Estes SST Scout

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prowlerguy

Reaction score
The SST Scout is the model Estes provided to Michael's for the Boy Scout build-n-take. I would like to share a few observations:

1) Unless they start selling these, then NIB copies will be collector's items, as most people only order enough for their troop or pack.

2) This construction was unique, in that it took no glue or knives, yet was not an RTF.

Does anyone know if this is the future for Estes entry-level kits? A fair amount of engineering went into the design and molds for this. It wouldn't make sense to just use if for this one-time project.

I will post a flight report after this weekend.

Estes sells this kit through hobby shops as the Firestreak SST.

The color and decals are different but it is the same kit.

It is my understanding that the molds and parts were made in China where the cost is very low.

I'll be darned. Thanks for pointing that out for me. I had never seen the Firestreak. Still might be a collector's item, though.

Originally posted by prowlerguy
I'll be darned. Thanks for pointing that out for me. I had never seen the Firestreak. Still might be a collector's item, though.

Yes, it could end up being a collector's item. ;)

A question. How were the kits packaged? As individual kits, bags of parts, etc.?

Thanks.

I ended up with an extra 'SST Scout' still in its package since I had to guess how many kids would show up 3 months ago. Initiator 001: they come packaged as individual kits, they even have the Firestreak instructions in them but are made of molded red plastic and have a 'SST Scout' peel off decal. I'll try to get a picture of the kit in its bag posted soon, but in the meantime you can see what our Scout build looked like at: www.scouts532.com/cub scouts/cub pictures/0405 pack/rocket_build.htm .

Thanks for the info, but Dang It! I'm taking our pack to Michaels Friday night for a build. When I signed up in February, Michaels couldn't give me any details on what the model would be, but now I know. Now I find out it's the Firestreak/SST Scout . . . all plastic. Yuk!

Oh well, at least the boys get and opportunity to be boys, and I'm sure they'll have images of a launch coming up.

If nothing else, I at least ordered a ratio of nearly 3:1, so we'll have plenty of extras.

Yeah, the plastic part kind of disappointed me but I figured having the kids try to glue together a rocket and have it be flyable, in 45 minutes would be stretching reality ;) I already had all my kids, and a few parents too, build CD spool rockets. I cut engine tubes to length, drill ed out the center ring on half the CDS, put launch rod holes in all of the CDs, then cut a bunch of 18mm spent engines into 1/4" rings for thrust blocks. I also cut 1/4" rings out of spent 24mm engines to provide a glueing surface on the bottom end of the tube. The kids constructed the engine tubes and picked out what CDs they wanted, then I took it all home and epoxied them together (no way do I trust 20 1st thru 5th graders with 5 minute epoxy :eek: ). Lots of fun, and a lesson in recycling too!!
Hope your build goes well and everyone has fun!

Picture of SST Scout in package. You can see the 'Firestreak' instructions in the package. It is marked as Estes kit EST-1296.

Hey, how about a picture of them CD rockets! I'd love to see what one actually looks like.

Check this link, about halfway down there are a couple pics of the kids CD spools:
www.scouts532.com/cub scouts/cub pictures/0405 pack/april_05.htm
Your best bet is to copy and paste it in the browser, or go to www.scouts532.com and then go to Cub Scouts, 04-05 meetings, then to April 05.

Latest posts

Back