Estes Dark Energy #7219

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ECayemberg

Reaction score
The new Estes Dark Energy kit has been a pleasant surprise several times over now, so I feel compelled to share with a few posts here. The first surprise came when the Dark Energy kit was gifted to us at NARAM 54 for participating. What a nice gift from the fine folks at Estes; Thank you!

The bulk of construction occurred a few days back when an hour was suddenly freed up; the wife was out and about and the kids had just gone to bed. Looking at a small pile of new rocket kits on top of the cabinet, the Dark Energy was selected as it looked to a fairly quick project that I could assemble while reclining in my living room with the TV on for background noise.

I began by freeing the fins from their host sheet. Yet another surprise; I never realized from the header card, catalog, or website photos that this kit has FIVE fins. That’s unique:cyclops:, cool! Not surprising, but pleasing as well, was the outstanding laser cutting of the fins. Precise cuts that made for minimal sanding and easy removal from the sheets. With the fins freed, I took a minute or two to sand the perimeter of the fins simply to eliminate any bumps from the balsa sprues (ok, I actually got out of the chair for this step).

The next pleasant surprise was an ingenious fin jig supplied with the kit. When gluing the outer fins onto the ends of the inner fins, this jig serves as a right angle alignment guide. Thus, the two-piece fins were united using a modest amount of Titebond. After checking their perpendicular status, they were allowed to dry for a while.

While the fin assemblies set, the motor mount was constructed. Nothing unusual here; a 2.75” length of BT-20, thrust ring on the forward end, motor clip, exterior retaining ring, and a pair of BT-55 to BT-20 centering rings. Glued up and set aside to dry.

Now on a roll, the trusty tri-fold shock cord mount was glued up per instructions and set aside to partially cure. Wife wasn’t home yet, so on we go. The fin marking guide was cut from the instructions, wrapped around the tube, and marked appropriately. Lines were extended courtesy of graphite lead and a handy window frame. The shock cord mount was glued into the forward section of the airframe. Checking on the motor mount assembly, I discovered that the glue had dried enough to keep everything in place and therefore it was time to glue the assembly into the airframe. Two rings of glue around the perimeter of the ID of the tube and into place it went. There is a neat molded plastic tailcone provided with the kit, and this was used during this step to ensure the motor mount was placed far enough forward into the airframe to allow for the tailcone’s shoulder later on in construction. With all the internals complete, the BT-55 airframe was set aside to dry.

Still free to do as I pleased, I decided to tack the fins in place. Using the double glue approach, the five fins were on in no time. Thanks to another pleasant surprise, alignment was a breeze. The fin jig mentioned earlier doubles as a fin alignment jig as well, ensuring perpendicular alignment with the airframe as well as perfect alignment with the neighboring fin (72 degrees on centerline). I'll post a photo of the jig later on. Before calling it a night, the launch lug was tacked in place as well and all was set aside to dry overnight.

Here's a shot of the fin area; visible are the slot-and-tabs that lock the perpendicular fins together. The fit was precise enough that the pieces stayed in place once interlocked, without the tendency to wander out of alignment.

8-20-12047.jpg

...and a fuzzy shot looking down at the five unique fin sets.

8-20-12048.jpg

Lastly for now, a shot of the Dark Energy's structure including the newly molded cone very closely resembling the rare Rigel 3/Odyssey nose cone. Note, this is a nicely molded piece with fairly clean mold lines. Plenty of opportunity here for a lot of detailing if one so desires.

8-20-12049.jpg

Since the photos were taken, all mating balsa-balsa and balsa-paper joints were filleted. The tabs where the fins interlocked were filled with a bit of Fill N' Finish. The plan is to primer the bird today, paint tomorrow, and have it on the pad for a club launch on Saturday. More to come....

-Eric-

Thanks Neuport!

I must have mislocated the fin alignment jig, so here's the next best thing: the scrap balsa sheet where it once resided.

8-20-12.jpg

Shown in black here, the top and right sides are used to marry the two piece fins as one; 90 degrees or perpendicular to one another. Later on in assembly, the lower right corner (rounded) rests against the airframe while the right side and lower left side maintain spacing and perpendicularity relative to the airframe; a 72 degree spread between fins. A neat little device Estes provided with the kit!

-Eric-

Looking great Eric. I've seen pictures of this bird, I never noticed it had five fins either - Like.

If anyone knows of or comes up with a Rocksim file for this, PLEASE let me know. I spent a bunch of time trying to figure out a way to do fin tips in Rocksim such as they are done on this model (ie, NOT parallel to the airframe, but kicked back at an angle). As far as I know, it cannot be done, but I would love to be proven wrong.

s6

Although the fins look cool, isn't that a HUGE amount of drag? Why would anyone want to use this design? Unless you are trying to do a slow and low takeoff I guess.

Although the fins look cool, isn't that a HUGE amount of drag? Why would anyone want to use this design? Unless you are trying to do a slow and low takeoff I guess.

Because it looks cool. Estes' designs are seldom performance based.

Yes, a huge amount of drag. Horrible design if performance is your main concern.

but................

