Estes Space X Falcon 9 advertisement w/price

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

turbofireball

Model Rocket Fanatic
Reaction score
This advertisement appears in my new issue of Sport Rocketry. It mentions the MSRP, and the fact that it is available exclusively online from Estes. I can only assume it will also be available from Space X online, and that hobby shops (both online and brick & mortar) will not have them.

Attachments

• falcon.jpg
    falcon.jpg
    954.2 KB · Views: 5
... I can only assume it will also be available from Space X online ...

Here's how I imagine the conversation went:

SpaceX: Look we made this rocket, you should make a model version.
Estes: N'ah you're a junior, we're good.
SpaceX: Look we made a model version. Why don't you take over.
Estes: N'ah we're good.
SpaceX: Look we launch more often than anyone else and don't need to sell models anymore.
Estes: ...
SpaceX: ...
Estes: ...
SpaceX: ...
Estes: Um ... about that model rocket ...
SpaceX: Yeah, we're good.

Darn, I had at least hoped it wouldn't be already assembled. Though I suppose since it is $150 it comes with an onboard computer that activates the working landing legs and upper stage?

This advertisement appears in my new issue of Sport Rocketry. It mentions the MSRP, and the fact that it is available exclusively online from Estes. I can only assume it will also be available from Space X online, and that hobby shops (both online and brick & mortar) will not have them.
Having seen both the model and the packaging, $150 strikes me as an absolute bargain. I was expecting $200 or more.

James

$150 for an 18mm RTF ain't happening. First off, it should be a 24mm like the one SpaceX put out a while back which is the same size body tube and was about $60ish MSRP when it was being made, second why pay $150 for an 18mm RTF when you can get the Boyce Falcon 9 with dragon capsule for $60 AND it's 24mm?. Their Falcon Heavy isn't even $150 lol. Estes is dreaming on that one.

It might objectively be appropriately-priced, but I wonder how many people will want to shell out that kind of money for something like this.
By all accounts, it's a high-quality display model that can in theory fly. So I expect they'll sell tons of them as static models, albeit perhaps more through SpaceX than through Estes, and I doubt we'll see too many at club launches. Still, I'm sure someone will show up with one someday, and I look forward to seeing it.

$150 for an 18mm RTF ain't happening. First off, it should be a 24mm like the one SpaceX put out a while back which is the same size body tube and was about $60ish MSRP when it was being made, second why pay $150 for an 18mm RTF when you can get the Boyce Falcon 9 with dragon capsule for $60 AND it's 24mm?. Their Falcon Heavy isn't even $150 lol. Estes is dreaming on that one.
But those other model options don't have the "shelf queen appeal" this one has.

Langford said at some point at NARCON that one of the main points of the 1/200 models (Saturn V, SLS) was to have a "Desktop Display" model that, oh, also happens to fly. Something that executives at aerospace companies and vendors (all those contributors to TARC) would buy. As for this particular model, I'm quite sure everything, including the price point, and the Starlink-styled packaging, was dictated by SpaceX.

Turbo,

Dude, you beat me to the punch.
I received my Nov/Dec issue of Sport Rocketry Monday and was thinking of posting the Estes Falcon 9 ad but decided to get a new rocket finished to fly this Saturday.

I will post before you next time when the 'you-know-what' is announced from 'you-know-who'. ;)

It might objectively be appropriately-priced, but I wonder how many people will want to shell out that kind of money for something like this.
Thousands will buy this model. Maybe tens-of-thousands.

This model is for Space X fans more than model rocketeers.

A few who buy this model will fly it but most will be content to have it on a shelf in their office/den. ;)

I suspect that if Estes is able to get this model out before Christmas that it will end up on many "Top 10 Geek Gifts for Christmas" polls/lists.

Estes is quite aware of the market for this product and it is NOT model rocketeers.
This is a product for Space X fans.
Few of these models will see a launch pad as most will be for office or den decoration.
Estes/Space X will sell thousands of these models.

it is supposedly a mighty fine scale model. I wonder, can I enter it as-is in the next NAR scale competition?

I'll buy it and fly it.
My old-ish Falcon9 rocket is my usual frequent flyer for Scouts / Cub Scouts launch days.

Kids love it.
Dads love it even more, and always ask where they could get one (it has been discontinued a few years ago).
By all indications, the new one will be better.
It will sell not just to rocket hobbyists, but to all SpaceX fans. The latter is a MUCH bigger audience.

a

Last edited:
Saw this in the Rocketry magazine when it arrived Monday. I like the scale design of the rocket and I completely understand the RTF customer model for Estes but this isn't marketed to first time buyers / builders. At a cost of $150 this feels like it is marketed to collectors of SpaceX even more so than Estes and few of these will ever be flown.

Unfortunately this is another in a long line of releases from Estes that will never be in my collection. At a cost of $150 there are literally hundreds of rockets I would buy first. I also feel like this was a poor effort. The rocket is too small and under powered.

