Balls 22 Projects

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, where di you get that clear ply you used to lay up the CF?

Hey Matt,

Sorry, missed this one earlier. I have purchased peel ply from McMaster, CST, and possibly USComposites. My current roll is white-ish; it is applied after the layup is complete. I won't say they're all the same, but I will say I don't know enough to notice a significant difference in the various offerings. The peel ply helps to hold it all together and smooth out the surface; it is removed after the epoxy cures. The fabric leaves a fine pattern from the weave that makes it good for bonding to but must be filled to get back to that smooth appearance.

I should have mentioned before: Any shiny carbon thingies you've seen so far have since been dulled! They've all been sanded to get to a uniform flat surface. Then sanded with progressivelly finer paper from 400 to 2000; finally polished to renew the shine! Jim Jarvis is the master of this; he has far more talent and patience than I, by all means check out his tutorials to see what it takes to get a good shine on a uniform surface! I give you my word that these projects will not be as finely finished as Jim's creations; I bow to the master:grin::clap:!

-Eric-

When dealing with 2 stagers, I believe that the interstage coupler assembly is one of the most critical components of the rocket. Therefore, when I designed it, I tried to think of all the ways it could fail; then engineer against those failure points. Not saying it's perfect, but I will say this thing is stout! Probably overbuilt, but it beats the alternative!:y:

Trying to be brief, I'll let the photos do the bulk of the talking.

First off, a custom carbon tube was layed up of 6 layers of 5.7oz fabric and Aeropoxy laminating resing. A custom tube here is critical because:
A) available stock glass/carbon tubing is too sloppy of a fit around the motor and
B) I decided against "head end ignition", therefore the igniter wires ride down along the OD of the motor before heading back up through the nozzle. Using the motor casing as a mandrel, I built up a 1" wide path on one side to accomodate the thickness of the wires. This also locks the upper stage into alignment, preventing it from rotating within the coupler. Therefore, the custom tube is a bit oblong on the head end for 4", yet maintains a constant wall thickness and a proper fit to the sustainer motor.

Now to take a look at parts; lots of parts. What shall I do with them all? Not shown (14) #6-32 screws, (12) carbon tubes, more carbon fabric and epoxy, 3 drops of blood, a bucket of tears, and whatever else I forgot.

024_zps2fd43353.jpg

I wanted to add a bit of support to the front end without compromising the fit of the aero-transition shroud. The solution was to add 6 evenly spaced lengths of flat carbon around the circumference of the core tube. The carbon is tacked in place with medium CA; the pieces intersect with the top centering ring. What a lousy photo!:facepalm:

025_zps8ade506a.jpg

Stuff is filleted:
028_zpsa35afbd4.jpg

Centering rings are added and filleted:
031_zpsf80058d0.jpg

The lower half didn't have enough "stuff", so I added a dozen carbon tubes to the lower end:
033_zpsf0d2e5d6.jpg

After adding the carbon tubes to the aft end, the upper half once again felt slighted, so two layers of carbon fabric were added forward of the top centering ring; encapsulating the flat carbon stock, associated fillets, and underlying core tube. After curing in a redneck device (black truck on a hot day parked in the sun for 9 hours with windows up), the top of the lamination was sanded down until the aero-shroud fit like a glove. The interesting looking contraption looked like this:

040_zps2c715a36.jpg

...to be continued...

-Eric-

Last edited:
This is a great thread. Thank you for taking the time to do it. Good luck in Black Rock.

Hey Dennis,

I've been watching the "Who's Coming" list and didn't see your name on their until this week; I was beginning to worry:eyepop:. Glad to hear you'll be there; can't wait to see you (and your project(s)on the playa! 6" motor???????

-Eric-

No 6" this year. Need to find casing and liner materials to biuld one :(. 17,500ns N3700 is the biggest this year. Also a pair of M2200 one in a min Dia.

Dennis

Eric, your work looks just fine to me. I can't wait to see it in person and then see the flight. It's going to be way cool!

Jim

Thanks Jim! I know you'll be at Balls; are you coming empty handed or bringing a rocket to play with?

-Eric-

Hey guys and gals, this is probably it for a while; unless I finish prepping early and end up with free time before leaving....not likely! Thus, last update for a while (possibly when I get back???).

First up, an easy one. The Itch's can is complete. Not yet polished, but functionally ready:
006_zps977764d6.jpg

Transition Part II

This is a pretty significant "fast forward" from the last transition build post. Essentially, any glass/carbon components were washed and scuffed, a slew of epoxy added, and slid together. Simple, done:wink:. First the aero-shroud was installed in place, then the coupler section slid in place, then a 1" airframe band was installed as a load carrier. After cured, there were a few high and low spots at the junction between the shroud and airframe band; these spots were sanded. Doing so exposed a bit of the green G-12 airframe. (6) 6-32 aircraft machine screws were installed around the circumference redundantly securing the airframe band, coupler, and centering ring of the internal structure together. Then the whole assembly was covered with one additional layer of carbon cloth to seal the deal. A few extra layers of epoxy were added over the top and the assembly is in the "sand to smooth" status right now. Here's a shot prior to covering up the top half with the final layer of carbon:

001_zps698c30c1.jpg

-Eric-

Hey guys and gals, this is probably it for a while; unless I finish prepping early and end up with free time before leaving....

