AeroTech Open Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought a bunch of 38mm slow jack from BMS and they still have some left.

I scored their last L1365M though.
Nice! I have a L1365 that I picked up this winter that was new stock that I am looking to fly next month. Been looking forward to trying that one. I hope I dont like it too much now that I cant get another... but I love most of the Metal Storm motors, more so that the DM, so I am pretty sure it's going to be a good one.

I'd love to see some new ST motors in 38/54/75. Like the comments above, I too think an ST in the 75/3840-6400 case would be more appealing. I just dont have any rockets with a 75mm mount that could fly on a single grain 75 besides my 7.5" T-Loc and Id be hard pressed to buy a case just for that one motor as that rocket would probably be shred-city on the only other option (K1499) which was also just discontinued.

Buy a bigger case and the RAS. If you have the length for the longer case, then thats a win. Nice part about a long case on a shorter rocket with the RAS, it actually helps you by pushing more mass forwards and helps to unbias the CG a bit.

I have the 7680 case, the 5120 case and am going to buy the 2560 case so that I can run the 1G and 2G loads. The little bit of added weight shouldn't affect any rocket that flies on the motors for those cases.

Having worked in retail for years in a previous career, completely understand what Aerotech is doing.

Every vendor has sku's that dont turn well. that doesnt mean that there arent customers that like them, or that have built their portion of the hobby around them.

For large manufactures to remain in business and profitable they must remain agile and savvy. the K458 is an OG 98mm load. Possibly one of the first 98mm loads along with the L952, M1419, and M1939. back when most all 98mm rockets were cardboard it worked well. not so much anymore with fiberglass.

Agree that the black motors are cool, but you need to ask yourself how many you really see at a given launch. Cant remember ever seeing a fast black or original black jack I or J at a NOVAAR launch, and we get maybe one every four launch days at Battlepark.

Sure its disappointing, however if we want Aerotech or any vendor to keep coming out with new motors (I know I have a few more that I would like to see), they need room to do so.

-Sean
For the record, I am not complaining, just venting. I loved that motor, but I get it. Aerotech needs to make decisions that keep them in business and I am surprised their selection is so vast. This cut is not a surprise but I can still be sad.

One thought for them. A lot of the bigger HPR motors are likely flown by people that save them for big launches. I do not think it would be an issue if they did pre-orders for a yearly or twice-yearly production run. I.e. they announce they do production every April 15 or whatever date, and orders need to be in a few months earlier, say January 15 etc. This style/cadence would be fine for me and I suspect a lot of other fliers. It is not ideal, but maybe a good compromise.

One final thought. A higher thrust white lightning version of the 98 mm K and L motors would probably be better anyway. I actually prefer a K800 even for the Pyramid so maybe they will just replace those motors with upgrades.

Pyramid on a 1 or 2G fast white would be pretty epic. Almost like the L1256WS (<-BADASS MOTOR!!!!) but shorter and in a 98mm case. That would rock.....

Buy a bigger case and the RAS. If you have the length for the longer case, then thats a win. Nice part about a long case on a shorter rocket with the RAS, it actually helps you by pushing more mass forwards and helps to unbias the CG a bit.

I have the 7680 case, the 5120 case and am going to buy the 2560 case so that I can run the 1G and 2G loads. The little bit of added weight shouldn't affect any rocket that flies on the motors for those cases.
I have the 6400 case with RAS that I sometimes adapt down to 3840 or 5120. That said, to buy another 3840 or 2560 case to adapt down to 1280 would be the same as just buying the 1280 as I don't really have much of a use for the 1280/2560 loads in 75mm (only one rocket with a 75mm that could fly on those - everything else is just too large). Now loads in 75/3840 and up and an ST load for the 38/720 or 54/852-1280-1706 case... I would burn a ton of those.

Nice! I have a L1365 that I picked up this winter that was new stock that I am looking to fly next month. Been looking forward to trying that one. I hope I dont like it too much now that I cant get another... but I love most of the Metal Storm motors, more so that the DM, so I am pretty sure it's going to be a good one.
Same, I'm a big fan of Metalstorm over Dark Matter as well and am sad i probably won't ever get to fly the M1305M. At least we still have the G75M, H170M, J340M, and the K540M. Still lots of Metalstorm, just no more giant ones.

