packing size of a parachute in real life

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemon

Reaction score
How can i determine packing size of a parachute in real life from open rocket?

i got packing diameter - 3.8inch and packing length - 15.7inch in Open Rocket for the 12ft Pro Experimental Drogue Parachute by Rocketman. This will be used in a rocket whose apogee is around 3000 feet (1 km to be precise).

I used the component preset available in open rocket.

I am not sure how this will translate over to real life.

Also any tips on how I could design to keep room for error in packing size as the software to actual thing?

Your best bet is to get the packing size from the chute manufacturer for the specific chute you have. Pretty much anything else is a guess.

I would also leave an extra 10 - 20% margin, just as a safety margin. Pack and test before going to the launch site, maybe with the ejection charge ground tests.

Why do you need a 12 foot Drogue parachute for a rocket that goes 3000 Feet [looks like it may be 4" in diameter?]

How large is this rocket and what commercial motor are you going to use?

Last edited:
You can pack a chute multiple ways. Folded( multiple choices on how to fold it), in a deployment bag, and multiple other ways.
For one rocket, I pack it using stuff packing, like a sleeping bag into a tube with a protective cap. Everything arranged to come out in the correct order.

The essential thing is to test it works.
Pack it, then gently pull the parts apart making sure nothing snags and the chute comes out easily, in the correct orderly way, and inflates. Do that a few times to make sure you know it's reliable. Once you've got that, move to a full ejection charge test with the chute, checking it works well and nothing gets charred.
Usually, for a large chute deployment, you would already have a smaller(drogue) chute deployed which would assist to pull out the larger chute when it was released, rather than relying on the ejection charge alone.
Is this choice of large chute because you are aiming for a target altitude in a competition?

Your best bet is to get the packing size from the chute manufacturer for the specific chute you have. Pretty much anything else is a guess.

I would also leave an extra 10 - 20% margin, just as a safety margin. Pack and test before going to the launch site, maybe with the ejection charge ground tests.
I'd add more margin tbh. In my limited experience with them, the packing volumes listed on the Rocketman website are quite optimistic.

Also a 12 foot parachute for a 4" rocket seems very weird. I wonder what's driving tge OP to such a large parachute.

I'd add more margin tbh. In my limited experience with them, the packing volumes listed on the Rocketman website are quite optimistic.

Also a 12 foot parachute for a 4" rocket seems very weird. I wonder what's driving tge OP to such a large parachute.
One month and he hasn't even responded to his own thread, so...

Back