-Eric-

Get some rest and have a great trip, Eric, and we'll see you back here soon. Sather

In Fernley, NV now; headed up to Gerlach shortly! Today is set up day for Balls and Hamster Dance in the afternoon. Let the games begin!

-Eric-

In Fernley, NV now; headed up to Gerlach shortly! Today is set up day for Balls and Hamster Dance in the afternoon. Let the games begin!

-Eric-

Gym, laundry, then airport...and In n Out tonight! See ya tomorrow!

Eric, best of luck my friend!

*Sorry, been on the "launches" side of the forum...drumming up some business/trouble for QCRS...*;)

Last edited:
Eric-

At San Francisco airport waiting for my flight home-I looked for you a couple times yesterday morning when everything was going up to offer assistance figuring you'd have a busy morning, but couldn't find you in your spot on the flight line. Saw your buddy fly a J motor but other than that didn't catch any of your flights. Did you decide to pack it in early or did you get to fly? If so, how'd it go?

Otherwise, cool seeing you and sorry we didn't get to chat more- take care.

Information has been slow getting back so far but, let us all know how things went.....when you get settled in Eric!

Had my fingers crossed all weekend! Hope it went well!:D

Really nice work on that Aluminum Fincan. I'm going to be making one next year.

Alex

Good morning E-town!:D
Just sitting here on my 1:30am "lunch break".....cooking up some S'mores and, singing Kum-ba-yah with Eric and, Alex!

Still patiently waiting....;)

Short story: neither of the Balls projects flew!

Long story to follow...

Word on the streets......scratch that, word at my rural post office is: Weather.
Very proud of you Eric!:D You got the *tools* and, the means by which too use them.....successfully.
There will be another day.

Still very proud of you!;)

Word on the streets......scratch that, word at my rural post office is: Weather.
Very proud of you Eric!:D You got the *tools* and, the means by which too use them.....successfully.
There will be another day.

Still very proud of you!;)

Thanks Gus!

I had repeated issues with a certain set of avionics; which when combined with weather elements; forebid any of my Balls flights. The few "Sconnie" motors that flew at Balls did work well however, and ISPy recorded the highest altitude at Hamster Dance. I am very proud of my Dad, Tom, for smashing his personal altitude record. For someone who is not an altitude junky by any means, 23,400' is a nice accomplishment!

It was a good trip, a great adventure, but not saturated with success as hoped.

Much much more to come....I haven't even downloaded the photos yet!

-Eric-

Really nice work on that Aluminum Fincan. I'm going to be making one next year.

Alex

Thanks Alex! Let me know if you have any questions on material sources, welding, or fabrication; I'm no expert but do know a little.

-Eric-

Okay, let's get this post-party analysis started, shall we. The Long Story, Part I:

Alas, this story has no clear beginning and no clear end:
061_zpseec50d5f.jpg

I'll start by re-stating that the trip was great; an adventure we longed to go on. Though my lack of flying was admittedly a huge bummer, the experience was great; and made the trip well worthwhile! The remainder of this thread is just as much about the experience getting there and back, as it is about flight activities while there.

Our adventures began on Tuesday morning at about 4:45am with the beginning of a long 18 hour day of driving. We started in Manitowoc, Wisconsin and ended up as planned in Cheyenne, Wyoming. As we passed from Iowa to Nebraska, we noticed someone's idea of modern art. Not sure if we understand the artsiness there; if anything we were amused if not a bit intimidated by the twisted steel!:eyepop:
203a_zpsbc6be1f6.jpg

Nebraska is a long state; so we broke up the drive with a quick visit to the Strategic Air Command Museum in Ashland, NE. Way cool and highly recommended!

The entrance:
001_zps9cf6c5f8.jpg

A nice F-84:
018_zps54810ab5.jpg

They also had a B-36 Peacemaker; a rarity which has a 230' wingspan! The enormous bomb-bay accomodated the equally unique parasite Goblin:
022_zps095dce03.jpg

023_zpsaa144d6d.jpg

I also found a big ol' phenolic looking nosecone 3 or 4 feet in diameter. I tried to smuggle it out of there, but the retired security guard tackled me before I made it out the front doors.
027_zpsfd897755.jpg

The museum had a few space capsules that were used for testing of landings on hard surfaces (ie: not water). The damage to the capsules from landing exposed some familiar building materials: fiberglass, honeycomb, foam, etc.
033_zps7929047d.jpg

The first floor of the museum between the two main hangars was closed as they completed work on an interactive area designed to captivate the younger generation. Looking down on construction, we spotted a friendly rocketry-related site:
032_zpsa1d16fb9.jpg

The coolest inflatable jumpy house ever. I so wish my kids were there (though we probably never would've left)!
036_zpsb1d6d09d.jpg

A recently refinished Mig-21: super shiny!
037_zps27340a36.jpg

They also recently finished renovating a B-29; well done!
039_zps0cfad577.jpg

The inspiration for the TRF logo? Hmm, just a few miles down the road from Troj; coincedence????
041_zpsbb4f31d4.jpg

Back outside, Snarky! Man, that thing was way bigger than I would've thought!

045_zps8dac19bd.jpg

Just shy of museum closing time at 5pm local, we departed and once again set West via I-80 until the late evening when we finally arrived at the Historic Plains hotel in downtown Cheyenne; an old hotel with lots of character. Hotel management refers to it as “wrinkles”. Unique, much like the remainder of our trip! It was also haunted, though we were not visited by any ghosts to the best of our remembrance.

...to be continued...

Back