Archetype Rocketry Presents...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What color of anodization would you prefer

• Clear

• Black

• Red

Results are only viewable after voting.

lkal32

Reaction score
I would like to announce a new product coming to the Archetype Rocketry line, a new brand of products I feel show innovation and uniqueness that can help take your rocketry project to the next level. I wont be stocking any kits or typical building supplies, but rather some items which I think showcase some creative thinking. I cant promise any schedule on new products right now, but I will promise creativity, reliability, and great customer service! I handmake each and every one of my products, so they may not be the most perfect in finish but I will guarantee every product works to the highest of standards.

My first product is a spin on the typical tether. Similar to the chute tamer, but with much greater flexibility in a drastically smaller package, the Archetype Rocketry Cable Cutter provides dual deployment capabilities with a single chute/tube through the use of many different techniques - most typically through a bundled main parachute.

What is unique about the Cable Cutter is its size and safety concerns. The unit will fit into SMALL rockets (say ~24mm, maybe smaller for the creative) and its safety features are to ensure that even in the case of accidental BP ignition, no objects can fire toward you.

You can read all about the details, see a video of the product setup, and view the instructions in a greater depth at my website here: Archetype Rocketry.

I am working on pairing up with a machinist to CNC these for me, but for now, I have about 50 in stock, so if you want one sooner rather than later, order now!

CLICK HERE TO ORDER

cablecutter.jpg

IMPORTANT NOTICE

Thanks to a beta tester's work, it has been brought to my attention that there is a problem where black powder can leak out of the unit when small sized ematches are used. I have come up with a solution as shown below:

[youtube]-LLZR9n0VPk[/youtube]

Please be sure you implement this into your assembly and as always, ground test before you fly!

All kits purchased from this point on will include a few extra items, namely an extra supply of small o-rings so that this important assembly step can be followed. To everyone who has ordered there Cable Cutters, I will send you the extra parts free of charge.

---------------------

I have also taken a video of the cutter in action during a test. You can see that below.

[youtube]Dux4M77ZoxQ[/youtube]

Im developing a system with that same concept. Ive got a Jr. L1 so I cant use BP for deployment charges. Could you use a propellant sliver instead of BP?

Alex

Not quite sure really. I will have to test that. I dont see it being a practical use for most people, but I will let you know what I find.

Propellant burn hotter in general and burns longer - I think. It might damage the cannister. Then again, I have never tried it.

Will the cutter work with pyrodex? Might allow Alex to use it, not 100% sure on pyrodex being allowed for him to use as a Jr L1 tho...

Will the cutter work with pyrodex? Might allow Alex to use it, not 100% sure on pyrodex being allowed for him to use as a Jr L1 tho...
I cant say for 100% sure, but I would think so. Containment is good (especially with the extra o-rings sealing the screw cap in the video above). I will see if I can acquire any and do some tests to find out.

Pantherjon said:

No pyro on a jr L1

Im developing a system with that same concept. Ive got a Jr. L1 so I cant use BP for deployment charges. Could you use a propellant sliver instead of BP?
The Cable Cutter worked just fine using propellant instead of BP, but you (and everyone else) must understand I DO NOT recommend this option. I conducted the test to show the Cable Cutter's capabilities but due to the various types of propellants, difficulty in acquiring repeatable amounts of propellant, and potential ignition failure, this procedure is not preferred or supported.

[YOUTUBE]w8KDjivBw3M[/YOUTUBE]

In a few days, we will be celebrating July 4. While most Americans have the day off and will be grilling, entertaining, and watching the night sky light up in brilliant fireworks, we must realize there are some Americans who will be having a totally different experience. I don't typically celebrate this holiday any different than my neighbors, but I want to do something important this year. At the end of day on July 4, I am going to be sending a care package overseas to a member of our US Military. I would like your help in this effort.

Starting today, and for the next 5 days, until the end of July 4, for every person who purchases a Cable Cutter, 100% OF THE PROFITS will be used to purchase goods to be included in the shipment. You can be assured that you will be giving to a good cause, hopefully bringing some joy to someone who is fighting for our freedom.

If you want, with your purchase, you can include any instructions as to what you want purchased or sent. You are welcomed and encouraged to include any letters or notes to our servicemen and women as well. I have not yet identified where the package will be sent (since I don't know how large it will be yet) but it will be chosen from a list on AnySoldier.com. I will post updates as to what has been sent and to whom when it happens.

I thank you for your support. Let us show we are thankful for our freedom this holiday. Celebrate July 4 by thanking those that give meaning to what July 4 really is.

How did you get around the patent?

All the best, James

What are the consumables?? Do you need new o-rings for every flight? Etc. ties and BP for sure.
Obviously, the ematch, black powder, and cable tie are single use. Typically the o-rings are reusable. The only reason you may need a replacement is of course losing them or having them degrade from burns after a few uses. The piston can be reused, however, I have had one deform from using too much BP, so depending on use, that is a possibility, but probably not one that happens often.

How did you get around the patent?

All the best, James

Sorry about the cryptic comment, I was on my phone...

anyway, the owner of Airtec Cypres represented to me personally that they owned the patent on pyrotecnic cable/line cutters, and specifically on such cutters used to deploy a parachute by cutting a closure line.