Sometimes, style trumps performance. Different rockets, different intentions. With some rockets, every tiny detail that affects altitude or speed performance must be attended to, with others as long as it flys it's all good. "Cool" counts for a lot in some cases.

s6

Yep, Chad and Stealth are right on! I like a good variety of rockets; I fly from Micromaxx to O (maybe P in 2013), I like to fly fast and I like to fly slow. Variety is great; this is a visually exciting design that will excel if you have a limited recovery area! The field I'll be flying from this weekend is roughly 1200' square; 8' tall corn borders at least one, and maybe 3 of the 4 sides of the field. This should make for a perfect low, slow, and draggy B6-2 or C6-3 flight!

This design reminds me of the Photon Disruptor II. These futuristic type models aren't normally my first picks. That said, when I was gifted the PDII about 20 years back, the completed model was impressive on static or in flight; it remains one of my favorites today! It too is fairly draggy and relatively heavy for the 18mm mount; that may very well be the reason I still have it today! This slightly non-conventional design is great just the same; it's simply different from many 3FNC models and the brief build has been an absolute joy with the previously mentioned series of surprises.:cool:.

Pick one up, you'll like it; I promise!

-Eric-

There's a lot to be said for low and slow. Sometiimes the coolest flights are the ones you can easily track from launch to touch down.

Yet another on my "must have" list. Lots of Estes kits on that list for some reason....

Eric,

Sorry to say our paths didn't cross at NARAM 54. Must not have spent enough hanging around the sport range.
I got a nice kit from the folks at Estes for just signing up as a non-flying NARAM attendee.

John

I agree alot of drag,I also am with Chadrog,looks cool! I just built a Photon Disruptor,very draggy model but it looks cool. I left the fins squared as the image shown.
Great job on the Dark Energy ECayemberg, looking forward to see the finished bird. Thanks for posting the build. I bet it has a slow cool liftoff like a Big Bertha.

There's a lot to be said for low and slow. Sometiimes the coolest flights are the ones you can easily track from launch to touch down.

Right on, and one of the reasons the Big Bertha has always been popular. The Bertha being big for it's day had a much slower lift off that you could see. The Dark Energy design is really cool, not design to win altitude contests.

I agree alot of drag,I also am with Chadrog,looks cool! I just built a Photon Disruptor,very draggy model but it looks cool. I left the fins squared as the image shown.
Great job on the Dark Energy ECayemberg, looking forward to see the finished bird. Thanks for posting the build. I bet it has a slow cool liftoff like a Big Bertha.

Umm... draggy designs look awesome bigger.... the grown ups 1a.jpg

Nice build.... now how to upscale that NC.....

Eric,

Sorry to say our paths didn't cross at NARAM 54. Must not have spent enough hanging around the sport range.
I got a nice kit from the folks at Estes for just signing up as a non-flying NARAM attendee.

John

Hi John!

Sorry I missed you; though I was only able to attend Saturday-Sunday, and thus Sport Range only as you mention.

There's a Johnly product in the upper right hand corner of the second photo of the original post;).

-Eric-

Great comments folks:). Glad others are enjoying the unique design (and the other great recent offerings from Estes) as much as I am!

Applied 3 rounds of primer and 2 rounds of sanding last night. A coat of my favorite primer: Plasti-kote "Sandable Primer" was applied, dried, and sanded an hour later. I love this stuff as it is lacquer based and sands like a dream. A second coat was applied and sanded a bit later. Finally gave the final coat of white primer and let sit overnight.

Two small glue craters were filled at lunch where bubbles in the fillets existed.

Paint this evening and a few photos to follow!

-Eric-

Great build thread Eric ,glad you are doing one ! I was interested in this kit ,and now I really need to get one and ASAP ,I love the fin design...and 5 of them !!

I also like that Solar Warrior ,similar and also very cool.

I look forward to the finished build ,very nice !

Paul T

Last edited:
I'm thinking TRF has probably sold more Estes rockets then any other form of advertising.

That and their face lift that they have gone through in the last coue of years. It's nice to see some good designs coming out from them again.

Hi John!

Sorry I missed you; though I was only able to attend Saturday-Sunday, and thus Sport Range only as you mention.

There's a Johnly product in the upper right hand corner of the second photo of the original post;).

-Eric-

Our paths would have crossed on Saturday, but United cancelled by Friday PM flight out of town. The next flight oppertunity didn't get me to Muskegon until 6PM on Saturday, just in time for the NAR dinner meeting. Sunday was NAR meetings all day, so I didn't get out the flying field until Monday. Are you going to make it to NARAM 55?

John

Now this is an idea for an upscale! :)
BTW... does anyone know if this kit is carried in places like Walmart, Micheal's, or maybe AC Moore? Would love to be able to go to one and pick one up versus having to order online. Unfortunately there are very few local hobby stores here and they don't carry much rocketry items.

I can't say for AC Moore, Micheal's used to carry rockets, but that was a decade or so back, Walmart, not around here, they don't even sell model's or model paint anymore!

Hobby Lobby is your best bet...

+1 for Hobby Lobby. I haven't checked lately but it wouldn't surprise me. Walmart got out of the rocket business some years back, and most Micheals around the country tends to carry just Ready to Fly and a few starter sets, though as noted some don't carry rocket stuff at all.

I will check Hobby Lobby as soon as it is opened since it is currently being built.

Back