Interceptor-M with Booster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow,you can really see my receding hairline in those. :cry: I'm only 26 for crist’s sake!

Looks like you guys are having a good time building.. congrats on getting it going and making a good start of it too!! Looks like another Classic PRS Build!

Good luck with your L3 this weekend too.. Really wish I was going to be there.
I would show, but as I said, I have way too much AP and really need to burn a bunch of it the next weekend. I think there's an Accounting term first in first out? All I know is it's out with the old and in with the new ;) Unfortuanately I attended both the TRA-SD & ROC launches last month. Don't think the wife would let me do that again for another year or so..

Brent

Looks like you guys are having a good time building.. congrats on getting it going and making a good start of it too!! Looks like another Classic PRS Build!

Good luck with your L3 this weekend too.. Really wish I was going to be there.
I would show, but as I said, I have way too much AP and really need to burn a bunch of it the next weekend. I think there's an Accounting term first in first out? All I know is it's out with the old and in with the new ;) Unfortuanately I attended both the TRA-SD & ROC launches last month. Don't think the wife would let me do that again for another year or so..

Brent

To make life easier, I'd be willing to take some of that AP off your hands. I know that's pretty generous of me, but I'm willing to do it. And there's even local pickup available!
:p:rotflol:

OK, my schedule is just not allowing me to do anything. So, I won't be able to make it on March 9th, but, I can ship the tubes to you. Let me know what you'd like. Or, let me know when the next build weekend is after the 9th, and I'll check my schedule and if it works out I'll bring them then, if you can wait till then.

To make life easier, I'd be willing to take some of that AP off your hands. I know that's pretty generous of me, but I'm willing to do it. And there's even local pickup available!

Ghost, if you will be at ROC then you need to stay the night and be there for the launch the next day. I will be handing out motors for people to fly.

I have some 38mm 2 grain stuff and even an extra 38mm 6 grain I might want someone to fly. I will be flying all 54mm & 76mm motors. I will be flying my Talon 4 Re-Build Sat. on a K695R and Sunday on a baby L sparky. (Sundays are research launches when Frank is in town.)

Brent

Big build session yesterday! Much progress was made! Pictures!

To start things off, we have Rick Frelke and Jim DeVeau glassing the 12" tube for the strap-on booster while Jesse Blas takes a coffee break...

Okay... not really... Jesse is the epoxy mix-master, which is shown in the second photo!

web_0192.jpg

web_0194.jpg

The foam squares were center drilled by Larry Frelke, doing his best impersonation of South Park's Kenny through his mask.

The squares were then stacked and epoxied together by Jesse and Scott Lawson. They were intentionally turned 45 degrees off from the square below so that they could easily be trimmed to reduce the amount of material that will need to be sanded off when turning the cone.

web_0187.jpg

web_0208.jpg

I had printed out the fin patterns which were then transferred to the nomex honeycomb sheets and cut out by Andy Peart, Rick and Scott.

web_0202.jpg

web_0212.jpg

...and now... The Money Shots!!!:D

Okay... So there is still a LOT of work to be done, but who can resist that first time that you lay out all the parts together? That Interceptor that is sitting on top of the pile of parts is the "E" model... 39" long so that you can appreciate the scale of the "M" model...

You may notice that one of the wing pods is missing a tail cone... That's because we don't have a second Polecat Skeeter/Fatman cone... Anybody have a spare laying around that wants to donate it to the project?

As always... There are more photos from the build session posted in the Team Project section at www.punk-rockets.com !

web_0226.jpg

web_0230.jpg

That is coming along nicely Todd! Overall length I guestimate to be about 25', kewl!:cool:Keep up the awesome build!

We haven't trimmed the tubes down a bit yet... Overall in the pic it's about 20' but the design length is 16.99'. We've just been calling it 17', because really what's .01' amoungst friends...? ;)

Dang, and I thought you guys were going to get something done at this build session rather than sit around debating whose rocket is the biggest... :kill:

It looks awesome thus far... It will be a "huge" hit at PB that's for sure.

Brent

Dang, and I thought you guys were going to get something done at this build session rather than sit around debating whose rocket is the biggest... :kill:

It looks awesome thus far... It will be a "huge" hit at PB that's for sure.

Brent

Well... Hopefully it won't be a huge "hit"....:D

April 13th, you should really be at Lucerne, make the build session the 12th, then take a group field trip the next day. Make sure you're there by 9:00 am or might have wasted the trip, well not totally, but mostly.

Brent

Rick Frelke is waiting very patiently for these photos to be posted. We had a build day last Saturday and it's taken me a week to get them posted...

For this session, one of our goals was to get the nose cone turned down to size. Rick had rigged up a windshield wiper motor to turn the cone while we sanded it. It was a great thought, but we just couldn't get the cone to adhere to the end of the drive shaft... So we went to plan B... We glued a dowel into the front end of the cone and turned it with a hand drill (Thanks Bethany!)

web_1219.jpg

web_1222.jpg

web_1223.jpg

web_1227.jpg

web_1229.jpg

Quick side note... Be sure to wear your protective gear when working with this fiberglass infused foam stuff.... It's NASTY!:cool:

web_1231.jpg

The other goal for us was to get the tubes cut to size and the centering rings cut.

While I was busy doing my best impersonation of a snowman (in 80 degree heat), Rick and Jesse cut the tubes and routed out a dozen or so rings and bulkheads...

After the tubes were cut to length, Jesse split one and trimmed out a section to be able to 'glass it back together as the e-bay/coupler and another as the base of the cone for the booster.

web_1220.jpg

web_1239.jpg

web_1226.jpg

web_1243.jpg

web_1245.jpg

For the last session, we had laid all the parts out on the ground... But you just don't get a scale of the project until it's standing up...

Rick is holding the standard sized Interceptor, Jesse the 1.5x up Interceptor E.

What have we done?!?!?!?!:lol:

D'oh! Forgot the attachment!

Found one more to add on as well.... The growing pile of parts that are almost ready to assemble... Anybody have a really big poly bag for the new Interceptor M kit?

web_1236.jpg

web_1247.jpg

Hmmmm, just doesn't look big like I thought it would :rotflol:

Looking great guys, looking forward to seeing it all put together.

Question: How are you guys gonna get all 600 Estes "E" motors to light at the same time? :p

Brent

Good luck with that :rotflol: :lol: :rotflol:
Sorry Chris, you know for a fact that Todd set that up.. :mad:

Brent

Man, there is just too much campfire wood left in the world still. :D

Brent

Latest posts

Back