EVENT Freedom Launch 2023: September 2-4

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, we have 22 planning to attend. That is a little light for Freedom Launch.

Planning on being there. Need 1/2" and 1/4" rods as well as 1010 rail. Quite a few 60-10-5 with oxamide Rx motors, 18, 38, and 54 mm.

If that is the sod farm, I wish I could be there. I was passing through once a couple years ago and stopped to watch & give Chris some of my $$. Very nice field.
Second the "stay ahead of food and hydration". The day I was there the dashboard showed 99. Am sure this year will be hotter.

If that is the sod farm, I wish I could be there. I was passing through once a couple years ago and stopped to watch & give Chris some of my $$. Very nice field.
Second the "stay ahead of food and hydration". The day I was there the dashboard showed 99. Am sure this year will be hotter.
It is the very SOD farm you probably remember.

Can anyone in the area recommended a place where we can stay in our RV? Thanks.

Poinsette State Park, Lee State Park, Palmetto Shores RV Resort
Thanks for the info. But, I don't think we are going to be able to make it. We had a really great time when we were up there the last time. The field is great and the launch was well-run.

Thanks for the info. But, I don't think we are going to be able to make it. We had a really great time when we were up there the last time. The field is great and the launch was well-run.
We will miss you. Maybe next year!

Are you planning an away cell?
We are with flights preapproved from our online form. We are reviewing K and above flights before launch day because of a prior issue. I can give more details on the field.

I will try to get you information tomorrow. Please let me know if flights are approved. If there is an issue I will make other plans.

Hi Chuck,

For Sunday and Monday, I'll need access to both 1010 and 1515 rails. I'll be flying mostly J's so I don't think flight approval is needed. I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone!
Fred

Hi Chuck,

For Sunday and Monday, I'll need access to both 1010 and 1515 rails. I'll be flying mostly J's so I don't think flight approval is needed. I'm looking forward to catching up with everyone!
Fred
As long as you don't plan to break 7K, you do not need a flight review. The goal is to review and simulate all flights above 7K.

Open invitation to TRF members to attend this launch. If you are new to the field and flying, send me a conversation (PM).

Freedom Launch is the best rocketry event I've attended over various years - guessing 5-8 events over 10-12 years. NSL was also awesome when hosted by the ROSCO/ICBM crew and if you're teetering on the edge, just do it!

Great people, great field, great time. Be sure to bring sun cover and a ton of water, but a great event. I'm missing it this year due to a different commitment, but if I didn't have that constraint, I'd be there in a heartbeat, even if just flying a 1/4A rocket. The comradery is what it is all about, along with a field that supports 'higher than typical' flights for our area.

Get off the fence! Attend Freedom Launch 2023!

Sandy.

Freedom Launch is our Annual Labor Day event. The launch will begin each day at about 10 AM and we fly until 1800 (6pm) or weather permits. Monday, we will begin to tear down at about 1500.

Our field:

https://www.rocketrysouthcarolina.org/pages/launchsite/

Our Facebook Thread:

We are asking the flyers that are level 2 to volunteer to server as RSO/LCO. Other can volunteer for setup and tear down.

To volunteer:
https://volunteersignup.org/CA9YP?f...HDZl4f8qyFfMaQNjIN5QnkCFJzDhLQ-26JRNgJTNJiCn8

I'll be there! All 3 days Alan

I'll be there! All 3 days Alan
I tried to sign up for LCO from 11 am to 1 pm on Monday, but I goofed somehow and ended up as RSO for 11-12. Doesn't matter, I'll be up front in the "seat of power" from 11 to 1, and I'll inspect rockets and push buttons as needed. I'm looking forward to seeing all of you!

Alan

I tried to sign up for LCO from 11 am to 1 pm on Monday, but I goofed somehow and ended up as RSO for 11-12. Doesn't matter, I'll be up front in the "seat of power" from 11 to 1, and I'll inspect rockets and push buttons as needed. I'm looking forward to seeing all of you!

Alan
Thanks Alan.

Chuck, I’m looking to attempt my L1 certification on Saturday with a Madcow SuperDX3. I’ve talked with Ken about having an H219T available, but may have to go with something else, but similar. I’ll need access to 1010 rails. I’ll PM you with some other questions. Will also have my grandson, Perrin, in tow and a handful of well-wishers. Low power and mid-power the rest of the day.

Chuck, I’m looking to attempt my L1 certification on Saturday with a Madcow SuperDX3. I’ve talked with Ken about having an H219T available, but may have to go with something else, but similar. I’ll need access to 1010 rails. I’ll PM you with some other questions. Will also have my grandson, Perrin, in tow and a handful of well-wishers. Low power and mid-power the rest of the day.
Have you been to Dalzell before?

If anyone attending Freedom Launch has a Loki Research 54/1200 casing w/nozzle, bulkhead, snap-rings, etc. that they're willing to lend me Saturday, please contact me via PM.

Have you been to Dalzell before?
Yes. We came to NSL, not to fly, but to check things out and enjoy everything. Highly impressed.
We saw big rockets fly and my grandson helped draw for prizes on Saturday.

Came back for Freedom Launch 2022 and a storm cell blew us off the field that Saturday. Planned 19 flights. Only made 3. Still had fun.

In May, my wife and I drove over to launch my Amarok on a G79 LMS that I had assembled for the 2022 Freedom Launch. We brought every rocket we wanted to fly except the the one I needed to fly. That was a skill set I wanted to learn before a L1 attempt. Still had lots of fun until my ESAM-58 wouldn’t ignite. After a couple of Qwest igniters, you broke out some of yours and bam. Away it went. In the end, the nose cone made a crater, upper BT had to be replaced and I should have stopped after the third strike. The ejection cap was still in the casing like it never fired.

Came back in June, flew the Amarok, did a drag race with mine and Perrin’s Attack Craft Orion.

Having joined NAR, I became a ROSCO member
View attachment recorded-1354244141640.mov
at the July launch. It was fun hanging out with folks, prepping and flying, watching the planes land, and then the pivot happened. 😬🤣🤣

It’s always an adventure and always a blast.
View attachment recorded-1475396309396.mov

Attachments

• IMG_1945.jpeg
    IMG_1945.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1960.jpeg
    IMG_1960.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2485.jpeg
    IMG_2485.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2516.png
    IMG_2516.png
    7.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7749.jpeg
    IMG_7749.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
No promises, but is anyone interested in starting earlier - say 8 or 9 am? If the interest is high, I will ask fro permission.

Back