My Path to Level One Certification.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome. Thats honestly my plan, a small J with a motor ejection then ill use my chute release. I picked the LOC 5.5" Magnum 3E, with the single 75mm mount for the L2 attempt. I trust the chute release, and I'm comfortable enough to use that for the cert flight.

Fly it without the Ebay and payload like an I-Roc and the Chute release on a smaller motor

I actually haven't flown my IROC. It's been siting in my living room since like aug. I bet it would be great for a L1 on the H130. I am probably going to buy a floating forward closure. I think this thing will need more than 1.5g charge for the parachute.

Attachments

• 525791-7aa099c70f01b8391c4a8ad7b414b97e.jpg
    525791-7aa099c70f01b8391c4a8ad7b414b97e.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
I'm going to test DD and 29mm stuff for a while after the L2 cert flight. I've been watching and reading how to fold the chutes for months now, and trying that out. This hobby definitely requires attention to every detail. I love that.
Speaking of attention-to-detaile, PLEASE take John Beans' instructions to heart: before each flight, for example, perform a "shake test". I've seen a sloppily-fitted rubber band assembly (on a parachute/Chute Release setup) loaded into a rocket, then, at apogee, due to turbulence come apart prematurely. The flyer put the blame on the Chute Release, not on his sloppy and hastily-packed assembly. I LOVE my Chute Releases! I've learned from others to 'split' the bands that encircle the parachute so as to maximize its grip and thus survive both the 'shake test' AND the turbulence as my rocket tumbles down to its preset release altitude.
Also, don't forget both to charge its battery, as well as to turn it on(!) before you walk away from the launch pad. . .

Speaking of attention-to-detaile, PLEASE take John Beans' instructions to heart: before each flight, for example, perform a "shake test". I've seen a sloppily-fitted rubber band assembly (on a parachute/Chute Release setup) loaded into a rocket, then, at apogee, due to turbulence come apart prematurely. The flyer put the blame on the Chute Release, not on his sloppy and hastily-packed assembly. I LOVE my Chute Releases! I've learned from others to 'split' the bands that encircle the parachute so as to maximize its grip and thus survive both the 'shake test' AND the turbulence as my rocket tumbles down to its preset release altitude.
Also, don't forget both to charge its battery, as well as to turn it on(!) before you walk away from the launch pad. . .
Thank you for bringing that up, I haven't used my release much but always check the battery. I picked up a jumper pack that has USB charger parts too as well as power my launch controller when I'm on my own messing around with low power stuff. I carry it all in my range box for field charging if needed. I've read quite a few threads, I've gotten some hair bands but just grabbed them quickly, they will work. Another thing is adding a backup line to the pin and main attachment points. The main tether goes on the quicklink then the backup around a shroud line. I've also gotten a streamer for it should still separate from everything. But as well recently read in the instructions about the Shake test as well.

I've messed with it a bunch, but honestly only used it one time this year and it worked beautifully. I sent it up once on my Big Daddy to try it out, might as see if I know what I'm doing. I'm more to blame myself over equipment, I understand equipment fails but you have to prepare for that or just get it right next time. Thanks I appreciate the advice!

I may have to edit that im in a rush on my phone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230821-135708_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230821-135708_Chrome.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20231204_201350.jpg
    20231204_201350.jpg
    8.9 MB · Views: 0
Fly it without the Ebay and payload like an I-Roc and the Chute release on a smaller motor
I've been thinking a lot and even as of today. I'll probably switch the main to the drouge spot and use single deployment and the release. But I'm getting a RRC2 anyways, so thinking about just a backup for motor ejection with a baby J. I want as less to go wrong as possible for the cert flight. But don't think it would be bad to use a backup to the motor ejection then set the release altitude for the conditions. I'll just use sheer pins or screws to keep the nosecone in the forward section and the av bay will be empty or one altimeter. Will be ordering this soon, I like to put it all together first in my head. Thank you, I appreciate it.

I've been thinking a lot and even as of today. I'll probably switch the main to the drouge spot and use single deployment and the release. But I'm getting a RRC2 anyways, so thinking about just a backup for motor ejection with a baby J. I want as less to go wrong as possible for the cert flight. But don't think it would be bad to use a backup to the motor ejection then set the release altitude for the conditions. I'll just use sheer pins or screws to keep the nosecone in the forward section and the av bay will be empty or one altimeter. Will be ordering this soon, I like to put it all together first in my head. Thank you, I appreciate it.

If flying a 5.5 I-Roc on a 38mm put a small amount of extra powder on the motor disk (CTI) or in the ejection well (AT)

My IROC deployed fine on Motor Ejection, But later in life I saw a few rockets that did not without boosted charges... I'm old so who know if they solved this from 20 years ago...

If flying a 5.5 I-Roc on a 38mm put a small amount of extra powder on the motor disk (CTI) or in the ejection well (AT)

My IROC deployed fine on Motor Ejection, But later in life I saw a few rockets that did not without boosted charges... I'm old so who know if they solved this from 20 years ago...
I have no clue if they solved it, my issue was the ejection charge worked great just 2 seconds after ignition, lol. I was lucky I overbuilt it. I'm just getting my foot in the door for high power and personal experience. But if that's still an issue ill remember it. Thank you.

I thought I could just pack the chute my way and fly, I was wrong... Always watch the video
Thanks for that advice, quite a few have good L1 tips and tricks videos on YouTube. Apogee is a good one too I've watched many just now with DD, also just reading the posts here. But a lot of my high power info came from the Rocketry Show.com podcasts or Braden that does RocketVlogs. Thank you, I appreciate your time. 🚀

If, on a model or mid-power rocket, I'm using a Quest / AeroTech motor and the airframe of my rocket is 1.6 inches (40mm) or greater, I remove, carefully using needlenose pliers or a fine hemostat, the soft plastic inverted cup that retains the original ejection charge, empty that charge onto a V-folded sheet of paper and augment the powder by 10-20%, then reintroduce it to the motor's ejection well and reseal it with its stopper.
I haven't had a failure-to-separate since, on any size airframe up to and including 5.5 inches.

Ok. I've been having issues with my cell phone, it logs me out every 2 weeks I need to log back in, lol....

The filter was stuck on threads I was looking at, so. All of these were at the end. As the filter wasn't setup. I've been looking daily for ny threads but never able to find them...

Lol...User Error...ugh!

Latest posts

Back