Think of the detail that could have gone into this if it was BT80 or used the PSII 2.5 tubing. This would be a real draw for collectors. It's also under powered but again, this isn't marketed to anyone that will actually fly it. At the very least this should have been 24mm.

Sorry but just like the SLS, Blue Origin and the RTF Saturn V, these are all hard passes.

I hope that Estes sells the heck out of the rocket to Space-X fans. They will look good sitting on someone's desk or wall unit at their work. Or even at home. Maybe, just maybe, some of those purchaser's kids will want to try out rocketry, particularly if they get to see the Space-X rocket actually fly.

I won't be getting one, but as others have said, we aren't the target market. If it helps Estes financially, I'm all for it.

I hope that Estes sells the heck out of the rocket to Space-X fans. They will look good sitting on someone's desk or wall unit at their work. Or even at home. Maybe, just maybe, some of those purchaser's kids will want to try out rocketry, particularly if they get to see the Space-X rocket actually fly.

I won't be getting one, but as others have said, we aren't the target market. If it helps Estes financially, I'm all for it.
Agreed

I personally have no interest in this product. But if it sells well, maybe Estes will lower the price of its engines...or more realistically, delay the next price increase.

Last edited:
in case any of you are wondering how Estes is using all of our fun money, like all the found do-ray-me from the misery box sale, well, rest easy. found this video on their amazon store page. they spared no expense on this one.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/al-na-9d5791cf-3faf/dd995be0-376a-444d-a6d0-3871b84e6502.mp4

oh yikes, that's so bad... A3-4 in an Alpha III?! Or maybe a C11?. love how the editing shows the boy prepping the launch controller, but hands with painted fingernails push thd button. right.

That looks like a really nice model, but at that price I personally don't have any interest. $99 was probably my max for something like this. However I really hope Estes sells a ton of them to SpaceX fans so they can keep putting out other cardboard kits that I am interested in.

cheers - mark

Can you summarize?
The reviewer gave an overview - diameter 1.44”, length with fin unit 26.75”, weight 4.5 oz, removable for flight engine details, display stand, SpaceX style box with fitted foam, Dragon capsule and folded landing legs with nicely molded color details. He, unfortunately, hasn’t been able to launch his model but did recount the launches done at NARAM and confirmed stable flights on an Estes C5-3. The only hitches he relayed were needing to open up the center hole in the engine detail plate for the display stand rod and that the fin unit popped off on landing during some of the NARAM demo launches.

Again, I have little personal interest in this model - or any Falcon 9 model, I just don’t find it visually interesting - but it certainly fits nicely in the reviewer’s picture of his Falcon displayed with an array of 1:100 manned rocket models.

I think Estes is going to sell a bunch of these to their intended market of SpaceX fans, aerospace professionals and casual buyers of “cool stuff” - it’s really not aimed at hobby rocketry enthusiasts who like to build their own rockets.

if i were a rich man... then again, if gramma had kiwis she'd be grampa. great looking kit, great packaging, i'd even hang the ad as a poster. a buck fity is pretty steep and certainly not priced for those of us that would rather spend that kind of money on an old mars lander. da bars.

The reviewer gave an overview - diameter 1.44”, length with fin unit 26.75”, weight 4.5 oz, removable for flight engine details, display stand, SpaceX style box with fitted foam, Dragon capsule and folded landing legs with nicely molded color details. He, unfortunately, hasn’t been able to launch his model but did recount the launches done at NARAM and confirmed stable flights on an Estes C5-3. The only hitches he relayed were needing to open up the center hole in the engine detail plate for the display stand rod and that the fin unit popped off on landing during some of the NARAM demo launches.

Again, I have little personal interest in this model - or any Falcon 9 model, I just don’t find it visually interesting - but it certainly fits nicely in the reviewer’s picture of his Falcon displayed with an array of 1:100 manned rocket models.

I think Estes is going to sell a bunch of these to their intended market of SpaceX fans, aerospace professionals and casual buyers of “cool stuff” - it’s really not aimed at hobby rocketry enthusiasts who like to build their own rockets.
Can you summarize?
+1 to what Scott said. There is also a pic of the model nestled in its' foam cutout in the presentation level box. Beautiful but still not worth the price for me.
Edit: The author (Tom Beach) also mentioned that Estes will release it on Nov.6.

Last edited:
in case any of you are wondering how Estes is using all of our fun money, like all the found do-ray-me from the misery box sale, well, rest easy. found this video on their amazon store page. they spared no expense on this one.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/S/al-na-9d5791cf-3faf/dd995be0-376a-444d-a6d0-3871b84e6502.mp4
You cant' fault them for making a simple video that would appeal to kids to promote their starter sets. Was this made recently or under the previous owners?
Too bad they show the motor loaded backwards.

As to the thread topic, the company I work for supplies SpaceX so I'm going to try and have one of these bought on the company dime for display in our Aerospace department (or my desk).

Back