Estes Great Goblin Advertisement

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's crossed my mind that the DRM nose cone could be used. But that NC is probably better suited to PNC-56 upscales due to the long straight at the base -even more (proportionally) than the DBRM. I haven't measured the OAL yet. An accurate upscale NC would be 6.18 inches long. The Astron Sprint XL cone is a little short at 5.28 inches.

I hear @cerving makes good trackers, and you launch at Lucerne, so in any case, my advice would be to grow a pair and make it 38mm MD.

So I got home and actually measured a DRM cone, PNC-60AH. It turns out that the end of the straight at the base, where it actually starts to taper, is close enough to call it 14mm from the base. Which gives the tapered part of the cone the exact same fineness ratio, to three significant figures, as the Goblin. Just have to paint the bottom 9/16" of the cone airframe color to have it look perfect, and tolerate the split being a little more visible because it's not in a color transition. Just like using the DBRM cone to build a 3-in Goblin.

I have no idea why upscaling Goblins to BT-60 using DRM cones isn't a thing, but it should be.

So I got home and actually measured a DRM cone, PNC-60AH. It turns out that the end of the straight at the base, where it actually starts to taper, is close enough to call it 14mm from the base. Which gives the tapered part of the cone the exact same fineness ratio, to three significant figures, as the Goblin. Just have to paint the bottom 9/16" of the cone airframe color to have it look perfect, and tolerate the split being a little more visible because it's not in a color transition. Just like using the DBRM cone to build a 3-in Goblin.

I have no idea why upscaling Goblins to BT-60 using DRM cones isn't a thing, but it should be.
Idea: chop the cone at the right point for a Goblin cone, epoxy in a new shoulder, size body tube to the exact upscale length. Have considered doing this for the 3", but have to admit I probably won't bother unless I get really bored someday.

I agree, the DBRM was basically a box of parts, mainly the nose cone. I guess I was expecting a 3ā€ version of the MDRM. Built up balsa fins like the Mega Mosquito, the same waterslide decal set as the MDRM (but scaled to 3ā€ of course), not stickers. The ā˜ ļø parachute was a good idea, but printed thin nylon, and not that thick plastic.

Obviously I was way off, but whatever. I guess they had reasons for what was in the box.
I really don't understand why people bash this kit so hard. The multi-piece fins took me all of about an hour (for all three fins, 20 minutes each??) to glue together. I substituted home made basswood centering rings from on-hand stock, just a personal choice, not really necessary. Even the stickers weren't that bad.
The only real complaint I had with the kit was that piece of heavy trash-bag parachute. I made my own nylon one, for about $1.25.

Attachments

• DBR Max parachute.jpg
    DBR Max parachute.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
  • Der Big Red Max.jpg
    Der Big Red Max.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
The Goblins release is getting closer and this email from Estes shows it and some other rocket šŸ¤”

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-10-20 053255.png
    Screenshot 2023-10-20 053255.png
    322.8 KB · Views: 0
Zombie appears to be an Athena with a 2-inch longer BT and BNG (bold new graphics) that you have to build yourself.

I wonder how many dad/kid combos will be sold and how many new people will get sucked into the hobby with this pairing.
If I were to get one it might be as an ā€œemergencyā€ rocket, one to pick up from a trailer and build at the range because everything else got trashed or lost early. I did that with the actual Athena once.

The goblin is already available, bought one yesterday.
I've been checking the Estes website weekly and surprisingly last night the Goblin was in the Pro Series II kits available to order. I was able to purchase one last night direct from Estes. I do have a tracking number for Monday delivery. Price is $64.99.

"Get ready for a rocketry experience like no other! If you've got some experience under your belt, this rocket is your ticket to a whole new level of excitement. Get set for launches that'll make your heart race, impressive altitudes, and smooth landings - it's all in a day's fun with the Great Goblin! At 33.5 inches long and boasting a robust 3.0-inch diameter, the Great Goblin is engineered for pure rocketry excellence. This sleek marvel is not just a rocket; it's a testament to craftsmanship and innovation. With a weight of 16.5 ounces, it's a powerhouse ready to defy gravity!"

