Lost then Found

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

G's Monster Rocket

Best Bad Idea So Far
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I thought I would share this since it made me smile. I've been into HPR since last summer (2022). We, (family), launch in Arizona deserts at least once a month either in Red Lake, Near Kingman AZ or in the KOFA Wildlife Refuge near Salome. Both areas are pretty desolate but nothing alike. Red Lake is a dry lake bed with visibility for miles in any direction. As long as there's no rain the bed is dry. KOFA is a true desert terrain with cactus and scrub brush all over. Visibility at KOFA is excellent except in the enchanted forests of scrub brush and cactus and walking thru these can be daunting especially at dusk with coyotes and snakes. Last summer and early fall I spent perhaps 25 hours building a LOC SWR 300 and flew it at Red Lake over the September Labor Day weekend relatively successfully on a couple A/T G67R14's, and recovered easily within two 15 minute walks. With the second launch at Red Lake, the parachute didn't open all the way and the rocket landed hard on one fin, cracking the epoxy fillet. No worries, I can fix that and at home, proceeded to dig out the damaged fin, ground all the cured epoxy out and cleaned it up for the new fin placement. When that was done, I repainted it from the green color it was to a cool metalic blue and gave it a new name: PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY. On October 16, '22 we drove out to KOFA about a 90 minute drive west from Phoenix. Preparing my first attempt at Level 1 Certification, I made sure everything was "perfect" or as near as I could get it, to have a successful launch and recovery. At 8:31 am, with skies clear and blue and a mild breeze from the west, I set my blue Plausible Deniability up on the pad, after going thru everything with the RSO. Time to launch, 5, 4, 3,.... and gone. I mean I had listened to most of the advice you all had given me for the previous few months about certifying as simply as possible on the smallest motor to get to about 1000 ft and recovery but...no, I had to fly to the moon on my first attempt at L1 using an A/T I-284W14 white lightning motor. And after the rocket went skyward up, up and out of sight, it never came back. Never saw an event nor never saw it come down anywhere. We searched (9 of us) for several hours over about a 3 mile circle and nothing. After all the hours and painstaking effort to make this 2-1/2" rocket do it's thing, it chose to simply leave. No recovery...no CERT. UGH. No electronics on board at that point other than a Jolly Logic Altimeter 2. And we left KOFA...sans my rocket. I thought about what's next and decided to remake the same rocket, but better this time. And I did. I remade it and put another JL Alt 2 in it with an electronics beacon and an air tag...hoping this time to find it with my I phone. I launched in November at Red Lake with this new SWR 300 (yellow this time), and Certified L1. But I kept thinking about the Blue P/D and where it might have gone.

Long story made slightly shorter...I went solo to KOFA in December and Certified L2 on a scratch designed (not fully painted), and built a 6', 2.5" on a J500, and I again looked for Blue P/D while walking to recover the new L2 rocket after launch, but never saw it. On January 21st this year, we all went back to KOFA to launch as a family. While there, we met some of the others from SSS Rocketry also launching. Just before lunch, I saw one of the other rocket folks walking back from the desert with a familiar object in his hands. Yep, it was in fact, Plausible Deniability, still in tact after 3 months, still with everything in perfect shape, including paint, fins, nosecone, everything...even after weeks of rain in the area. We couldn't find it... but he could. He found it by looking up in a cactus where the rocket had impaled itself, intact, fins first into the body of the cactus. The parachute never deployed, the rocket never parted but it came down in one piece and landed in the cactus...whole. And here we are today, with the blue SWR intact, in my office on the shelf as a memento to "what's possible". I truly love this sport and plan to continue to design and build my own rockets, helping others as I can along the way.
Blue PD in January 2023.jpg

Attachments

• Green SWR Sept 2022.png
    Green SWR Sept 2022.png
    214.3 KB · Views: 2
  • Blue PD Cert L1 1st attempt.jpg
    Blue PD Cert L1 1st attempt.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Yellow SWR L1 Attempt 2  Nov 2022.png
    Yellow SWR L1 Attempt 2 Nov 2022.png
    388 KB · Views: 2
  • Yellow SWR and Green L2 Attempt.jpg
    Yellow SWR and Green L2 Attempt.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 1
  • Green L2 Cert Nov 2022.jpg
    Green L2 Cert Nov 2022.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 2
Congrats on getting PD back.

The land owner at our site has returned rockets, or pieces of rockets as much as 2 years after they were lost. Never give up hope.
BTW, you're not the first and certainly won't be the last to lose their rocket on a L1 cert flight. Trackers of one type or another are great things...