All the best, James

I am not sure how a patent works. As long as there is a differance in designs I can't see how they hold the patent. Who has the patent on car tires? They all do the same thing. they roll a auto down the road. They round made of rubber. Unless its a copy I don't see how they would have cahnce in a court of law.
gp

Sorry about the cryptic comment, I was on my phone...

anyway, the owner of Airtec Cypres represented to me personally that they owned the patent on pyrotecnic cable/line cutters, and specifically on such cutters used to deploy a parachute by cutting a closure line.

All the best, James
A quick Google Patent Search of Airtec Cypres did not bring any close results to the Cable Cutter product. Do you have a more direct link I can view.

A quick Google Patent Search of Airtec Cypres did not bring any close results to the Cable Cutter product. Do you have a more direct link I can view.

I did a patent search. None found. Can you provide a copy of the patent?

I would guess they don't have a patent because other manufactors may make items close to their design. I wouldn't be to worried about it unless millions are sold.
gp

I don't mean to disregard anyone's patent, but my cutter is different than theirs. The sizes, intended propellants, cables, initiating device (aka our e-matches), piston design, sealing methods, etc. are all different than the Airtex Cyprus model. Theirs is very professional, and I do not doubt its performance. My 'hobby' model may not be up to those standards, but for 1/7 the price, I am not intending it to be.

I don't mean to disregard anyone's patent, but my cutter is different than theirs. The sizes, intended propellants, cables, initiating device (aka our e-matches), piston design, sealing methods, etc. are all different than the Airtex Cyprus model. Theirs is very professional, and I do not doubt its performance. My 'hobby' model may not be up to those standards, but for 1/7 the price, I am not intending it to be.

I actually agree. Clearly they are used on differing items with a smaller purpose also.

Hmm. Well, I wasn't trying to be antagonistic...just the similarities with the Cypres AAD jumped out at me, and I'd been told that it was patented. I do know that other brands of AAD's are manufactured under license.

A quick search produced the original US patent by Airtec.

It states:

A releasing device for a parachute which is ready for use and folded and disposed in a receptacle and held together by securing string ..... The release device includes a breaking device for disconnecting the securing string and a control for actuating the breaking device at predetermined conditions. The control actuates the breaking device by an electric control signal derived after an initialization operation and depending on a barametric pressure which is present ....
I know nothing about patents, so I don't know the applicability. <shrugs> The patent describes a barometric controlled electronic pyrotechnic cutter that cuts a restraining line that deploys a parachute.

Personally, I applaud the cable cutter by Archetype - it has lots of applications and I want one!

All the best, James

The AAD patent is here on the USPTO website.

The AAD specifically states " The control actuates the breaking device by an electric control signal derived after an initialization operation and depending on a barametric pressure which is present and further depending on the presence of a given pressure change rate."

Lukas isn't offering a control of any sort - just a cutter for cable ties. In addition, our electronics aren't typically dependent upon a descent rate, but rather just having reached a specific altitude.

At the same time, I'm not a lawyer, I don't play one on TV, and I didn't sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night, so from a legal standpoint, my word isn't worth the time it took me to type this post.

-Kevin

Just a note:

I ordered one of these, along with a couple extras. There was a minor mishap in shipping and I got in touch with Lukas to let him know. He immediately "did the right thing", refunded my shipping cost, sent out a new shipment quickly, and even added a couple of extras. He did this without me asking for it - he just did so because he felt it was the right thing to do. Looks like we've got another "TRF good seller" in our midst.

Haven't had the chance to use it yet, but it looks well made and well thought out. Nicely packaged, and good customer service to boot.

thanks Lukas, s6

Just a note:

I ordered one of these, along with a couple extras. There was a minor mishap in shipping and I got in touch with Lukas to let him know. He immediately "did the right thing", refunded my shipping cost, sent out a new shipment quickly, and even added a couple of extras. He did this without me asking for it - he just did so because he felt it was the right thing to do. Looks like we've got another "TRF good seller" in our midst.

Haven't had the chance to use it yet, but it looks well made and well thought out. Nicely packaged, and good customer service to boot.

thanks Lukas, s6
Thank you David, I sincerely appreciate the kind comment.

Mine came in last week. I will be trying it out at LDRS on my Wildman Drago, with an altimeter in the nosecone. Stay tuned...

Just because it has the same purpose does not mean its the same product. I was told if you change a product by 30% then its a different product and you do not have to worry about patents. This is really a good and cheap way to do DD, will buy it when I start messing with DD

The Cable Cutter worked just fine using propellant instead of BP, but you (and everyone else) must understand I DO NOT recommend this option. I conducted the test to show the Cable Cutter's capabilities but due to the various types of propellants, difficulty in acquiring repeatable amounts of propellant, and potential ignition failure, this procedure is not preferred or supported.

[YOUTUBE]w8KDjivBw3M[/YOUTUBE]
Thanks for the testing. Once I turn 18 and can buy BP, I'm buying one of these. Seems like a great value.
I'm going to keep experimenting, using my own device designed for propellant. I dont think i'll use a piston, instead i'll try to use the propellant to burn through the cord. I might not use AP though, I'll start investigating with other combustibles.

Alex

I'll be ordering a couple of these. I have a rocket that could greatly benefit from one of these.

As for the cypress, I seriously doubt this cable cutter could be considered a copy or infringement on an AAD patent for sports parachutes. The cypress not only operates on a predetermined altitude, but decent speed as well. If you were to try and take one of these and, say a Raven, and try to use it as an AAD then you would end up deploying your reserve straight into your main fouling your parachute since it wouldn't measure decent speed as well. That is just my thoughts on it.

Back