Custom decals for 1 kit - where to go?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funkworks

Low Earth Orbit, obstructing Earth's view of Venus
Reaction score
Issue:
  • My laser printer only prints in black.
  • My inkjet printer leaves stupid superfluous marks on printable waterslide sheets.
  • White on clear waterslide decals are next to impossible to do at home, and my local Staples won't (or can't) do it.
  • I've already spent too much time trying to do this myself.
  • Not going to spend hundreds on new printing or vinyl cutting equipment.
Solution:

I have the designs and know exactly what I would need.
Looking for quotes for 1 or 2 copies on clear waterslide sheets (not 10's or 100's).
Who out there does this?
Experience with model rockets or plastic models is probably better, but not required.
Just looking for names or websites at this point.

Issue:
  • My laser printer only prints in black.
  • My inkjet printer leaves stupid superfluous marks on printable waterslide sheets.
  • White on clear waterslide decals are next to impossible to do at home, and my local Staples won't (or can't) do it.
  • I've already spent too much time trying to do this myself.
  • Not going to spend hundreds on new printing or vinyl cutting equipment.
Solution:

I have the designs and know exactly what I would need.
Looking for quotes for 1 or 2 copies on clear waterslide sheets (not 10's or 100's).
Who out there does this?
Experience with model rockets or plastic models is probably better, but not required.
Just looking for names or websites at this point.
Contact Tang Papa Decals for waterslides, or contact Mark at Stickershock23 for vinyl (there is a limited to how small vinyl can be cut).

+1 to Tango Papa and Stickershock23 for decals. However don't know if Tango Papa can do custom work. Worth a try, however.
If your white areas are lettering, then Stickershock23 can only go down so small before losing the resolution (as Rich mentioned).
https://www.tangopapadecals.com/
https://stickershock23.com/
When contacting Mark at Stickershock try to have all the info. available like the correctly sized design in an email attachment, exact diameter and circumference of the rocket, etc. to avoid playing email pong.
If you want to try home printing again in the future, keep in mind that there are two kinds of decal paper, clear and white. (Actually there are four: clear or white for inkjet or laser). Use the white paper for white decals. You need to match the background color on the decal to your rocket's color and cut around the decal. Not a perfect solution but better than nothing.
OR you can take your design file and white laser decal paper and go to anywhere that has a color laser printer (like Office Depot or Kinko's/Fedex). Pay by the piece. Good luck!

Last edited:
I took a chance with Bedlam Creations, and just placed an order. Hopefully, it works out and I can post pictures of the results!

However, Mark (Stickershock) can print decals with white that are not cut. Like he did for the body wrap of my L1 bird. Basically it's like a photograph that was printed. LOOKS AWESOME!!!

20961522654_a868bdf2a1.jpg

You can easily read every word on it, only if you can read Klingon. Otherwise, there's one word you can't.

I cancelled my order with Bedlam Creations. Friendly communications but:

• They misjudged how much time it would take to prepare my order, and apparently quoted too low.
  • After payment, I went through a month of waiting, and back and forth (so? and? hey! what's up? etc.)
  • I was told a few times my order would be shipping on such and such day, but it never did.
  • The business went through a move and apparently had a huge backlog where my order was apparently not worth being prioritized.
So, I asked for a refund through PayPal, and Bedlam refunded me immediately. And thanked me.

So what I take away is:

If you're a seller who can't fulfill an order: keeping the customer waiting until he abandons the order will allow a quote adjustment next time (wether this is proper practice I don't know, but that's what happened here, deliberately or not).

And if you're a buyer: ask for a turnaround time before placing an order.

Last edited:
I like the idea for using white decal paper and then matching the BG color to make a white-lettered decal. But I probably cannot design what I need with any reasonable amount of effort. So staying with the purpose of the thread title, how about a flag and UNITED STATES lettering for the Estes Mercury Redstone? As well, i could really use a source for 1/100 Apollo CSM decals, and, if the world were perfect, even for the 1/100 Mercury Redstone from Boyce Aerospace.

I checked the Estes site to see if I could order a second sheet of decals for my Redstone just to get the second UNITED STATES for the capsule, but the sheet cost $7.99 and another $10 and change for shipping! Yow!

I'm kinda new here... If I'm messing things up or asking stupid questions please be gentle...

Back