SHX-15B news

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Originally posted by CTimm
What happened to the first set of vinyl ones?
Do you have them or did they get sent back?

I returned them for credit.

Chris "waiting by the mailbox for the SHX-15B" Timm

It won't fit in the mailbox, check on the porch.

shrox

Originally posted by shrox
It won't fit in the mailbox, check on the porch.

Funny you should mention the size limitations of 'mailboxes'.
I just had a weird dream last night.
Dreamt about walking out to the mailbox and lo and behold, the mailbox is large enough to fit a St. Bernard!!!
Maybe I'm getting too many packages lately????
Maybe I'm sending too many packages lately???
It could also be the pile of AIM-47 kits packed in priority triangle tubes stacked and waiting for pick-up and delivery on the porch.
I do get a break this weekend for a HUVARS meet though.
Its the annual 2-day Michigan Spacemodeling Championships Meet.

Chris Timm

We should see some reviews soon I would think. The kits were all sent out last week and earlier this week, the Canada orders went out this morning.

shrox

The kits were all sent out last week and earlier this week, the Canada orders went out this morning.
How did you ship? USPS? UPS? Got tracking numbers? :)

The are all in the triangular Priority Mail boxes, except the Canada orders, they are in a Priority Mail box turned inside out.

shrox

We should see some reviews soon I would think.

I thought that as well for the number of kits I've been shipping out. They've gone domestically, canadian, and overseas to US serviceman. Yet no reviews.

Well, maybe Sandman will resist the urge to ebay the recently purchased kit of mine and open for a "first glance at the parts" report.

CTimm

The are all in the triangular Priority Mail boxes, except the Canada orders, they are in a Priority Mail box turned inside out.
shrox

The USPS wouldn't "allow" triangle boxes to be shipped to Canada and frowned upon the "inside out" useage as well.
Then they hit you with a length plus width plus height maximum overall number to fit into a reasonable priced air-mail classification.

Oh yeah, and the customs form to boot!

The hoops one must jump thru just to ship stuff.

CTimm

The USPS wouldn't "allow" triangle boxes to be shipped to Canada and frowned upon the "inside out" useage as well.
Then they hit you with a length plus width plus height maximum overall number to fit into a reasonable priced air-mail classification.

Oh yeah, and the customs form to boot!

The hoops one must jump thru just to ship stuff.

CTimm

Hmmm, you must have had a grumpy USPS office worker. I have had several of those inside out triangle boxes sent to me here in Canada. Sorry you weren't so lucky. My favourite triangle box had a Rattworks I-90 Yardstick plus 9 loads (no AP) in it.:D

The customs forms seem to vary. I see little checklist forms and sometimes a big full detail form. The little one seems easy enough but the big form would be a pain. Thanks for doing it for us though, we appreciate it!! :) This is whay I always email for a quote on shipping because I recognize there is a hassle factor.

I'll pop a note up when my triangle encased SHX-15 arrives!

Len Bryan

Originally posted by OKTurbo
Well Shrox...I haven't rec'd mine yet...

Should I start worrying now?!?!

John

If it comes from or goes to Eureka, Ca. add two to five (!?) days. That goes for mail and delivery, buses, NYTimes, etc.

Are you in Oklahoma?

shrox

..."Are you in Oklahoma?

shrox"

Yes...the thriving metropolis of Pryor, Oklahoma. (small town about 45 miles east of Tulsa)

I'm sure it will get here eventually. You were just asking for reviews and I haven't even seen it yet.

I'll let you know when it arrives.

Originally posted by OKTurbo

Yes...the thriving metropolis of Pryor, Oklahoma. (small town about 45 miles east of Tulsa)

I'm sure it will get here eventually. You were just asking for reviews and I haven't even seen it yet.

I'll let you know when it arrives.
Your small town plus my small town could equal three weeks!

shrox

Uh-oh. A few kits got a thinner than specified anchor cord.
I mark the cord every set length, then I add a drop of superglue at each mark to stop the Kevlar cord from unravelling when I cut them to size. I threw them all in a pile without sorting them, and my wife packaged them. She asked me about the different cords, but I was busy with something else and I didn't notice it. The cord is strong enough, it just looks wimpy.
After you finish it is hidden inside anyway so you won't have to be reminded about it after assembly.

shrox

Two kits have had crushed tubes. Write me if yours is damaged.

shrox

Hey, I got mine today!!!!!!!!

Tube was kinda dented from the packing method.
Perhaps inserting the nose cone pointy end inside the tube would solve the problem rather than a side by side stuffing into the triangle? Its a tight squeeze in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Centering rings were kinda folded over, no biggie to fix.
Decals have impressively solid black background.
Big hunks of flatstock (What? no laser cutting?).
Big fin pattern sheets.
Huge DynaStar plastic chute (some assembly required).
Nicely printed shrouds and canopy on heavy cardstock.

More later.
Gotta go jump in the pool now after a tough day at work.

CTimm

Hey, I got mine today!!!!!!!!

Tube was kinda dented from the packing method.
Perhaps inserting the nose cone pointy end inside the tube would solve the problem rather than a side by side stuffing into the triangle? Its a tight squeeze in there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Centering rings were kinda folded over, no biggie to fix.
Decals have impressively solid black background.
Big hunks of flatstock (What? no laser cutting?).
Big fin pattern sheets.
Huge DynaStar plastic chute (some assembly required).
Nicely printed shrouds and canopy on heavy cardstock.

More later.
Gotta go jump in the pool now after a tough day at work.

CTimm

They were inseted that way, with the point of the nose inside the tube. Was there any evidence the box was opened? I need to collect damages for this stuff!

shrox

Mine came in today also. It doesn't look like anything was damaged in mine.

I'll take a closer look and get an inventory of the contents later this evening....plus a few pictures...

John

Thanks Turbo,

That is what is should look like, a nice straight body tube.

shrox

Whoo-who!! Mine arrived today; all intact.

Shrox- I'm impressed! This is by far the best advanced kit
I've ever seen! And where on Earth did you find such perfect wood?

Can't wait to dig into the construction.

Or did I miss it in all the threads?

A RocSIM file would be cool for those that have RS (I don't yet).

Shrox, here is what my body tube looks like from about half-way down to one end. At the end I guess it does not look too bad, but there is a crease at the half-way mark that does not show up in pictures.

I don't know if you really need these pictures, but here are two shots of the crisp box; no really damage to the outside but one slight fold line on one side only. The left sticker was NOT completely stuck over the box opening, the right was and I cut it to open the box. The middle tape has a pecular twist to it that I noticed right away when I picked it up off my porch. You can see it in the second box shot.

Originally posted by billEblurzz
Shrox, here is what my body tube looks like from about half-way down to one end. At the end I guess it does not look too bad, but there is a crease at the half-way mark that does not show up in pictures.

Do you want it replaced? Just email me and I'll get one out to you.

shrox

Here is the twisted tape, looks like hastily applied and pulled of the roll. My first thought if the box was opened and inspected then quickly retaped, some damage might have occurred then. Or since the fold line on the box is on one side only, heavy items might have been put on top of the box and crushed the tube. :rolleyes:

I have been working on the SNARKY. Really cool kit, and I would be starting on the SHX-15B if we could try for another body tube! Thank you, Bill Roberts

Latest posts

Back