backup), with only 3 pyro outputs?

I am sure @Ulyu will chime in, but there was probably a good reason why there are 3 pyro outputs. I think that is a small price to pay for all the other coolness of this product. Motor backup is one way to solve your dilemma. Electronic redundancy is overrated, anyway!

I really like the features of this device and attention to detail. An Android app developed in just a couple months! The image above shows the ground station hard wired to the mobile phone. Is that correct? Not Bluetooth? If so, that would be awkward to carry around the range, unless one built a large carrying case of some sort. The shape of the base station doesn't lend itself to carrying in your pocket.

Personally, I would use the Fluctus as a base station.

The image above shows the ground station hard wired to the mobile phone. Is that correct? Not Bluetooth? If so, that would be awkward to carry around the range, unless one built a large carrying case of some sort. The shape of the base station doesn't lend itself to carrying in your pocket.
I use a Rokform phone case which has a magnetic and mechanical locking system for various mounts. I mainly use it on my bike, but it would be easy to add the lock tabs to the ground station case and carry both pieces together like a sandwich. When I get my pre-ordered system from Wildman, I'll experiment and share some pictures.

On question I had...how do you recommend having 4 charges (main, main backup, drogue, drogue backup), with only 3 pyro outputs?

The simplest way I can see of using redundant pyro charges would simply be to connect them in parallel on the same pyro channel (each of the 3 can light at least 6 igniters in parallel at the same time, and probably more).
The disadvantage of this solution is that continuity detection won't be able to tell whether one or both igniters are OK, and if the pyro channel isn't working (which would be very unlucky), neither of the 2 charges will ignite.

If you really need 4 pyro outputs, then you can make a 4th one by using one of the 4 fluctus auxiliary outputs and a transitor. This solution might be a bit tricky to setup, and again you won't have any continuity detection.

So honestly, if you want 2 redundant pyro charges, just connect them in parallel. I don't really see the point of using 2 different pyro outputs for this (in my experience the charges are much more likely to fail than the electrical outputs themselves).

Also, one day, there'll be a version of Fluctus with 4 pyro channels... it's on my (very long) todo list...

I really like the features of this device and attention to detail. An Android app developed in just a couple months! The image above shows the ground station hard wired to the mobile phone. Is that correct? Not Bluetooth? If so, that would be awkward to carry around the range, unless one built a large carrying case of some sort. The shape of the base station doesn't lend itself to carrying in your pocket.

Personally, I would use the Fluctus as a base station.

Yes, the actual ground station has no Bluetooth connectivity, so the only way to connect it to a phone is via an OTG cable.

I'm planning to make a much more compact, battery-powered and bluetooth-capable version of the ground station.
This will make the Fluctus mobile experience much better, and it's also related to another gps tracker project I have in mind.
(keep in mind that I haven't started developing this thing yet, so don't expect it anytime soon...)

Would that remote for runcam work for the runcam 6? Maybe the wiring is the same..

I want one for the tilt meter for 2 stage

Yes. Although I designed and tested this feature for the RunCam Split series, I use their standard protocol so it should work just fine with the RunCam 6.

Hello,

I have an operational question. If I select "Flight Direct Mode enable" do I still have GPS tracking capabilities for the launch? Section 4.1 flight direct example does not show a connection to the F.C.C. like the manual example shown in 4.1

Hello,

I have an operational question. If I select "Flight Direct Mode enable" do I still have GPS tracking capabilities for the launch? Section 4.1 flight direct example does not show a connection to the F.C.C. like the manual example shown in 4.1
Hi,

Yes the telemetry and GPS tracking will be fully working even when the "Flight direct" option enabled.
The puropose of this option is that the telemetry will not be mandatory for launching, because the flight computer will be armed and ready as soon as it is powered up in the rocket (as would be the case with the vast majority of flight computers already on the market).

Here is a mockup adding the Rokform style lock to the Steady case which can be mounted to the cell phone case I already use. Obviously this depends on using this specific case, but it is a very simple solution. I'm sure there are many other ways one could clip a phone into the back of the Steady case to carry both parts together while tracking your rocket.

PSX_20240419_142028.jpg
PSX_20240419_141541.jpg

Hey Guy's,

I saw this thread on Wednesday, watched the VLOGS video on programming it and decided to buy one from Wildman. They still had the $299 pre-order price which was a bonus.

