Boyce Aerospace Hobbies is Back!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have finished mine, too, and it has not flown, yet. I am also planning to use a PefectFlite timer. With D12's in the first stage and an E12-4 in the second stage I needed to put 8.6 ounces of ballast in the nose cone. Shown in the photo is a picture of the Boyce Nike Hercules on the left and the Roachwerks Nike Hercules that I converted to 2-stage on the right. The Roachwerks Nike Hercules is sports scale, so I am thinking that the Boyce model might be closer to true scale.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 99
FWIW, some years ago I acquired the plans for the Pad's Hercules and I was going to build it. A problem I had, was finding the right size tubes in commercial tubing (at the time), so I used the closest size and customized the shrouds to fit. My 'pseudo' version is based on the Roachworks plans attached.

Attachments

• Nike Hercules.pdf
    55.7 KB · Views: 13
Working on my Boyce 3.90 Mercury Redstone. Alpha III for scale.

MikeIMG_2047.JPG

Working on my Boyce 3.90 Mercury Redstone. Alpha III for scale.

MikeView attachment 378990

Finished my Boyce Redstone up few months back. Most likely won't fly till July. I'd suggest putting a proper eyebolt and real centering rings in it though. Kinda regret doing it the way they suggested because it'll most likely break off. I got the capsule decals from Stickershock.

IMG_0378.jpeg

Looks great. What motor are you looking at? Got my capsule stickers from them. I had John do the wraps.
Mike

Looks great. What motor are you looking at? Got my capsule stickers from them. I had John do the wraps.
Mike

No clue. Can't even sim the damn thing lol. Assuming it'll weigh around 2lbs on the pad, perhaps a G64. BTW, be careful with the spire on top of the tower. Snapped mine off at the halfway point when I was carrying it. It hit the top of the doorway. I still have the piece but it seems like every glue I throw at it, it doesn't hold.

Thanks for the heads up. I tried Plastruck cement which worked well on other plastics but not this stuff, ended up using CA.
Mikeshopping.jpg

I launched my Boyce Nike-Hercules on Saturday for the first time successfully using four D12-3's in the first stage and an E12-4 in the second stage. All motors fired successfully using Blackjack's e-matches. I used a PerfectFlite minitimer4 with a 9-volt Duracell battery for second stage ignition. The plastic disc retainer failed to hold 3 of the D12's in place and they were ejected and so only one 1st stage parachute was deployed. Things are cramp in the second stage and it is best to do as much of the second stage prep at home on the bench. I ended up putting a semi-permanent wire through the second stage that wired into the minitimer rather than a e-match. An ematch with very short leads was then attached to this semi-permanent wire at the base of the second stage. I used a shorting plug to arm the second stage electronics. I used a competition aluminized mylar chute for Aerospace Speciality Products for the second stage recovery. Although this chute was really scrunched up in the second stage, the 8 oz of ballast in the second stage nose cone was enough to open the chute successfully. All printed plastic parts are fine. The E12-4 is lot # A 06 22 12.

Attachments

• 035.JPG
    035.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 56
  • 037.JPG
    037.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 56
  • 039.JPG
    039.JPG
    20 KB · Views: 51
  • 040.JPG
    040.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 041.JPG
    041.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
My daughter found a video for the Nike Hercules launch. The model takes off very fast. You can make out a little bit of the second stage smoke trail, but things happen so fast that the second stage flight is not captured. The first stage has a hard landing. I did stop-action for the first stage and I can see at least two D12's being rear ejected. If you listen closely, you can hear the multiple D12 ejection charges popping.

One tip worth mentioning is that if you get a mini-timer4 warning during prepping, check to see if the timer is vertical. I did this mistake several times.

Attachments

• IMG_0686.JPG
    IMG_0686.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0687.JPG
    IMG_0687.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_0688.JPG
    IMG_0688.JPG
    99.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0692.JPG
    IMG_0692.JPG