Finally pulled the trigger for L1

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like we're basically at the same place for our builds. I just came in from the shop. Bonded the upper tube to the coupler and pulled the tape for the outer fillets. Are you going with a stock paint scheme or custom? I'm doing stock (I think it looks pretty as-is)

Looks like we're basically at the same place for our builds. I just came in from the shop. Bonded the upper tube to the coupler and pulled the tape for the outer fillets. Are you going with a stock paint scheme or custom? I'm doing stock (I think it looks pretty as-is)
stock.... i attached the couplers together, used wood putty around the coupler where needed, sanded down the nosecone w/400 grit SP, and sprayed with rustoleum sandable primer. for the rocket tube i sanded with 400 grit along with the fins. i still need to do some wood putty work on the coupler, and winds on the tube, but not much now.

in order to get the paint.. i had to go to advanced auto. they had the sandable primer, and gloss white and black rustoleum.

Attachments

• 20240104_171209.jpg
    20240104_171209.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
For a secondary rocket, go with a LOC Goblin. You won't even need a chute release because it won't break 1000ft on a baby H motor, easy peasy. I honestly find the chute release a waste of money. I've had mine for a few years and have only gotten it to actually release maybe 2 times, the pin can easily get stuck on the release mechanism. I gave up on it.

Also, a LOC Goblin if built with wood glue will easily fly on G motors(I've seen one fly on a F67 although I wouldn't recommend it). It's also under the weight limit that you need a waiver for unlike the Zephyr and if you want to, you can push it for L2, it'll still hold up.
I’ve had a lot of success with the JL Chute release.

thank you for the link..! glad i didn't use the TBII. i'll just go ahead and use the 5 min epoxy.

r-
On your next build I would order some BSI 30 minute epoxy with the kit or better yet read though the sticky and choose what meets your build methods. As crazy as it sounds the “right epoxy” is debated heavily in the High Power part of the hobby. Please consider using one of our great vendors from the vendor section. I am purposely being vague because I am biased on which vendors I go to the most.

Can’t wait to see your successful launch.

Early this morning after doing probably waaay to much research over the last couple of weeks for my L1 Cert., i pulled the trigger on the Zephyr, H100 AT DMS, Jolly Logic Alt. 2, Jolly Logic Chute Release.

As for my second rocket, i was thinking of either the mega initiator w/ebay, or the peringuene Thoughts on that?

r-
I hope to start my Zephyr build in a few weeks so I appreciate your build thread!

stock.... i attached the couplers together, used wood putty around the coupler where needed, sanded down the nosecone w/400 grit SP, and sprayed with rustoleum sandable primer. for the rocket tube i sanded with 400 grit along with the fins. i still need to do some wood putty work on the coupler, and winds on the tube, but not much now.

in order to get the paint.. i had to go to advanced auto. they had the sandable primer, and gloss white and black rustoleum.
Nice! I'm about to start sanding the fins out to prep for some filler primer this afternoon.
Just personal preference, but I don't really get into filling the body tube windings. I know a lot of people like to see that perfectly smooth finish, but I'm weird and sorta like the thin lines in most BTs. That's not to say I didn't fill the windings on my Saturn V tho.....I mean, some models you HAVE to. ;-) But for me I think I'll just fill the coupler joint and then sand down whatever the filler primer fills in for this model. When are you hoping to launch yours?

On your next build I would order some BSI 30 minute epoxy with the kit or better yet read though the sticky and choose what meets your build methods. As crazy as it sounds the “right epoxy” is debated heavily in the High Power part of the hobby. Please consider using one of our great vendors from the vendor section. I am purposely being vague because I am biased on which vendors I go to the most.

Can’t wait to see your successful launch.
thanks for the input... i'll definitely plan ahead better for my next kit. appreciate this.
r-
Nice! I'm about to start sanding the fins out to prep for some filler primer this afternoon.
Just personal preference, but I don't really get into filling the body tube windings. I know a lot of people like to see that perfectly smooth finish, but I'm weird and sorta like the thin lines in most BTs. That's not to say I didn't fill the windings on my Saturn V tho.....I mean, some models you HAVE to. ;-) But for me I think I'll just fill the coupler joint and then sand down whatever the filler primer fills in for this model. When are you hoping to launch yours?
well.. next week in Dalzell SC. but i'm looking at the forecast.. and it's looking like rain.. :(

r-

Thanks for the great thread here, and nice work. I have been watching closely, since I am yet another Zephyr builder aiming for certification who started at the same time as you.