Pyramid on a 1 or 2G fast white would be pretty epic. Almost like the L1256WS (<-BADASS MOTOR!!!!) but shorter and in a 98mm case. That would rock.....
They're getting rid of slow moving motors and you're asking for a different one? Use regular white for a oddroc.

In the age of fiberglass rockets, one grain motors need to be faster propellant to be useful (and to sell). Super thunder, super white, and propellant x are good choices. These size motors work best as a low waiver/low cloud cover motor.

And you likely won’t see these propellants in larger than a 4 grain configuration. Simply too hard to tame.

I am sad on the fast burning 38mm loads I was not able to try.

I feel the most pain over losing larger L motors in 75mm and 98mm. I just started to grow into flying my big rocket on these motors.

I was able to scury around and find a L1365M and bit the bullet on getting a L1500T and 98mm hardware set. I do plan to fly the L2500 and the L2200 will have to do for my full L needs.

So with these loads not being shelf stock items are the parts going to be available from RCS for a while? A question more for the HPR powers that be, if we buy the parts to assemble the former shelf stock motor could this be simply flown as the motor was designated, or does this put the motor into EX category? Asking for a friend.

~John

Same, I'm a big fan of Metalstorm over Dark Matter as well and am sad i probably won't ever get to fly the M1305M. At least we still have the G75M, H170M, J340M, and the K540M. Still lots of Metalstorm, just no more giant ones.
Yep. Love the J340M and K540m. I just a got a case to fly the M1305M.... trying to locate a motor as we speak before they are all gone!

In the age of fiberglass rockets, one grain motors need to be faster propellant to be useful (and to sell). Super thunder, super white, and propellant x are good choices. These size motors work best as a low waiver/low cloud cover motor.
Use 2 grain 75 mm instead of 1 grain 98. Use 3 grain 54 mm instead of 1 grain 75. Adapters are your friend.

Use 2 grain 75 mm instead of 1 grain 98. Use 3 grain 54 mm instead of 1 grain 75. Adapters are your friend.
I agree generally, but not every rocket lends itself to adapters. I could care less really, but if people buy them that's great. I've seen more K1999's than any other 98mm 1 or 2 grain loads.

I’d like to know what will be the process for communicating with Aerotech that there is demand for a certain sku. I don’t think telling our individual vendors will be effective.

I also got my warranty motors today. THANK YOU AEROTECH for standing behind your products. Also, a BIG THANK YOU TO Karl for getting it thru.

Kids and I will burn a bunch of Q-Jets this fall. The newer nozzles look great. The packaging changes should help keep integrity of the clay.

Comments on the discontinued motors.
I fly mainly LPR & MPR so the smaller 18, 24 and 29mm motors are of interest.

E11J-3 would have been a good replacement for Estes E12 IF there were longer delays available. 3sec delay is not that useful and the only reason I never bought any E11's.
F12J-3 also has a short delay so not very useful but the F12J -5sec delay continues to be available. A longer delay in both the E11 & F12 may have sold better, Estes E12 & F15 has 4, 6 & 8 sec delays.

When the Estes E12 or F15 does not CATO (seen a lot of them do this) they give an impressive flight with the long burn times. AT E11 & F12 could have done the same. Also, no HazMat on the E11 & F12.

Took the day off work today as I had two doctors appointments within a few hours of each other. The plus side is that I didn't go to work. Another plus side is that it was a beautiful day here in northern Illinois. And another plus is that I live just over an hour from Wildman's and as such, I pickup my orders in person because, I am cheap and would rather drive then pay for shipping.

Given the post earlier this week about AT "discontinuing" some slow moving motors, and some of those are my fav's (Warp9). I went on Tim's website and bought some of the motors I really enjoy and another that I have not flown, but one that is for a case that I am building a rocket SPECIFICALLY for; 75/1280 (K1499N). And the L special X load for Airfest.

So today, between Dr. appointments, I drove out to bug Tim in person and pickup my "discontinued" motor order.

