GO June 10-11 Launch in Dalzell, SC

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two learning lessons for this launch:
  1. You have to make sure snap rings are deep enough and engaged.
  2. I owe a lot of thanks to those that taught me to make igniters because my igniters work better than commercial igniters. You know who you are out there, so .... Thanks.
  3. You gotta get that delay right, and simulation is your friend.

It was truly a great weekend to fly.

1. I owe a lot of thanks to those that taught me to make igniters because my igniters work better than commercial igniters.

Your igniters are going to be the only ones I use on my HPR rockets. Thanks again for giving me one to complete my L2 flight.

1. You have to make sure snap rings are deep enough and engaged.
  2. I owe a lot of thanks to those that taught me to make igniters because my igniters work better than commercial igniters. You know who you are out there, so .... Thanks.
  3. You gotta get that delay right, and simulation is your friend.

1. Snap ring was engaged fully. Old habits die hard. Made sure to hear the *SNAP* when they seated.
2. The igniter on the first one appeared to be the same sort that Tom Binford gave me. My problem was not making sure I had enough tape to hold it in when the clips were attached. The second igniter failure Tom and I think was igniter not inserted fully to rest against pellet in CTI motor. Rectified with second e-match.
3. I had simulated the original motor, but didn't have a computer to sim the CTI motor.

It's all good. Donna enjoyed the time we managed at the beach. She didn't get very far in, though. The tide was too strong for her at 4pm.
I am glad you finally got your level 1. Let me know if you need a motor for level 2. When I order, I will order one.

1. Snap ring was engaged fully. Old habits die hard. Made sure to hear the *SNAP* when they seated.
2. The igniter on the first one appeared to be the same sort that Tom Binford gave me. My problem was not making sure I had enough tape to hold it in when the clips were attached. The second igniter failure Tom and I think was igniter not inserted fully to rest against pellet in CTI motor. Rectified with second e-match.
3. I had simulated the original motor, but didn't have a computer to sim the CTI motor.

That was not directed at you. It was learning lessons from the launch. The first one is the only one from your flight.

The lack of damage to the snap ring groove and casing and ejection of the grains is what I was going on to say: either the grooves were not deep enough, or the ring was not fully engaged. Over-pressurization would cause damage to the casing when the ring is pushed against the groove. You did not appear to have that.

We had two launches where the flyer guessed the delay. They guessed wrong.

I loaned many of my igniters out and had 90%+ success this weekend. The one failure was a very old motor.

Last edited:
That was not directed at you. It was learning lessons from the launch. The first one is the only one from your flight.

The lack of damage to the snap ring groove and casing and ejection of the grains is what I was going on to say: either the grooves were not deep enough, or the ring was not fully engaged. Over-pressurization would cause damage to the casing when the ring is pushed against the groove. You did not appear to have that.

We had two launches where the flyer guessed the delay. They guessed wrong.

I loaned many of my igniters out and had 90%+ success this weekend. The one failure was a very old motor.
Okay, fair enough. I guess I was feeling a bit...vulnerable...after my attempts at cert. LOL

I've sent an email to [email protected] and haven't heard back, yet. We'll see what happens. I still need to fill out a MESS report. Where to go for that?

Okay, fair enough. I guess I was feeling a bit...vulnerable...after my attempts at cert. LOL

I've sent an email to [email protected] and haven't heard back, yet. We'll see what happens. I still need to fill out a MESS report. Where to go for that?
MESS website: https://www.motorcato.org
I've already filled out mine from Saturday!
And congrats on your (re)L1!

I can see that. It was not your fault. It is easy to do, even if it is a snap ring issue. I have done it myself, and I have flown a lot of snap-ring motors, also.

I can see that. It was not your fault. It is easy to do, even if it is a snap ring issue. I have done it myself, and I have flown a lot of snap-ring motors, also.
Had a nice conversation with Scott Kormeier this afternoon. He pointed out that if the snap-ring had been properly seated, we'd see scraped anodization on the aft edge of the snap-ring groove for about a quarter of the circumference of the casing. He also gave me a new procedure for ensuring a snap-ring is properly seated. I am incorporating his procedure in my motor assembly methodology from now on. (I posted in the tips and tricks comments for inclusion in the daily tips and tricks thread.)

I also learned something else that was rather eye-opening, but I won't discuss it on TRF.

I'm also interested, send me a message.
I've posted videos, an overall of the launch and John Kemker's L1 attempts. The info I have is in the description.

I’ll add to it (and also as a note to myself), My L1 is at ~17:40.
Also, May I borrow a clip from your videos for my self? Just want to ask permission before I post it elsewhere.

Latest posts

Back