Archetype Rocketry Presents...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What color of anodization would you prefer

• Clear

• Black

• Red

Results are only viewable after voting.
Update #2
I cut, sized, drilled out, tapped, and chamfered about 100 cable cutters. I still have yet to drill in the cable tie holes, chamfer those, and then polish the cutters before they are done. I expect shipping on the e-match versions to go by Wednesday and the Q2G2 versions to follow very shortly after that. Sorry about the wait - I am getting them done as quick as I can.

No worries I can wait, my wife wont give it to me till Christmas anyway. :)

TA

Hummm? Ya but that would mean more shipping if you split it up. And make more work for you. I can wait. :) But if you wanted to you could.:grin:

TA

Update #3
I just got a ton of Q2G2 screw caps drilled and I packaged all of the Q2G2 two packs. I have another dozen or so packs to wrap up and then get to all of the accessories, but I will do my darnedest to have everyone's order shipped out by tomorrow so you should all have them by the weekend! :D

Update #4
All boxes are packed and awaiting shipping labels. But of course the USPS website is down... :eyeroll:

Last edited:
weather didn't play ball, trying again this weekend...

Has anyone tried the regular cutter with a Q2G2 and used heat shrink tubing around the wires? (to fill up the gaps) Alternately has anyone used playdough to plug the gap? I do that on Ebay's but it might not be as effective given the resistence the cutter has to overcome.

Brad, if you want Id be more than happy to send you some of the new screw caps so you dont have to do anything fancy...

Brad, if you want Id be more than happy to send you some of the new screw caps so you dont have to do anything fancy...

Thank you. Let me know what shipping would cost and I'd be happy to pick that up along with whatever you think is fair for the screws. I fly with both types of ejection initiation devices.

No worries my friend, I will send them out to you tomorrow.

I am anxiously awaiting some reports back on the new Q2G2 screw caps. I use the Q2G2 solely. I placed my order before they were available knowing full well that I would have to figure out a way to use them. But if these new caps work as designed, I'm going to order some.

I am anxiously awaiting some reports back on the new Q2G2 screw caps. I use the Q2G2 solely. I placed my order before they were available knowing full well that I would have to figure out a way to use them. But if these new caps work as designed, I'm going to order some.
Chuck, these screws have a 5/64" hole rather than the 7/64" hole of the ematch kind. The Q2G2 fit nicely but the only problem I can see is them having the possibility of yanking out since they don't have a larger width head like the ematches. They should be much easier to seal now. The orings fit well too.I still like the hot glue idea to hold it in place but to be honest, I prefer the length of my ematches so I have yet to use a Q2G2.

I used hot glue on Q2G2's in the full sized hole, and can't see how a smaller hole would help, honestly. It does require prep beforehand, but oh well.

I used hot glue on Q2G2's in the full sized hole, and can't see how a smaller hole would help, honestly. It does require prep beforehand, but oh well.
I think the smaller hole would benefit those who are trying other ways than the hot glue, such as tape. I think hot glue sounds the most reliable and simplest, but to each their own.

What if I want to fly 3 flights and I have two cutters? What if I have 3 cutters and decide I'd like to get in one more flight? Hot glue makes sense if you know "I am flying these rockets this many times and nothing else." However, especially at multi-day launches where who knows how many flights I might get in? Especially since this cutter makes almost every HPR rocket with a payload bay, a potential dual deploy rocket. :cool: I am sure there are 12v hot glue guns or even rechargeable ones... but... I look forward to getting my Q2G2 caps!
Jeff

I have a 12v inverter that I use at launches that just plugs into your car's lighter port. Hot glue it on the field. Or as someone else had mentioned, if you have extra screws, just do some up ahead of time and swap screws for each flight (after cleaning out the cutter of course!)

Got mine today can't wait to use them. They are smaller than I thought they would be, this is so awesome.

Thank you

Based on all the positive feedback here, I think I am gonna get one, too. Kudos to lkal32 on this product and support. Here is my homemade "cable cutter." It worked OK, but I want something more elegant!

View attachment 106752View attachment 106753

Another word of warning when bundling chutes with the tether. Run the ematch lead directly from altimeter to the cutter with plenty of slack and stopper points to prevent the ematch from getting jerked around during descent. Terminal blocks on the outside of the av-bay are not a good idea. They can get slapped around by the flailing bundle, shock cords, airframe, and nose cone, and pull loose or shear off. I learned that the hard way.

Another word of warning when bundling chutes with the tether. Run the ematch lead directly from altimeter to the cutter with plenty of slack and stopper points to prevent the ematch from getting jerked around during descent. Terminal blocks on the outside of the av-bay are not a good idea. They can get slapped around by the flailing bundle, shock cords, airframe, and nose cone, and pull loose or shear off. I learned that the hard way.
Hey thats a nifty idea! Somewhat McGuyver-esque. Thats thinking outside the box right there...

As for the cord being pulled, I just made this the other day to show someone who was concerned about the ematch being yanked from the altimeter, or other attachment points.

solution.png

It is best to secure the ematch to a point (or multiple points) that take the tension, rather than the altimeter connection itself. Let some slack in each section to account for twisting and moving, but that should help a lot.

Based on all the positive feedback here, I think I am gonna get one, too. Kudos to lkal32 on this product and support. Here is my homemade "cable cutter." It worked OK, but I want something more elegant!

Pretty sure that thing doesn't need to be filled with BP! I bet the match head would have worked...

I have a 12v inverter that I use at launches that just plugs into your car's lighter port. Hot glue it on the field. Or as someone else had mentioned, if you have extra screws, just do some up ahead of time and swap screws for each flight (after cleaning out the cutter of course!)
Received mine today as well. Looks great. How about just using a birthday cake candle to seal the end of the screw head?

I'm gonna fly mine for the first time today (with a stainless steel replacement piston I whipped up in an hour this afternoon since I lost the first one in a pile of sharp scrap aluminum...) in a minimum diameter 38mm rocket.

It was worse than a needle in a haystack... it was like a piece of hay in a stack of needles because it was all so sharp.

That someone was me:) I'll be ordering a set of cutters for my Ultra Fatboy. Keep up the good work!

Hey thats a nifty idea! Somewhat McGuyver-esque. Thats thinking outside the box right there...

As for the cord being pulled, I just made this the other day to show someone who was concerned about the ematch being yanked from the altimeter, or other attachment points.

View attachment 106754

It is best to secure the ematch to a point (or multiple points) that take the tension, rather than the altimeter connection itself. Let some slack in each section to account for twisting and moving, but that should help a lot.

Hoping my G2Q2 caps come soon. Couldn't make the ROC launch today do to a bum knee ligament. OOOOOWWWCH!!
:(

In my first successful use of the cable cutter, I wrapped the ematch wire around the ty wrap. That kept it from getting jerked out of the cutter. Then I wrapped it once around the payload bay eyebolt. That kept it from getting pulled out of the terminals.

You want to make sure as the shock cord extends at apogee, nothing is going to pull on the ematch.

I flew my cable cutter today at the ROC launch. It worked perfectly. The wire was blue taped to the shock cord, and was routed through a bunch of holes in the av bay in order to reduce the tug it applied on the intermediate terminal blocks; there were altogether 3 electrical connections between the Q2G2 and the Raven and they all worked fine.

It was kinda hard to push the piston back out, and my professor's one was much more stubborn than mine (he used the stock piston rather than my slightly larger diameter stainless steel replacement), so some sort of tool for poking it back out, like a tiny jeweler's screwdriver, would be useful to have.

Back