I thought I would share this since it made me smile. I've been into HPR since last summer (2022). We, (family), launch in Arizona deserts at least once a month either in Red Lake, Near Kingman AZ or in the KOFA Wildlife Refuge near Salome. Both areas are pretty desolate but nothing alike. Red Lake is a dry lake bed with visibility for miles in any direction. As long as there's no rain the bed is dry. KOFA is a true desert terrain with cactus and scrub brush all over. Visibility at KOFA is excellent except in the enchanted forests of scrub brush and cactus and walking thru these can be daunting especially at dusk with coyotes and snakes. Last summer and early fall I spent perhaps 25 hours building a LOC SWR 300 and flew it at Red Lake over the September Labor Day weekend relatively successfully on a couple A/T G67R14's, and recovered easily within two 15 minute walks. With the second launch at Red Lake, the parachute didn't open all the way and the rocket landed hard on one fin, cracking the epoxy fillet. No worries, I can fix that and at home, proceeded to dig out the damaged fin, ground all the cured epoxy out and cleaned it up for the new fin placement. When that was done, I repainted it from the green color it was to a cool metalic blue and gave it a new name: PLAUSIBLE DENIABILITY. On October 16, '22 we drove out to KOFA about a 90 minute drive west from Phoenix. Preparing my first attempt at Level 1 Certification, I made sure everything was "perfect" or as near as I could get it, to have a successful launch and recovery. At 8:31 am, with skies clear and blue and a mild breeze from the west, I set my blue Plausible Deniability up on the pad, after going thru everything with the RSO. Time to launch, 5, 4, 3,.... and gone. I mean I had listened to most of the advice you all had given me for the previous few months about certifying as simply as possible on the smallest motor to get to about 1000 ft and recovery but...no, I had to fly to the moon on my first attempt at L1 using an A/T I-284W14 white lightning motor. And after the rocket went skyward up, up and out of sight, it never came back. Never saw an event nor never saw it come down anywhere. We searched (9 of us) for several hours over about a 3 mile circle and nothing. After all the hours and painstaking effort to make this 2-1/2" rocket do it's thing, it chose to simply leave. No recovery...no CERT. UGH. No electronics on board at that point other than a Jolly Logic Altimeter 2. And we left KOFA...sans my rocket. I thought about what's next and decided to remake the same rocket, but better this time. And I did. I remade it and put another JL Alt 2 in it with an electronics beacon and an air tag...hoping this time to find it with my I phone. I launched in November at Red Lake with this new SWR 300 (yellow this time), and Certified L1. But I kept thinking about the Blue P/D and where it might have gone.

Long story made slightly shorter...I went solo to KOFA in December and Certified L2 on a scratch designed (not fully painted), and built a 6', 2.5" on a J500, and I again looked for Blue P/D while walking to recover the new L2 rocket after launch, but never saw it. On January 21st this year, we all went back to KOFA to launch as a family. While there, we met some of the others from SSS Rocketry also launching. Just before lunch, I saw one of the other rocket folks walking back from the desert with a familiar object in his hands. Yep, it was in fact, Plausible Deniability, still in tact after 3 months, still with everything in perfect shape, including paint, fins, nosecone, everything...even after weeks of rain in the area. We couldn't find it... but he could. He found it by looking up in a cactus where the rocket had impaled itself, intact, fins first into the body of the cactus. The parachute never deployed, the rocket never parted but it came down in one piece and landed in the cactus...whole. And here we are today, with the blue SWR intact, in my office on the shelf as a memento to "what's possible". I truly love this sport and plan to continue to design and build my own rockets, helping others as I can along the way.
View attachment 559784
Those SSS Folks are masters of finding rockets in the desert! Lord Of The Rings Rangers as a matter of fact!

He didn't happen to bring back an orange white wolf at the same time? It's out there at Kofa somewhere from my L1 cert attempt several years ago. They used to launch on the old runway just to the north but that thing punched through the cloud deck on an H motor and that was the last anyone ever heard from it. Now we have egg timer gps stuff in all the tiny medium power stuff. So.e of us just have to learn our lessons the hard way :)

Not that I saw when I was there. We were out there in February and found several remnants of nosecones and payload tubes. Nothing of identifiable color or specifics. Most of what we found was severely weathered. We'll be back out there again 3rd weekend of this month as long as the weather is good. Lots of rain lately making the launch areas mud holes at best.

Back