Signing off

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now follow the snide remarks eh......just to be witty ........???

Take care Mason ,don`t let the self appointed "comedians and all around funny boys" get you all fired up !

Been a pleasure talking with you.

Cheers buddy !

Paul T

Last edited:
One thing I see all the time is people tearing through the hobby. I call them meteors or comets. Burns bright then burns out. Gets a LPR, then a composite, then L1 and L2 about 3 monthes apart. L3 about 9 monthes later. After that, burnout in a year.

You say it like it's a bad thing. I hear people complain about this trajectory. It's obscure to me what the problem is with someone spending 2 years in a hobby then moving on. Does it dilute your enjoyment of the hobby that there's someone out there who got his L3 faster than you but left the hobby faster than you?

BTW, you coming to XPRS Jeff?

Ari.

Chevy Chase fletch..

"is that one or two b's Mr. Babar?"

"just one B A B A R"

"thast 2 b's"

"Yeah but not right in a row"

Sad to see you go Mason!

Maybe try going another way temp. Me I deal with rockets all day every day.. had to pick up another hobby.

Flying RC helis and Rc planes.. I LOVE it.. but my passion still rockets! best people in the world here!

Exactly...I got into nitro trucks...nice way to avoid burn out and have something else to work on.

You say it like it's a bad thing. I hear people complain about this trajectory. It's obscure to me what the problem is with someone spending 2 years in a hobby then moving on. Does it dilute your enjoyment of the hobby that there's someone out there who got his L3 faster than you but left the hobby faster than you?

I don't think anyone is complaining about it as a bad thing. More like remarking about it.

There's a fine line between using this hobby, or any hobby, as an outlet for creativity or as a diversion from the stresses of real life, be it school or work, and letting the hobby become an additional stress that you no longer enjoy. Sometimes, it can happen before we're aware of it. We get too focused on completing an objective to have fun on the journey.

Mason seemed a bit angry over the past few days. You don't get angry like that because you're burned out on a hobby. More like he was burned out on people. I don't know, that's just my perception.

I've been experiencing some burn out over the past year myself. Building rockets just seems like a chore lately and I've actually gone to a launch and not taken any rockets. I've been in and out of the hobby many times over 40 some years, I always come back.

When I was Masons age I was busy having a life. Maybe that's what's going on here, maybe he discovered he has a life.

Opinions aside, I don't get the announcing of your hiatus.

That's probably my fault. I convinced Mason to at least say goodbye if he was permanently leaving.
I had some friends (and very active posters) on here that just vanished without a trace. I wish that they had let everyone know what was up. I've sent them PM, emails etc, but I never heard back. If they were leaving I wish I would have known. Then I wouldnt have to check the obituaries! (but that's probably not a problem with Mason)

Alex

Sometimes you just have to focus elsewhere. Been there, done that more than once.

Mason, take some time away from the hobby - and the forums - and do something enjoyable. If(when) you come back you'll have a totally different perspective on things. Enjoy being young!

There's a fine line between using this hobby, or any hobby, as an outlet for creativity or as a diversion from the stresses of real life, be it school or work, and letting the hobby become an additional stress that you no longer enjoy. Sometimes, it can happen before we're aware of it. We get too focused on completing an objective to have fun on the journey.

This is well stated. I've been through several hobbies over the years, fishing, drag racing, compound bow sport shooting, herpetology, model building both plastic, paper and balsa and burned out on all. Most of them because they loose their challenge or because of expense or lack of free time. My biggest problem is when I find something new that's fun and challenging I blast into it full bore, to the point of obsession which caused burn out.

if it aint fun, why do it? that's my philosophy. i've come to that point in another hobby/past time, and i can see the same thing in every hobby. the smart people walk away.

in regards to the fast trajectory...it's kind of like "i've been to the mountain" "i've seen the promised land". what else is there? some people have to prove to themselves that they can achieve something, be it L3 or anything...and maybe they dont realize it before, but after the certification, what else is there? i just went through this very thing with a separate hobby, and i know others in that same boat contemplating pursuing something else.

if it aint fun, why do it. take care to the OP.