The main differences I have taken are 1. filled tube spirals with Elmer's filler and sanded to 400 grit before fin attach (hoping this eases paint prep). 2. substituted a OneBadHawk kevlar harness for the kit's nylon. I had seen a LOC IV L1 cert. flight last fall with a nylon harness very closely scrutinized for heat damage by the certifier; there wasn't any but I wanted to minimize any concerns here. 3. Am considering adding a 3d printed nose cone Ebay . Waiting to hear from Jonathan at Inverted Pursuits if he has a 4" sleeve that fits the Zephyr cone, so this may be a later modification.

Good luck on your flight.

Tim

ok.. so second coat of black paint on the NC, first coat of white on the tube. i'll have to wrap the BT when painting the fins black. it's been below 32 each night for the past 5 days here in florence.. except last night when it rained. so i've got a delonghi AC/Heater that i've got out in my shop. i crank that baby up to 80.. and in about an 2hrs i'll lower it to 70 where i'll keep it until tomorrow when the final paint for the NC will go on, and the second coat of white for the BT. GAAAAA... forgot to cover 1/2 of a fin... grrr. i'll work on that tomorrow mid-day prior to second coat of white. (noticed in the pic i posted)
Thanks for the great thread here, and nice work. I have been watching closely, since I am yet another Zephyr builder aiming for certification who started at the same time as you.

The main differences I have taken are 1. filled tube spirals with Elmer's filler and sanded to 400 grit before fin attach (hoping this eases paint prep). 2. substituted a OneBadHawk kevlar harness for the kit's nylon. I had seen a LOC IV L1 cert. flight last fall with a nylon harness very closely scrutinized for heat damage by the certifier; there wasn't any but I wanted to minimize any concerns here. 3. Am considering adding a 3d printed nose cone Ebay . Waiting to hear from Jonathan at Inverted Pursuits if he has a 4" sleeve that fits the Zephyr cone, so this may be a later modification.

Good luck on your flight.

Tim
thanks... looks like a small amount of rain next saturday.. so it'll be fun..!

r-

Attachments

• 20240106_154054.jpg
    20240106_154054.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
IMHO, epoxy is unnecessary unless you are planning to go supersonic or working with fiberglass tubes. With most cardboard tubes, the wood glue is stronger than the cardboard underneath plus more flexible (which is a good thing) and lighter than epoxy.

IMHO, epoxy is unnecessary unless you are planning to go supersonic or working with fiberglass tubes. With most cardboard tubes, the wood glue is stronger than the cardboard underneath plus more flexible (which is a good thing) and lighter than epoxy.

not even then is epoxy required for the exact reason you gave! The glue is stronger then the tube you're bonding it to! I've taken tightbond only loc vulconite on a CTI J600 red to 1157 mph. I think that's well above mach by my calculations.

btw, I'm still flying the rocket!

not even then is epoxy required for the exact reason you gave! The glue is stronger then the tube you're bonding it to! I've taken tightbond only loc vulconite on a CTI J600 red to 1157 mph. I think that's well above mach by my calculations.

btw, I'm still flying the rocket!
Agree. I have seen several fall apart after launching, especially when the rocket suddenly diverts probably due to a lost fin.

This is a Level 1 build attempt right? or is it a glue thread in disguise? Looking forward for the OPs success.
Yes.. it is, and no... this is NOT a glue thread. And thank you for the flight success message..!

For the 3 people that are messaging about epoxy/glue here in my Zephyr build thread.., did i know that i could use Tightbond II? Yes i did... I've stated my how/why reasons for building my Zephyr very early in this thread.. Stating this, currently there are 3 other Zephyr builders watching this build thread as we all started about the same time (probably so they won't make the same mistakes i make). I'd like to keep this thread on-point. thank you.

r-

Well... the DeLonghi AC/heater thought was good.. LOL but the unit couldn't keep up with all the humidity here in SC. the unit powered down sometime during night with the condenser water tank being full. when i checked this morning both the BT and NC were dry to the touch... but i know that the underlying paint is still curing. now i'll be looking at a space heater for my next build.

Later today when it heats up to 55, i'll hit the BT for the 2nd coat. the NC has 3 coats.. so thinking the NC is done.

Yesterday, i received my JL Altimeter 2, and Chute Release from Ken @ Performance Hobbies. So.. i'll get to test/play with the CR & Alt 2 somewhat prior to next Saturday.. and looking at the forecast.. i'll definitely need the CR on Saturday if flying... winds are projected at 17 to 19 mph. on sunday winds from 5 to 9 mph.

have a great sunday morning..

r-

Well... the DeLonghi AC/heater thought was good.. LOL but the unit couldn't keep up with all the humidity here in SC. the unit powered down sometime during night with the condenser water tank being full.

That was quick! Thanks for letting us know how it worked out.

If you don't already have it, the Windy app is useful onsite. It defaults to surface wind, but you can select different altitudes to see what's happening around apogee height.

Here's hoping your G80/CR tests work well and you have a great cert flight!

