EVENT Freedom Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Just a reminder of the fall Freedom Launch. It will occur on Labor Day. It is this weekend.

TRA #60 will host the event in Dalzell, SC. The NOTAM has been called in.

I only made it out for Saturday, but it was a good day for launching! I had some other obligations, so only flew one rocket myself (Formula 54 on an H220T to around 3700-ish feet per sim). I saw plenty of other flights. The gentleman and his family next to my truck did a lot of prepping and then his flights and one was a 2-stage HPR flight. I know for some people, that might be commonplace, but I love 2-stage HPR. Regretfully, I didn't hear the announcement correctly, so I thought the rocket had a malfunction. . .it flew up fast, then there was a 'sputter' and then the smoke changed. I figured it was a motor problem (but a weird one) then it became obvious. . .doh - just mis-watched a cool 2-stage flight. It recovered perfectly and was a great flight. I hate that I didn't connect what was happening at the time, as I would have enjoyed it even more.

I would say the attendance was less that it was 10 years ago at Orangeburg (maybe COVID related, not field related), but I think on Saturday at least, there were a good number of fliers and I could see from people stowing their pop-ups instead of packing them up that Sunday was also likely a good turnout.

I'm hoping next year to manage to attend the whole weekend. The Dalzell field is nice, the team running the launch is always top notch and the fliers go from 1/2A to L, maybe more. I really like that this group is just as good with people launching LPR vs complex HPR. The only thing I missed seeing was a glider flight. I love those a ton as well, but the guys who usually fly a glider/RC glider or two didn't do so (on Saturday at least).

Looking forward to the next launch and NSL coming up next year for sure.

Sandy.

We had one M flight. I am planning one for spring to summer. I need to find a rocket that I can keep an N under 10K.

We had one M flight. I am planning one for spring to summer. I need to find a rocket that I can keep an N under 10K.
My 7.5" Goblin should reach about 9000' on a M750 (went 8800 at Bayboro). I have one prepped for Freedom launch but couldn't makeit:( I should have the variable drag TV750 by then. With enough plates it should stay below about 2500' :) The eventual goal of the design is to fly the N1000 I static tested.

I would say the attendance was less that it was 10 years ago at Orangeburg (maybe COVID related, not field related), but I think on Saturday at least, there were a good number of fliers and I could see from people stowing their pop-ups instead of packing them up that Sunday was also likely a good turnout.
New, unknown field. Once the word about the field gets out I expect attendance will improve.

Ir was a great turnout. I hope to have to launch report done before October.

Ir was a great turnout. I hope to have to launch report done before October.
Looking forward to seeing the report (and July and August).
It was only the third launch at the field. From the onboard videos I've seen, attendance was about that of a monthly launch at Orangeburg. Far better than the previous 2 launches at the field. If what I can gather is accurate, I think this field will be even better than Orangeburg and attendance will become at least as much as Orangeburg. I should be able to make the October launch. I have some rockets I prepped for the May launch with commercial motors. (And some 18 mm fun if Rx is allowed, no waiver needed.)

Back