...and maybe they dont realize it before, but after the certification, what else is there?
There's plenty to do after an L3 cert. Just getting your certs is not even a dent in the surface if you ask me... anything from clusters, staging, minimum diameter, absurdly large rockets, odd rockets... the list goes on. I turn 18 in 4 days, and I plan to get my certs done relatively quick, but the way I see it, that's nowhere near the end of my rocketry journey.

Sorry to see you go Mason. We'll catch you around.

Braden

Mason seemed a bit angry over the past few days. You don't get angry like that because you're burned out on a hobby. More like he was burned out on people. I don't know, that's just my perception.

If this is the case that IS a problem, I don't understand how people on anonymous forums such as this can allow total strangers to get under their skin. If there is a thread that sounds like it might go against your beliefs or opinions you just don't click on it, and if by chance you do come across one and feel the need to comment then comment with out malice move on and don't revisit that thread. There are those that troll the forums I like to call SPOONS, they're just there to stir up sh??, those types feed on drama and turmoil, they lack wisdom and understanding and can not debate ideas in a rational manor,especially if you can produce irrefutable evidence contrary to their stance.

if it aint fun, why do it? that's my philosophy. i've come to that point in another hobby/past time, and i can see the same thing in every hobby. the smart people walk away.

in regards to the fast trajectory...it's kind of like "i've been to the mountain" "i've seen the promised land". what else is there? some people have to prove to themselves that they can achieve something, be it L3 or anything...and maybe they dont realize it before, but after the certification, what else is there? i just went through this very thing with a separate hobby, and i know others in that same boat contemplating pursuing something else.

I don’t agree, not in my case at least, L3 is not a goal it’s a limitation in the motors size that results also in a limitation of the rockets size. For now I build many different kind of rockets with different technique, next summer after my CAR L4 ( TRA 3 ) I will have the experience and the freedom to choose what I want to build, I will not be limited by motor size anymore. I have a lot of projects in my head and L3 is a very easy one compare to many others.

Interesting perspective but not my experience. Of course, rocketry is the first hobby I've had that involved elements of creativity and art to this degree. My other significant hobbies have been SCUBA diving and aquarium keeping. SCUBA diving has certification levels that are increasingly difficult and then, even once youa re certified, there is always something new, some *place* new. Talk to a guy who has done a dive on the Great Barrier Reef ( a life goal of many) and he (or she) will tell you that it was awesome, but then there was this even MORE awesome dive they did in Fiji, in the Caribbean, or in Michigan, or the wrecks on Bikini Island (yes, you can dive some of them, if you are VERY lucky). There's always something you haven't done.

In aquarium keeping the clubs give out achievement awards for breeding fish. The first few are easy. Getting a plaque for the first twenty five can take a couple years even if you have room for several dozen tanks in your basement (and I have known guys that had over a hundred, seriously) but to get to fifty or higher, you are breeding fish with vastly different requirements and studying each time to get it right, and even then you are years, perhaps decades into the hobby. there's always one more, always one that got away, until you have become an expert in something. Okay you bred twenty five species, but can you breed twenty-five species of catfish? to get some of those plaques, the folks I have known were breaking new ground, breeding fish that had rarely or never been bred in captivity. When you do that, you write it up and get your article printed in national magazines and quoted by well-known international scientists.

There are aspects of that in rocketry as well, if you care to look for them. how high can you go is an obvious one, but I liked the way a recent article in NAR's magazine looked at it, "How high can I go on a 'K' motor?" Look at doing a serious study no one has really looked at before (there are many). Build an instrumented rocket and measure surface temperatures at Mach. How do those temperatures change if you change fin designs, or nosecone angles, or motor types, etc. There is a TON that can be done if you dream a little.

i completely agree...i wasn't saying that there is nothing after L3 cert, but perhaps the people that walk away quickly do not see the possibilities, or dont care about them because in their minds, the L3 is the holy grail. i can see there are endless possibilities with rocketry...and i am interested in exploring them. i dont think everyone fits that mold though, and im personally coming back to rocketry now after a solid few years of zero interest. perspectives, motivation, life circumstances all change and can change at the drop of a hat. once again, no matter what changes in your life though, do what makes you happy at the end of the day.

