How can i open the parachute without any system on 600m

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burak

Reaction score
Hello!
I should open the parachute of payload on 600m. And i shouldn't use any recovery system. Is this imposible? Or is there any solution?

Payload is not inside on rocket - free fall

This was an idea. I will desing. But ı dont know, what will i desing. There is just a rule for competition. We cant use recovery system.
Do you mean no electronics? Post a link to the competition rules, perhaps.

My best guess at understanding what you mean is that you have a free falling payload, and you need to get it to deploy a parachute at 600 meters above the ground without using any kind of electronics or pyro charges.

The only thing I can think of is some kind of setup that will pull the parachute out with aerodynamic drag, but that would be really hard, maybe impossible, to get it to work consistently at the exact altitude you want.

Of course, I could also be misunderstanding what you're asking.

Perhaps a mechanical timer mechanism? Like a jack-in-the-box with a wound spring turning the handle, which opens a canister to let the parachute out at a specified time. The challenge with this is you would have to precisely know how long the mechanism takes to spring open, and the terminal velocity of the entire payload to know at what altitude you need to release the payload and start the timer.

My best guess at understanding what you mean is that you have a free falling payload, and you need to get it to deploy a parachute at 600 meters above the ground without using any kind of electronics or pyro charges.

The only thing I can think of is some kind of setup that will pull the parachute out with aerodynamic drag, but that would be really hard, maybe impossible, to get it to work consistently at the exact altitude you want.

Of course, I could also be misunderstanding what you're asking.

Yeah this is true, this rule so interesting, i will try‍

Perhaps a mechanical timer mechanism? Like a jack-in-the-box with a wound spring turning the handle, which opens a canister to let the parachute out at a specified time. The challenge with this is you would have to precisely know how long the mechanism takes to spring open, and the terminal velocity of the entire payload to know at what altitude you need to release the payload and start the timer.

Yeah it can be but this is mechanical system too:D

Maybe reefing it somehow?? Twisting the lines and a tight ring will give you some time until opening, but is going to be very hard as far as accuracy goes, as with all the other ideas listed. Not a good idea for a competition or goal to begin with, especially without electronics.

Maybe reefing it somehow?? Twisting the lines and a tight ring will give you some time until opening, but is going to be very hard as far as accuracy goes, as with all the other ideas listed. Not a good idea for a competition or goal to begin with, especially without electronics.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slider_(parachuting)

But it's still a "system", as would be any folding, packing, twisting, etc.

Back