Bought it at noon Wednesday, received the shipping email that afternoon and received it noon today. That's Wildman Prime fast!

Very impressed with the small size of the all in one unit. Here it is next to a RRC2.

altimeters.jpg

Hey Guy's,

I saw this thread on Wednesday, watched the VLOGS video on programming it and decided to buy one from Wildman. They still had the $299 pre-order price which was a bonus.

Bought it at noon Wednesday, received the shipping email that afternoon and received it noon today. That's Wildman Prime fast!

Very impressed with the small size of the all in one unit. Here it is next to a RRC2.

View attachment 641465
My current setup

IMG_2201.jpgIMG_2222.jpg

Here is a mockup adding the Rokform style lock to the Steady case which can be mounted to the cell phone case I already use. Obviously this depends on using this specific case, but it is a very simple solution. I'm sure there are many other ways one could clip a phone into the back of the Steady case to carry both parts together while tracking your rocket.

Really cool !

Ulyu

One thing I just noticed on your data sheet is the 2.5mm mounting holes. This is an odd size that the Rasberry Pi community even complains about because of the lack of good hardware options. Could I suggest on your next run moving to support M3 hardware.

Ulyu

One thing I just noticed on your data sheet is the 2.5mm mounting holes. This is an odd size that the Rasberry Pi community even complains about because of the lack of good hardware options. Could I suggest on your next run moving to support M3 hardware.

Actually the mounting tabs are made for M2, and I supply the right screws in the box.
It's true that I could perhaps reduce them to 2.4 or 2.3 mm, or move to M3, but honestly the fit is quite perfect as it is with the supplied screws.

I received a Fluctus from Wildman this weekend. I'm impressed. It will easily fit on a sled in a BT-55 coupler. I'll have to print a sled to hold a switch and battery on one side and the flight computer on the other.

PSX_20240421_222721.jpgPSX_20240421_222737.jpg

After thinking about it a little more, I think I will wait until the bluetooth version of the base station comes out. Would hate to spend the money now on a full system them cough up 50% of it later for the hardware upgrade.

After thinking about it a little more, I think I will wait until the bluetooth version of the base station comes out. Would hate to spend the money now on a full system them cough up 50% of it later for the hardware upgrade.
I share that thought. Wireless is the way to go.

I share that thought. Wireless is the way to go.

Yeah I understand completely, I'll try to get this new product out as soon as possible, hopefully during the summer.

Hi, I plan to allow that, yes. I'm not doing it at the moment because I don't have enough volume and it's much easier to manage bundled productions.
When I'll offer this option, the flight computer alone will be between 70 and 80% of the current retail price (so on wildman, between 210 and 240 USD).
Yes, the actual ground station has no Bluetooth connectivity, so the only way to connect it to a phone is via an OTG cable.

I'm planning to make a much more compact, battery-powered and bluetooth-capable version of the ground station.
This will make the Fluctus mobile experience much better, and it's also related to another gps tracker project I have in mind.
(keep in mind that I haven't started developing this thing yet, so don't expect it anytime soon...)

I just ordered the system from Wildman. But if I absolutely, positively have to have the Bluetooth ground station when it comes out, any estimate of how it will be priced as a standalone unit?

Actually the mounting tabs are made for M2, and I supply the right screws in the box.
It's true that I could perhaps reduce them to 2.4 or 2.3 mm, or move to M3, but honestly the fit is quite perfect as it is with the supplied screws.

M2.5 screws are readily available for anyone who really likes drilling their holes precisely, in both nylon and steel. Perhaps not at your local hardware store, but easily enough from metric screw sellers.

I just ordered the system from Wildman. But if I absolutely, positively have to have the Bluetooth ground station when it comes out, any estimate of how it will be priced as a standalone unit?

M2.5 screws are readily available for anyone who really likes drilling their holes precisely, in both nylon and steel. Perhaps not at your local hardware store, but easily enough from metric screw sellers.
Yes the screws can easily be ordered, just placed an Amazon order today for a bunch. I think my point was more that most all of the other avionics equipment out there supports the M3. I have 6 manufacturers of flight computers and one is M2 and all others M3.

Question.

Will I be using my phone to power the ground station?

For the current ground station, yes it is powered by the phone via the USB cable that connects the two.

But for the new BlueTooth version of the ground station that is in development, a battery will be embedded. So no wired connection between the phone and the ground station will be required.

Last edited:
Back