That's probably my fault. I convinced Mason to at least say goodbye if he was permanently leaving.
I had some friends (and very active posters) on here that just vanished without a trace. I wish that they had let everyone know what was up. I've sent them PM, emails etc, but I never heard back. If they were leaving I wish I would have known. Then I wouldnt have to check the obituaries! (but that's probably not a problem with Mason)

Alex

I wish Mason the best of luck. My opinion is that Mason is half telling people that he is taking a break, and the other half is antagonistic with a group of people. He has a right to do this, but a number of people are reading his post correctly. It is not just a sign off but a sendoff. This is like criticizing a team for the actions of an individual. Talk to the individual. As passionate as Mason is about rocketry, I am guessing that he will come back at some point. TRF is a forum about rocketry, but the real rocketry is building and flying. If people bug you, just ignore them, or address them individually. No matter what people post, someone may not agree. Most people in rocketry are friendly and pretty supportive. Take some time off, come back and build and fly rockets, stay out of the nonsense. Take care Mason.

Chris

I don’t agree, not in my case at least, L3 is not a goal it’s a limitation in the motors size that results also in a limitation of the rockets size. For now I build many different kind of rockets with different technique, next summer after my CAR L4 ( TRA 3 ) I will have the experience and the freedom to choose what I want to build, I will not be limited by motor size anymore. I have a lot of projects in my head and L3 is a very easy one compare to many others.

I haven't even got an L1, but for me it's the money. I honestly couldn't afford to fly anything over 29mm at this time.

There's plenty to do after an L3 cert. Just getting your certs is not even a dent in the surface if you ask me... anything from clusters, staging, minimum diameter, absurdly large rockets, odd rockets... the list goes on. I turn 18 in 4 days, and I plan to get my certs done relatively quick, but the way I see it, that's nowhere near the end of my rocketry journey.

Braden

Braden, I like what you said and it makes as much sense as anything written here. The certs don't have to be the end, there is still plenty of things to do - all of the things you listed have been on my mind. For a 17 year old, your a pretty wise young man.

Braden

Launch report, Braden!

Pictures, too. :D

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Forum Runner

I haven't even got an L1, but for me it's the money. I honestly couldn't afford to fly anything over 29mm at this time.

You can have plenty of fun with 29mm. This hobby can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be.

You can have plenty of fun with 29mm. This hobby can be as cheap or expensive as you want it to be.

Been going to Moffett Field for years with a 1000 ft ceiling and G motor max. We use the same rockets and never get tired of it.

TRF is a forum about rocketry, but the real rocketry is building and flying. If people bug you, just ignore them, or address them individually. No matter what people post, someone may not agree. Most people in rocketry are friendly and pretty supportive.

Yup.....;) Now its time to be serious for once.

I could personally spend alot of time bashing three people who i wish i would never show their faces in this hobby again but, its a waste my time and, creative effort to do so. Too hammer/hint over and, over again well.....That's just flatulence of the mouth folks.
Doesn't matter too me what your certification level is...You can find endless possibilities throughout this sport to keep you active for a lifetime.
(I know more people who are content too continue perfecting the art of Estes......than ever flying a "J" motor.)

I thought the comment about the "Funny Boys" in the hobby to be....well, very funny.

Ive learned the hard way over the years that no matter what you say, who you are, your education level, where your from, what you have or have not means NOTHING to alot of people....So what, go on....

Most of us are very content that we work towards our goals at our pace...

If you want to eat Cheese and, Macaroni for years and, remortgage your house multiple times to fund "Rocket Projects..." Go ahead, do so by all means but, don't dwell on what others do for just a few minutes in the glory of their peers.

I'll leave you with a thought.

So i drive out to Airfest this year in my brand new ZL1 Camaro. Someone ive never met makes snide comments about it/my ownership of it......so what......
Tax, title, registration......vehicle....only about a 60K investment......so what.....

I think to myself...Its a damn shame that this individual with his fine new age Chrysler/Fiat *muscle car* will never get a private tour of my collection of vintage 100% Chrysler *muscle CARS....*
You know the ones made.....along time ago....with BIG cubic inch engines....multiple carbs.....scoops....stripes....spoilers.....bright colors.....

So what.

Live your life, be courteous and, kind in your ways...even when the world around you fails too do so......Love, laugh (alot) control your anger and, be happy with what you've been given....today and, tomorrow.

I have TOO MANY friends who NEVER made it this far in life....Mostly NOT by their choice.....who i'm sure would tell YOU the same......If they were still alive........

Think about that.

Back