the Fluctus flight computer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's were I was going with this. If your phone is the power for the ground station, Bluetooth doesn't really help unless the ground station has an integrated battery of it's own. Then you can loose the cable.

NateB

concept works for me until then.

BTW, great product!

@Ulyu

From page 46 of the manual...

This second rule controls the ejection of the Main parachute. It will be checked continuously throughout the rocket's descent, as evidenced by its "during Descent" triggering mode.The rule has 2 conditions. The first checks if the altitude is below a threshold of 200m, and the second checks if the rocket falls at a vertical speed of less than -40m/s (which would mean, in this case, that the Drogue parachute has failed).
That is very confusing, as to me a descent of less than 40 m/s means the drogue has successfully been deployed. I understand you have a minus sign in front of the "40m/s" but that might only add to the confusion.

That is very confusing, as to me a descent of less than 40 m/s means the drogue has successfully been deployed. I understand you have a minus sign in front of the "40m/s" but that might only add to the confusion.

Yeah I understand completely, but this variable is the vertical speed, not the descent rate.

In other words, it's positive when the rocket's going up, and negative when it's going down.

I've already thought about this problem and the only two other feasible solutions I have found are: adding a "descent rate" variable which is just the opposite of vertical speed, or make vertical speed an absolute value (so its always positive).

Unfortunately, each of these solutions poses other user experience issues, so I preferred to leave it to the simplest physical sense :
"vertical speed" is the rocket's vertical speed, relative to the launch point.

I can go into more detail in the documentation (to clear up any confusion) and I'm open to suggestions if you have any.

Yeah I understand completely, but this variable is the vertical speed, not the descent rate.

In other words, it's positive when the rocket's going up, and negative when it's going down.

I've already thought about this problem and the only two other feasible solutions I have found are: adding a "descent rate" variable which is just the opposite of vertical speed, or make vertical speed an absolute value (so its always positive).

Unfortunately, each of these solutions poses other user experience issues, so I preferred to leave it to the simplest physical sense :
"vertical speed" is the rocket's vertical speed, relative to the launch point.

I can go into more detail in the documentation (to clear up any confusion) and I'm open to suggestions if you have any.
Thank you for your quick response. I received my unit yesterday and hope to fly it next weekend.

Is there a way to simulate a flight so that I can be sure everything is working? I'd like to see the telemetry and voice in action before actually flying it.

Thank you for your quick response. I received my unit yesterday and hope to fly it next weekend.

Is there a way to simulate a flight so that I can be sure everything is working? I'd like to see the telemetry and voice in action before actually flying it.

There's indeed a flight simulator, but it's an experimental and undocumented feature, so it's not very usable by the end user as for now...

Something closer to what Featherweight offers might be upcoming though.

Last edited:
Ulyu
Few things to consider.
1. Is there a way to store settings for the FCC so when opening you don't have to re-select the channel.

2. Is there any error or warning generated if a user does not load actions into the Fluctus to deploy charges?

3. Is there plans to be able to use imperial and metric settings?

4. Will there be a way to download maps for areas that have poor internet coverage?

Pretty cool device so far. I'm probably going to put it into my Wildman Jr 2 stage and use it to light the upper stage motor and perform dual deploy.

Ulyu
Few things to consider.
1. Is there a way to store settings for the FCC so when opening you don't have to re-select the channel.

2. Is there any error or warning generated if a user does not load actions into the Fluctus to deploy charges?

3. Is there plans to be able to use imperial and metric settings?

4. Will there be a way to download maps for areas that have poor internet coverage?

Pretty cool device so far. I'm probably going to put it into my Wildman Jr 2 stage and use it to light the upper stage motor and perform dual deploy.

1. That's a good idea... I'll make the software remembers the selected channel every time it reopens, thank you.

2. Thats also a good idea, it's already something I've been asked to do, and it will be done. It'll just take a bit of time because I need to set up all a warning and rule verification system, but it'll happen for sure.
    To go into more detail, the way it will be implemented is that a warning will be displayed in the control center if Fluctus detects continuity on a pyro output, but no rule was configured for this same output.

