SHX-15B news

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by OKTurbo
I finally got the first coat of primer on mine after a bit of filler and sanding. More sanding tomorrow and another coat of Kilz.

That looks really nice.

Originally posted by OKTurbo
The decals are on!

OKTurbo, did you shoot some clearcoat over your decals before
soaking?

I didn't, and now my zip code numbers (95501) that I started with
have the underlying white poking thru... :( The black ink rubs
onto my fingers.

I shot a small sample with clearcoat, but that didn't seem to help much.
But maybe I didn't allow enought time for it to dry.

I'm not going to proceed until I get a better handle on this... :(

SHROX are you lurking? What to do?

Yes...I put a coat of MicroScale Liquid Decal Film on before I cut them out and applied them.

I used some MicroScale Decal Setting solution to get them to lay down better also.

Inkjet decals are very delicate. The ones in the SHX-15B kit took some extra care, but mine turned out fine. I did use a black "Sharpie" pen to clean up the white edges.

You really need to coat them with some Decal Film.

Once they were dry, I coated the whole rocket with Future polish.

Hope this helps,
John

Soooo I've decided to approach this bird once again and I have one main wing attached and waiting for it to dry. While that's drying I'm finishing the upper an lower stab assemblys. Problem is, the filler pieces don't fit according to the fold marks.

So, I used 1/32nd balsa as webbing and it seems to work pretty well. I'll post pic's a little later. Has anyone else got any updates?

The fillers didn't fit on my vertical stabs either so I just used some of the scrap cardstock to make new ones. 1/32" balsa should work just fine...easier to sand too.

The trickiest part are the big wraps. I cut mine a little outside the lines....1/16 to 1/8" extra. This will give you a little extra for alignment errors. The wraps were glued down using Elmer's white glue with carefull attention to keep the lines sharp on the edges of the 'wings'. After the Elmer's dried, I trimmed the cardstock close to the wood with a hobby knife, then soaked the edges with some thin CA. The CA hardens the paper so you can then sand the edges right up to the wood for a clean edge.

Hope that helps,
John

Thanks for the tips on the wraps. I think just for haha's I'm going to make copies of the wraps before I start cutting them, just in case. I just finished the attachment of the other wing. i also stiffened the two stabs by gluing a small rib internally.

Originally posted by flying_silverad
I'm finishing the upper an lower stab assemblys. Problem is, the filler pieces don't fit according to the fold marks.

I noticed the size problem before cutting my patterns so I simply cut the stock
from the 'nose', leaving an inch or so extra at the tail end. ====>

Then I glued and folded starting from the leading edge. After the glue dried,
I trimmed the excess from the backside.

Hopefully, that makes sense- let me know if you'd like clarification.

BTW- I have cloned this design to replace the SHX-15 I lost at NARAM-46.
Just need to obtain replacement decals....

Back