EVENT Freedom Launch 2023: September 2-4

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You can pay your flight fees with PayPal.
LaunchFee.png

You will need to have an account on our site.

Sorry, the normal launches are Sat-Sun. With this being a 3 day launch, the last day is Monday and the tear down will be like a normal Sunday but on Monday. I expect few flights Monday.
My wife just asked me why would they want to launch all 3 days of a holiday weekend and not leave anytime on Monday for Labor Day family get-togethers?

My wife just asked me why would they want to launch all 3 days of a holiday weekend and not leave anytime on Monday for Labor Day family get-togethers?
It is a traditional launch. We have done the same thing for years on Memorial Day. The leadership shifted this year to just one three-day launch per year.

It is a lot of work to get ready for these things and we do miss a lot of family holidays. Your wife understands why we have reduced the number of 3 day launches.

Will this launch allow sparky motors? (Aerotech DM)

I may attempt my Level 2 flight on a J270. I have passed the test and will need someone to inspect and witness the flight. Who should I reach out to for this?

Thanks
Ray

I may attempt my Level 2 flight on a J270. I have passed the test and will need someone to inspect and witness the flight. Who should I reach out to for this?

Thanks
Ray
I'll be there all three days. The prefect can also do the certification. Is this NAR or TRA?

A

Thanks
Ray
Sparky motors are NOT allowed on this field.

Thanks
Ray

We can certify both NAR and TRA. We are not allowed to launch sparky motors.

Ok, we are going to move the setup to 0900 and we will start each day at approximately 0900.

should be large amounts of fun. Anyone on here who has not met me, find me running around in a blue power chair and come up and introduce yourself.

The weather was great today. I took 3 rockets and none of them got launched. Estes ignitors are simply Horrible. I'm going to find a replacement for them so that I'll never touch one again.

I got to perform in the LCO position, a little rough for my first time, but being stuck in my power chair under the canopy prevented me from commenting what happens after apogee. I'd like to do it some more at future launches.👍

Chuck @cwbullet is one great guy. He presented me with a gift of an upscale PML MR-1 rocket which is one of my favorites. It has a 3 piece nose cone that is a work of art for a 3D print. Thanks Chuck.:bravo:

Ken from Performance Hobbies filled my order of various parts so that I can work on the 5 rockets I have in the build list now,. He is one of my favorite people in rocketry, as we always enjoy each other.

At the end of the day my powerchair battery died. Wes Munn, our gifted photographer pulled me back to our car and saved the day. Thanks again.

These rocket launches just completely drain me. Sitting all day in my chair makes my rear end feel like I just got a fraternity paddling. It usually takes 2 days to recover, but it's the highlight of each month for me.

Last edited:
Had a great time yesterday and certified Level 2 (Again!) on my Gulf Lok lifted by a Loki J-326. Great seeing everyone, especially Marty & his wife, Chuck & Bridget, Tom Binford, Nick & Jill, Wes & his son, Robert, Ken Allen and the rest. I left a bit poorer, money-wise, but richer, rocket-wise, while Ken had the opposite happen!

Wasn't able to launch anything today, as I have electronics and structural maintenance/repairs to do on my all three rockets I brought. The Fiber Max flew great on a Loki H-144, but popped a fin on landing. The Nuke Pro Maxx needed fin repair, possibly from damage during transport, and the Gulf Lok needs 1515 buttons to replace the 1010 buttons that one popped off. Ken provided the replacement 1515 buttons for a nominal fee. [grin]

A reminder to everyone: Pay It Forward. It'll come back to you. Promise.

Today, we have 19 registered fliers.

My wife reminded me that she has helped Set up and tear down nearly every launch since 2012. That is 10 years and 100 launches. She gave her creature comforts (AC and indoor plumbing) to follow me to launches. She continues to attend even when I was in Texas and Kuwait.

Thanks @cw's wife for wall you do for our club.

Back