3. Yes, you can now switch the telemetry display and speaker to imperial in the new software version. It's coming soon !
    (however, note that the configuration will still have to be performed in international metric units)

4. No, that's not planned, but if I remember correctly Google Maps works even without an internet connection (it just need some GPS satellites in view).
    So by scanning the QRCode generated in the Fluctus Control Center, your smartphone will be able to guide you to the rocket even if no map is downloaded.

There's indeed a flight simulator, but it's an experimental and undocumented feature, so it's not very usable by the end user as for now...

Something closer to what Featherweight offers might be upcoming though.
Can't wait.

It would be good if it could playback flights that were recorded with the voice narrating too.

So, I selected and saved "directly go to flight mode" as enabled. Powered back up in the selected position (Antenna up) and the unit does not arm. Any thoughts?

It would be good if it could playback flights that were recorded with the voice narrating too.
That's doable for sure.

So, I selected and saved "directly go to flight mode" as enabled. Powered back up in the selected position (Antenna up) and the unit does not arm. Any thoughts?
Automatic arming only happens when it detects that it's battery-powered, so if you're currently powering it via USB, it's perfectly normal for it not to arm.

If it's already battery-powered, note that it needs to be really stable so that it understands that it's in a rocket and arms automatically.
Try again, but hold it against a support so that it doesn't move or turn during the 10 seconds following battery connection. Then it should work just fine.

That's doable for sure.

Automatic arming only happens when it detects that it's battery-powered, so if you're currently powering it via USB, it's perfectly normal for it not to arm.

If it's already battery-powered, note that it needs to be really stable so that it understands that it's in a rocket and arms automatically.
Try again, but hold it against a support so that it doesn't move or turn during the 10 seconds following battery connection. Then it should work just fine.
I did have it connected to the battery but I didn't have it mounted. Thought I was holding it steady, but the tolerances are low for movement to allow auto-arming. Tested again and it worked. Is there a way to disarm without rebooting?

Thanks again for your super quick responses, they are amazing!

Edit to add another question....

With only 26 different channels I could see that becoming a problem pretty quickly with even moderately sized launches. Any ideas on that?

2nd edit for another question...

There are 3 power levels for the radio. Can you suggest what altitudes can be safely flown with the different output levels?

Thank you.

Last edited:
I did have it connected to the battery but I didn't have it mounted. Thought I was holding it steady, but the tolerances are low for movement to allow auto-arming. Tested again and it worked. Is there a way to disarm without rebooting?

Thanks again for your super quick responses, they are amazing!

Edit to add another question....

With only 26 different channels I could see that becoming a problem pretty quickly with even moderately sized launches. Any ideas on that?

2nd edit for another question...

There are 3 power levels for the radio. Can you suggest what altitudes can be safely flown with the different output levels?

Thank you.

Great.
No, the only way to disarm the flight computer is by rebooting (thankfully you can do that remotely, there is a button in the Settings tab)

Concerning radio channels, I think that 26 individual channels should be sufficient ?
Honestly I have never really been to any big rocket launch meeting, so I'm not sure what and how hard issues can be faced.

What I do know is that there are ways to improve the system, for example by allowing the flight computer to automatically switch channels if it detects that the one it's configured for is already occupied by something else.
Also, in theory, by occupying the whole band from 902 to 928mhz, I should be able to implement a maximum of 104 channels.
So these things are likely to be updated once again... I added it to my wayyy too longggg to-do list 😅

If anyone here have any other suggestions concerning radio, I'm open.

Great.
No, the only way to disarm the flight computer is by rebooting (thankfully you can do that remotely, there is a button in the Settings tab)

Concerning radio channels, I think that 26 individual channels should be sufficient ?
Honestly I have never really been to any big rocket launch meeting, so I'm not sure what and how hard issues can be faced.

What I do know is that there are ways to improve the system, for example by allowing the flight computer to automatically switch channels if it detects that the one it's configured for is already occupied by something else.
Also, in theory, by occupying the whole band from 902 to 928mhz, I should be able to implement a maximum of 104 channels.
So these things are likely to be updated once again... I added it to my wayyy too longggg to-do list 😅

If anyone here have any other suggestions concerning radio, I'm open.
Allowing it to automatically switch if something else is on the channel would be good, as long as the Steady automatically switched to the same channel, since I would imagine for most people the screen on the flight computer will be mounted against the sled and be unable to be seen without removing the flight computer from the sled.

Any thoughts on radio range with the different output levels. Would like some guidance on what altitudes can be flown at low, medium and high powers.

