EVENT Freedom Launch 2023: September 2-4

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwbullet

Obsessed with Rocketry
Staff member
Administrator
Global Mod
Reaction score
Freedom Launch is our Annual Labor Day event. The launch will begin each day at about 10 AM and we fly until 1800 (6pm) or weather permits. Monday, we will begin to tear down at about 1500.

Our field:

https://www.rocketrysouthcarolina.org/pages/launchsite/

Our Facebook Thread:

We are asking the flyers that are level 2 to volunteer to server as RSO/LCO. Other can volunteer for setup and tear down.

To volunteer:
https://volunteersignup.org/CA9YP?f...HDZl4f8qyFfMaQNjIN5QnkCFJzDhLQ-26JRNgJTNJiCn8

Last edited:
Update: please let us know if you plan to attend. This is especially needed if you have special needs (example - Unistrut rails or an extra long rail).

Also, if you have a special needs or plan to fly 7000 feet or higher (waiver is 10K), you will need to make sure you requirements are reviewed prior to the day of flight.

Form for reporting:

https://forms.gle/SKaPtP76hjMCGHM29

Make sure Ken has what you need especially motors. Best way to reach him is to call. The number on his web site was good the last time I needed to call. He usually has lots of kits and parts.

Hi Chuck,

I plan to attend on Sunday and Monday. Also, I'll volunteer as a RSO/LCO if needed.

Regards,
Fred

Now I'm seriously confused. The dates of the launch are 2 - 4 September. The 4th is Monday, Labor Day. It doesn't make sense to tear down on Sunday when the launch runs through Monday.
Sorry, the normal launches are Sat-Sun. With this being a 3 day launch, the last day is Monday and the tear down will be like a normal Sunday but on Monday. I expect few flights Monday.

Sorry, the normal launches are Sat-Sun. With this being a 3 day launch, the last day is Monday and the tear down will be like a normal Sunday but on Monday. I expect few flights Monday.
I plan on staying through a good part of Monday. I volunteered to help with set up and may be available to help with teardown, depending on when launched dwindle to zero.

New fliers: if you have never been to Dalzell, let us know, and your first day of flight fees are on us.

I'm curious as to what the requirements are to be the RSO? Especially for people who have never done it before.
RSO requires that you achieve Level 2. We can train anyone to be RSO. RSO inspects the rockets and asks questions (Preflight checks). They follow the below-linked documentation to ensure the flight is safe.

RSO Guide

Wish this was closer. 9hr drive is a little more than I want to do since I could only do sat and sun..

RSO requires that you achieve Level 2. We can train anyone to be RSO. RSO inspects the rockets and asks questions (Preflight checks). They follow the below-linked documentation to ensure the flight is safe.

RSO Guide
this is what I got when I clicked on the link:
This XML file does not appear to have any style information associated with it. :(

New fliers: if you have never been to Dalzell, let us know, and your first day of flight fees are on us.
Anybody thinking about attending, should. It is a great field and group in the South East. The only caveat I will provide is think about what sort of shelter, water etc. you need for a hot launch, then double it. I don't know what it is about the SC sandy soil and the total lack of trees, (in September), but it works on you a good bit. Stay ahead of hydration, food, shade etc. Its hard to catch-up once you fall behind. Its easy to fall behind, though, as it is such a fun launch and you want to be out and about the whole time.

Hate that I'm missing it this year. Stupid work. . .

Back