the Fluctus flight computer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's were I was going with this. If your phone is the power for the ground station, Bluetooth doesn't really help unless the ground station has an integrated battery of it's own. Then you can loose the cable.

NateB

concept works for me until then.

BTW, great product!

@Ulyu

From page 46 of the manual...

This second rule controls the ejection of the Main parachute. It will be checked continuously throughout the rocket's descent, as evidenced by its "during Descent" triggering mode.The rule has 2 conditions. The first checks if the altitude is below a threshold of 200m, and the second checks if the rocket falls at a vertical speed of less than -40m/s (which would mean, in this case, that the Drogue parachute has failed).
That is very confusing, as to me a descent of less than 40 m/s means the drogue has successfully been deployed. I understand you have a minus sign in front of the "40m/s" but that might only add to the confusion.

That is very confusing, as to me a descent of less than 40 m/s means the drogue has successfully been deployed. I understand you have a minus sign in front of the "40m/s" but that might only add to the confusion.

Yeah I understand completely, but this variable is the vertical speed, not the descent rate.

In other words, it's positive when the rocket's going up, and negative when it's going down.

I've already thought about this problem and the only two other feasible solutions I have found are: adding a "descent rate" variable which is just the opposite of vertical speed, or make vertical speed an absolute value (so its always positive).

Unfortunately, each of these solutions poses other user experience issues, so I preferred to leave it to the simplest physical sense :
"vertical speed" is the rocket's vertical speed, relative to the launch point.

I can go into more detail in the documentation (to clear up any confusion) and I'm open to suggestions if you have any.

Yeah I understand completely, but this variable is the vertical speed, not the descent rate.

In other words, it's positive when the rocket's going up, and negative when it's going down.

I've already thought about this problem and the only two other feasible solutions I have found are: adding a "descent rate" variable which is just the opposite of vertical speed, or make vertical speed an absolute value (so its always positive).

Unfortunately, each of these solutions poses other user experience issues, so I preferred to leave it to the simplest physical sense :
"vertical speed" is the rocket's vertical speed, relative to the launch point.

I can go into more detail in the documentation (to clear up any confusion) and I'm open to suggestions if you have any.
Thank you for your quick response. I received my unit yesterday and hope to fly it next weekend.

Is there a way to simulate a flight so that I can be sure everything is working? I'd like to see the telemetry and voice in action before actually flying it.

Thank you for your quick response. I received my unit yesterday and hope to fly it next weekend.

Is there a way to simulate a flight so that I can be sure everything is working? I'd like to see the telemetry and voice in action before actually flying it.

There's indeed a flight simulator, but it's an experimental and undocumented feature, so it's not very usable by the end user as for now...

Something closer to what Featherweight offers might be upcoming though.

Last edited:
Ulyu
Few things to consider.
1. Is there a way to store settings for the FCC so when opening you don't have to re-select the channel.

2. Is there any error or warning generated if a user does not load actions into the Fluctus to deploy charges?

3. Is there plans to be able to use imperial and metric settings?

4. Will there be a way to download maps for areas that have poor internet coverage?

Pretty cool device so far. I'm probably going to put it into my Wildman Jr 2 stage and use it to light the upper stage motor and perform dual deploy.

Ulyu
Few things to consider.
1. Is there a way to store settings for the FCC so when opening you don't have to re-select the channel.

2. Is there any error or warning generated if a user does not load actions into the Fluctus to deploy charges?

3. Is there plans to be able to use imperial and metric settings?

4. Will there be a way to download maps for areas that have poor internet coverage?

Pretty cool device so far. I'm probably going to put it into my Wildman Jr 2 stage and use it to light the upper stage motor and perform dual deploy.

1. That's a good idea... I'll make the software remembers the selected channel every time it reopens, thank you.

2. Thats also a good idea, it's already something I've been asked to do, and it will be done. It'll just take a bit of time because I need to set up all a warning and rule verification system, but it'll happen for sure.
    To go into more detail, the way it will be implemented is that a warning will be displayed in the control center if Fluctus detects continuity on a pyro output, but no rule was configured for this same output.

3. Yes, you can now switch the telemetry display and speaker to imperial in the new software version. It's coming soon !
    (however, note that the configuration will still have to be performed in international metric units)

4. No, that's not planned, but if I remember correctly Google Maps works even without an internet connection (it just need some GPS satellites in view).
    So by scanning the QRCode generated in the Fluctus Control Center, your smartphone will be able to guide you to the rocket even if no map is downloaded.

Back