That was quick! Thanks for letting us know how it worked out.

If you don't already have it, the Windy app is useful onsite. It defaults to surface wind, but you can select different altitudes to see what's happening around apogee height.

Here's hoping your G80/CR tests work well and you have a great cert flight!
I'll check out the 'windy' app... thanks for that and your support for the L1 cert flight. btw: just sayin'... i do have the 2 G80's.. and also the H100W/DMS for the cert flight.
Early this morning after doing probably waaay to much research over the last couple of weeks for my L1 Cert., i pulled the trigger on the Zephyr, H100 AT DMS, Jolly Logic Alt. 2, Jolly Logic Chute Release.

As for my second rocket, i was thinking of either the mega initiator w/ebay, or the peringuene Thoughts on that?

r-

Well... the DeLonghi AC/heater thought was good.. LOL but the unit couldn't keep up with all the humidity here in SC. the unit powered down sometime during night with the condenser water tank being full. when i checked this morning both the BT and NC were dry to the touch... but i know that the underlying paint is still curing. now i'll be looking at a space heater for my next build.

Later today when it heats up to 55, i'll hit the BT for the 2nd coat. the NC has 3 coats.. so thinking the NC is done.

Yesterday, i received my JL Altimeter 2, and Chute Release from Ken @ Performance Hobbies. So.. i'll get to test/play with the CR & Alt 2 somewhat prior to next Saturday.. and looking at the forecast.. i'll definitely need the CR on Saturday if flying... winds are projected at 17 to 19 mph. on sunday winds from 5 to 9 mph.

have a great sunday morning..

r-
Well plan A failed miserably, Plan B (Lasco bearly warmed out 4')... failed almost as bad as Plan A, so went with Plan C which is a parabolic oscillating fan. This baby cranks!

On another note, I was just getting over that hellacious flu, and last night another pounding headache. Today feeling like I'm coming down with a cold..! LOL does it ever end?

Its too cold to spray paint today, and tomorrow its gonna rain. I might be able to spray a third coat on the BT Wednesday.. but now I'm not sure. The fins have only been primed.. so thinking paint fins, and maybe get to BT.

Current weight is 4.1 lbs., that includes the JLCR.

Have a great day, and I'll see ya'all on Saturday.

Attachments

• 20240108_154911.jpg
    20240108_154911.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240108_151653_Home Depot.jpg
    Screenshot_20240108_151653_Home Depot.jpg
    589.4 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_20240108_151343_Walmart.jpg
    Screenshot_20240108_151343_Walmart.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 0
2. substituted a OneBadHawk kevlar harness for the kit's nylon. I had seen a LOC IV L1 cert. flight last fall with a nylon harness very closely scrutinized for heat damage by the certifier; there wasn't any but I wanted to minimize any concerns here.

I would include some type of anti-zipper method to keep the kevlar from cutting the cardboard tube. I had many launches on my Minnie Magg with the strap with no issues. On the second flight after switching to kevlar I got a zipper on a nominal DD flight. This could be something like a small cloth wrapped around the cord where it would contact the body tube and held in place with several layers of electrical tape.

I would include some type of anti-zipper method to keep the kevlar from cutting the cardboard tube. I had many launches on my Minnie Magg with the strap with no issues. On the second flight after switching to kevlar I got a zipper on a nominal DD flight. This could be something like a small cloth wrapped around the cord where it would contact the body tube and held in place with several layers of electrical tape.
^^^ This, I have used blue painters tape with success, just make it wider and you’re good.

I added some fiberglass wrap to the very top end of the tube of some Cardboard large rockets and then covered it with checker board trim mono coat to keep harnesses from cutting.

On some smaller rockets even just the trim monocoat seemed to help.

I'm not sure why this thread went to other rockets. The OP selected the Zephyr for his L1 cert rocket which I think is an excellent choice. It's a little small for L1, but will work well on small H to large I motors. If it stays low enough on large I motors to fly on the OPs home field is something he will have to decide.

I just don't understand why people want to fly a MPR with a 29mm MMT for an L1 cert or a small L1 rocket with a 38mm MMT for an L2 cert and then not having a rocket to fly I or K motors on.

If you only want the cert and don't want to actually fly any motors in the cert range and want to save money, then those recommendations make some sense. If you do want to fly motors in your new cert range, then I don't understand why you wouldn't build a cert rocket that works well in the full range you are certing in at the field you fly on the most. L2 is a little different because of the large range of power. A 4", 10 lbs. rocket on a small J will be low and slow, but a mid L could put it well over 10,000 ft. so that's a range better handle by two or more rockets if you are east of the Mississippi.
I don't recall anyone pooing his FIRST choice which was the Zephyr. He asked for SECONDARY options and was given a few..... please rethink your first statement.

Back