Interceptor N to fly at LDRS 29

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No booster this time? That was pretty awesome. :D
Unfortunately no... The booster was damaged on the first flight and we have not repaired it yet.

Also... This is more motor than any of us has ever flown before and we came to the consensus that we should get one under our belt before trying anything fancy... With national television coverage at the launch, probably best if we can avoid being the flight that everyone remembers for ripping itself apart...

Of course you can... We allow only the best stalkers to follow us!
Sweeet! Thanks for the honor! See ya there! :cyclops:

We're looking at a Sat, Jun 12 launch, hopefully around noon or a bit before.
Will be there bright eyed & bushy tailed for the mass launch. Hopefully food coma won't set in from lunch... ;)

Pictured is the new & improved Interceptor N before & after loading in trailer for trip to LDRS. Can't wait to actually get on the road .....
Lookin' good! :)

Awesome flight, why didn't the booster parachute deploy? Congratulations, went a lot better than many of the other big events, especially the Sweet 16 drag race. That was maybe 7 Aerotech J1999 catos at once:y:

Awesome flight, why didn't the booster parachute deploy?
My understanding is the line from the deployment bag to the front section broke and failed to pull the d-bag off the main. Todd and his team were already talking about how to fix it. The fins were still rock-solid and there was just a little tweak in the body -- the av-bay took most of the damage.

Awesome flight, why didn't the booster parachute deploy? Congratulations, went a lot better than many of the other big events, especially the Sweet 16 drag race. That was maybe 7 Aerotech J1999 catos at once:y:

WOW, that's a lot of catos. Can't wait to see the footage of that one.

I just saw some footage of of the flight. How bad was the damage?

Last edited:
I was camped with Dart, the av-bay was destroyed, but not much else besides some cosmetic damage, and I think the number of CATOS was more like 4 or 5 but I am not sure. The sweet sixteen drag race went something like this: 5...4...3...2...1... followed by a cloud of smoke and rocket parts, then a second or two later another half of the rockets lifted off/CATOed.

That was one helluva boost! Gorgeous red flame coming out the back end! Bummer about the recovery though, but hey, it was better than ours!

Loved the Interceptor! I flew my own modified Estes intercetpor E on an H180 at Dairy Aire. It well... ummm... shredded.

Sorry about any delay in posting an official version of our flight. Todd and I got home late yesterday after helping the Talon crew with launch support on Monday. Still kind of dazed with all that went on over LDRS but will try to stay focused on our project here:

Interceptor launched successfully with one of the most beatiful flights of the weekend. We had a little problem with the tail section parachute not deploying from its Dbag but it flat spun from its 4000 ft apogee and landed eBay first. The eBay sustained major damage but absorbed most of the shock. (picutures to follow). The nose section landed softly in its horizontal position for a perfect recovery, not a scratch on it.

I am sure that repairs will be completed at some point and the Interceoptor will fly again.

Thanx to all our supporters, family & friends. More to come................

Perfect description Bondo! I was so wiped out this morning I forgot to bring the camera to work to review my photos... Gonna have to wait until tonight. LilminiJPC got a spectacular lift off shot, but I'll let her post it.

The official altimeter reading was beep-beep-beep, beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep, beep, beep-beep-beep... 3913!

Due to a shipping mix up, we ended up flying on an Aerotech N3300 instead of the CTI N3180 that we were expecting. I'll have to go back and check the numbers to see how close we came to what Rocksim was predicting...

Thanks again for all your help with our Talon. You and Todd certainly made our lives much easier!

And as I said previously, that was a beautiful flight. Here's hoping we get to see it again!

Thanks again for all your help with our Talon. You and Todd certainly made our lives much easier!

And as I said previously, that was a beautiful flight. Here's hoping we get to see it again!

Hey Chris-

You are certainly welcome! You have helped me out a lot over the years and it's nice to be able to pay you back a bit. Fantastic launch for the Talon, just sorry you didn't make the top end like you expected!

Sorry about the launch system being goofy with your e-matches... I still don't know what is going wrong there... I'm going to talk to one of the electrical engineers here at work and try and figure out a fool-proof system and get to work on a new box...

Perfect description Bondo! I was so wiped out this morning I forgot to bring the camera to work to review my photos... Gonna have to wait until tonight. LilminiJPC got a spectacular lift off shot, but I'll let her post it.

The official altimeter reading was beep-beep-beep, beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep-beep, beep, beep-beep-beep... 3913!

Due to a shipping mix up, we ended up flying on an Aerotech N3300 instead of the CTI N3180 that we were expecting. I'll have to go back and check the numbers to see how close we came to what Rocksim was predicting...

Here you go! Great seeing you guys out there!

Obligatory Team shot: :D (You can't even tell if anyone blinked! Gotta love sunglasses!)
4702823191_6154dc3a66_o.jpg

+1 on the amazing red flame!
4703450342_bb180d8591_o.jpg

The Landing
4702816051_4d8bb011e4_o.jpg

Last edited:
What an AWESOME lift-off picture, way better than mine. Congrats guys!

Todd(Grandpa, hehehe, sorry couldn't resist), nice to see you again. Glad you and Rick came by and chewed the fat with us. Good luck on your next project.

Sorry about the launch system being goofy with your e-matches... I still don't know what is going wrong there... I'm going to talk to one of the electrical engineers here at work and try and figure out a fool-proof system and get to work on a new box...

Totally not your fault man. Thanks for doing everything you could to help get this bad boy off the ground.

One thing we're definitely going to look into for these larger projects is a wireless system. Sure makes setting up and tearing down much simpler!

Todd, and the rest of you Punk rocket Scientists.. I was so sad to see her com in hard, but I gotta say the up shot was FRIGGIN AWESOME! way to go.

Hope you can get her all fixed up and ready to go again.. remember your decals are covered under our "Crash protection warranty" so thats one less thing you have to think about!

It was great hanging out with you guys. Thanks for the DROID..

You guys have a class act... hope to see her fly again soon!

Thanx Mark, nice meeting you & the fam. Glad to hear you got home safely.
We'll get the Interceptor put back together someday & hit you up on your "crash insurance".
And when we start the new project, we'll be in touch. Take care. Rick

Last edited:
lilmini, you got some great shots of our project! Hope you can post a few more for us? Thanx for all your support & great pictures!

lilmini, you got some great shots of our project! Hope you can post a few more for us? Thanx for all your support & great pictures!
Hi Rick! Anytime. Thanks a bunch for letting me tag along with your team! It was a lotta fun! Hope to be able to do it again for your guy's future projects! :D

----
Hey, a Foot!
4703452818_e33535e1c9_o.jpg

Team Work:
4703456490_d2c8347278_o.jpg

Is it straight??
4702822163_9ca0fffe03_o.jpg

Bottom's Up!
4702825043_213552f6b5_o.jpg

Roll out - Gotta get you guys to wave next time. ;)
4703449966_af9e59e719_o.jpg

Thanx Joyce! You do great work, you're welcome to tag along with our team anytime.
Hope Punk has some of his photos to post soon. Kinda hard to get back to the grind and family & still have time for TRF posting................

Hope Punk has some of his photos to post soon. Kinda hard to get back to the grind and family & still have time for TRF posting................

Nag, nag, nag...

Unfortunately I got banned from the computer by the kids tonight as I think they were working on some kind of father's day present... I'll do my best to get them up tomorrow. I'm trying to get the on board video translated into some format that I can view and post...

Plus I promised Reverend Jim that I would try and get the new Rocksim on the Proton done tonight...

Latest posts

Back