"With strong E16-4 and F15-6 engines, the Great Goblin packs a punch. Hang on as it zooms skyward, reaching an incredible estimated max height of 880 feet! You'll see the world in a whole new way! No need to worry, a 24" nylon parachute recovery ensures a graceful return to Earth so that the Great Goblin can be enjoyed over and over again! Crafted with balsa fin materials and a blow-molded plastic nose cone, the Great Goblin combines durability with precision engineering. The water slide decals let you add your own personal touch, making it truly yours. Setting up for launch is a breeze! Whether you opt for the E Launch Pad or the Pro Series Pad, both are compatible with the Great Goblin's 1/4" launch rod size. It's a seamless experience that ensures you're up and soaring in no time. Recommended for ages 18 and up, the Great Goblin is for those who crave the thrill of conquering the skies. This rocket is more than a hobby; it's an adrenaline-fueled adventure that'll leave you wanting more. Experience the rush, feel the power, and let your inner rocketeer shine! Grab the Great Goblin and join the ranks of the sky conquerors! Elevate your rocketry game and let the epic adventures begin! Order yours now and prepare for liftoff into a world of excitement and wonder!"

Last edited:
I really don't understand why people bash this kit so hard. The multi-piece fins took me all of about an hour (for all three fins, 20 minutes each??) to glue together. I substituted home made basswood centering rings from on-hand stock, just a personal choice, not really necessary. Even the stickers weren't that bad.
Preach, brother. The Der Big Red Max kit is the greatest set of parts that Estes has ever offered. Looking around my studio I see no less than eight sport flyers that started life as DBRM models. I have no doubt that the Great Goblin will ignite a similar burst of industry and creativity.

James

If I were to get one it might be as an ā€œemergencyā€ rocket

Ooh, an emergency rocket??? A rocket that you actually must have??? I mean, if itā€™s for emergencies, you gotta have one. Right?

Oh man, that means I get to buy an emergency rocketā€¦ I can see the RedCross logo on it alreadyā€¦ Shane, does that go in with a first aid kit, or with the fire extinguisher?

Are the fins the "sandwich" type like on a Mega Der Red Max? [plywood cores that go thru the wall of the body with balsa outer sheets that don't]
No, from the PDF attached above, I can see they are two-part fins from a single sheet of Balsa -- an upper half and a lower half -- more like the DBRM fins.

Ooh, an emergency rocket??? A rocket that you actually must have??? I mean, if itā€™s for emergencies, you gotta have one. Right?

Oh man, that means I get to buy an emergency rocketā€¦ I can see the RedCross logo on it alreadyā€¦ Shane, does that go in with a first aid kit, or with the fire extinguisher?
A ha! A ha! šŸ™„

IMG_0320.gif

Preach, brother. The Der Big Red Max kit is the greatest set of parts that Estes has ever offered. Looking around my studio I see no less than eight sport flyers that started life as DBRM models. I have no doubt that the Great Goblin will ignite a similar burst of industry and creativity.

James

Not going to quite go as far as James - itā€™s a very nice kit, built with the OEM parts itā€™s a flexible flyer and if you like the ā€œcartoonyā€ style (which I do) itā€™s a good looking rocket, swapping in heavier, more rugged parts gives you a great low-end HPR rocket, but the multi-part fins are just ok, the good thick plastic chute would be a great chute if it were fabric and even though I get Estesā€™ reasoning behind the self-adhesive decals Iā€™d much prefer waterslides.

I built the first of my four kits with plywood fins and rings courtesy of our library maker space ($5!) and had a perfect flight on a big Aerotech F motor with a perfect recovery under a generic 24ā€ red nylon PSII chute. Next will be a straight stock build (hopefully it comes out light enough for BP motors), then, maybe, an upscale of the original stretched Der Big Red Max bashed from the last two.

And now Estes just had to add the Great Goblin! Iā€™ll need at least two so I can do one with plywood parts and one OEMā€¦

Not going to quite go as far as James - itā€™s a very nice kit, built with the OEM parts itā€™s a flexible flyer and if you like the ā€œcartoonyā€ style (which I do) itā€™s a good looking rocket, swapping in heavier, more rugged parts gives you a great low-end HPR rocket, but the multi-part fins are just ok, the good thick plastic chute would be a great chute if it were fabric and even though I get Estesā€™ reasoning behind the self-adhesive decals Iā€™d much prefer waterslides.

I built the first of my four kits with plywood fins and rings courtesy of our library maker space ($5!) and had a perfect flight on a big Aerotech F motor with a perfect recovery under a generic 24ā€ red nylon PSII chute. Next will be a straight stock build (hopefully it comes out light enough for BP motors), then, maybe, an upscale of the original stretched Der Big Red Max bashed from the last two.

And now Estes just had to add the Great Goblin! Iā€™ll need at least two so I can do one with plywood parts and one OEMā€¦
Or how about a Mega Great Goblin?

Back