Allowing it to automatically switch if something else is on the channel would be good, as long as the Steady automatically switched to the same channel, since I would imagine for most people the screen on the flight computer will be mounted against the sled and be unable to be seen without removing the flight computer from the sled.

Any thoughts on radio range with the different output levels. Would like some guidance on what altitudes can be flown at low, medium and high powers.

Yes you're right, it requires a little more thought to get a proper solution. But that's the idea.

It's a bit complicated to estimate the altitude you can expect because it really depends on the environment and how the rocket is built.

The radio power parameter is more useful if you really need to save energy, comply with certain radio emission regulations or if the radio waves are likely to interfere with something else.
LOW corresponds to 25mW, MEDIUM to 100mW, and HIGH to 160mW.

Frankly, for normal use, I would recommend just leaving the setting at HIGH.
That way no worries, and it doesn't even consume that much power.

To give you an idea, at HIGH you can be sure of keeping communication at least:
- 1000m to 5km away on the ground (it really depends on the surronding environment)
- 10km to 100km away in the air (it really depends on how the rocket is built)

Changing to a Yagi antenna on the ground station can double or even triple these estimates.

Yes you're right, it requires a little more thought to get a proper solution. But that's the idea.

It's a bit complicated to estimate the altitude you can expect because it really depends on the environment and how the rocket is built.

The radio power parameter is more useful if you really need to save energy, comply with certain radio emission regulations or if the radio waves are likely to interfere with something else.
LOW corresponds to 25mW, MEDIUM to 100mW, and HIGH to 160mW.

Frankly, for normal use, I would recommend just leaving the setting at HIGH.
That way no worries, and it doesn't even consume that much power.

To give you an idea, at HIGH you can be sure of keeping communication at least:
- 1000m to 5km away on the ground (it really depends on the surronding environment)
- 10km to 100km away in the air (it really depends on how the rocket is built)

Changing to a Yagi antenna on the ground station can double or even triple these estimates.
Thank you. Is the Android app available yet?

Also, do you ever sleep? :)

A first draft of the app should arrive over the coming weekend.

As promised, the Fluctus Telemetry mobile application is now available for Android !

The Google PlayStore has not yet published it, but it can already be downloaded as an Apk file from my website:
silicdyne.net/downloads

Important note: this is only the first betatest version, some features are not yet implemented and you may encounter bugs. If you have any feedback, please let me know as soon as possible.

(some screenshots are attached)

Attachments

• connect.jpg
    connect.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 0
  • controls.jpg
    controls.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 0
  • locate.jpg
    locate.jpg
    629 KB · Views: 0
  • options.jpg
    options.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 0
  • overview.jpg
    overview.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
So far, so good! Thank you for getting a functional Android app so quickly. I have a Galaxy S24+, it recognized the Steady and connected as soon as the app opened. I was indoors, so it took a few minutes to get a GPS lock, but the app showed the location of my phone and the Fluctus within about 10 feet of my actual position. It also armed as expected and popped an ignitor using a small 1 cell Lipo.

Now I just need to fly it, but it appears that even in this beta state I will have no issue arming and tracking using my phone. That will make it much more convenient at a group launch and less to haul to the park when I fly rockets by myself. Keep up the great work. This is an impressive system to me so far.

This is fantastic news. So now, I have to ask. Does anyone have good recommendations for daylight readable Android tablets? I’m an iOS guy, so don’t really have any experience in the Android side. I bought a Tablet last week to try out, but when outside in the sun it’s useless.

Could you add an option to be able to set one of the AUX inputs as an ARM input? If the input is closed, the pyro channels are armed and if open, there disarmed.

I have set mine up to arm at power up
This is fantastic news. So now, I have to ask. Does anyone have good recommendations for daylight readable Android tablets? I’m an iOS guy, so don’t really have any experience in the Android side. I bought a Tablet last week to try out, but when outside in the sun it’s useless.
Maybe look for a used cell phone. Those are good it the bright sun and fit in your pocket. I just saw a S22 on Amazon for 80 dollars

Could you add an option to be able to set one of the AUX inputs as an ARM input? If the input is closed, the pyro channels are armed and if open, there disarmed.

That's a great idea and absolutely doable. It's on my to-do feature list now.

Back