I got something special though that I was not expecting, and ended up forking out some extra cash for an unexpected and long awaited purchase while I was at the shop.....(last picture).

And here, is where I won, and my wallet lost.....

Thank you to Jackie for stepping in and quietly walking out to storage and bringing the last load into the shop and putting it in my hand when I said to Tim "So WHEN are the dealers going to get the K750ST?!?! I WANT THAT RELOAD!!!"

Thank you to AT for listening to your customers and spinning up a Super Thunder load for the 75mm single grain case, and in such a short period of time. Really looking forward to this one. Not sure if I am going to fly this at Bong or at Airfest......

BTW, I bought the last one. They sold them all in one day. I think its safe to say the community was excited to try out this new load. :)

20220729_220630[1].jpg

20220729_220732[1].jpg

20220729_220356[1].jpg

Took the day off work today as I had two doctors appointments within a few hours of each other. The plus side is that I didn't go to work. Another plus side is that it was a beautiful day here in northern Illinois. And another plus is that I live just over an hour from Wildman's and as such, I pickup my orders in person because, I am cheap and would rather drive then pay for shipping.

Given the post earlier this week about AT "discontinuing" some slow moving motors, and some of those are my fav's (Warp9). I went on Tim's website and bought some of the motors I really enjoy and another that I have not flown, but one that is for a case that I am building a rocket SPECIFICALLY for; 75/1280 (K1499N). And the L special X load for Airfest.

So today, between Dr. appointments, I drove out to bug Tim in person and pickup my "discontinued" motor order.

I got something special though that I was not expecting, and ended up forking out some extra cash for an unexpected and long awaited purchase while I was at the shop.....(last picture).

Thank you to Jackie for stepping in and quietly walking out to storage and bringing the last load into the shop and putting it in my hand when I said to Tim "So WHEN are the dealers going to get the K750ST?!?! I WANT THAT RELOAD!!!"

Thank you to AT for listening to your customers and spinning up a Super Thunder load for the 75mm single grain case, and in such a short period of time. Really looking forward to this one. Not sure if I am going to fly this at Bong or at Airfest......

BTW, I bought the last one. They sold them all in one day. I think its safe to say the community was excited to try out this new load. :)

View attachment 530118

View attachment 530119

View attachment 530120
Out with the old, in with the new. Hopefully one day we’ll see the old become new again.

I've got a couple of the L1940X. One is prepped for the 6" Black Brant II for Freedom Launch Labor Day weekend.

View attachment 530118

View attachment 530119

View attachment 530120

Nice! I have an L1940X that I am looking forward to flying this fall.

Yea, saw that yesterday and I had the K750 in my WM cart and when I went back to officially “pull the trigger” (maybe an hour or two later) they were sold out.

Very happy to hear they sold well. Believe this will continue.

Checking other vendors and none have them yet

Last edited:
L1940X is a heck of a motor. Here's one flying in my Extreme Wildman to almost 12k.

View attachment 530164

John Williams and Dave Deavours @ChicagoDave drag raced their 5" Wildman Goblins on L1940X's at the QCRC April club launch and it was an AMAZING show. I literally bought that load because of those flights. Your picture further solidifies my decision! Will be flying my Wildman Demon 5 on it at Airfest if all works out.

Last edited:
I bought a J575FJ via BMS pre-order in April, and received in July a J575 load with a date code in 2015. Per the insert, anything over 5 years old is not covered by warranty, but presumably this came directly from Aerotech (I guess I should ask BMS about that directly, though). That doesn't seem right (though it would explain why that load is being discontinued). Is there any more light to shed on this, @AeroTech?

What is the meaning of the "/L" in some designations? In the ThrustCurve.org DB I have several motors with this style:
  • F20W/L
  • F42T/L
  • G78G/L
  • F23FJ/L
  • G79W/L
  • G77R/L
  • F27R/L
Is that correct or is that an artifact of scraping at one time or another?

What is the meaning of the "/L" in some designations? In the ThrustCurve.org DB I have several motors with this style:
  • F20W/L
  • F42T/L
  • G78G/L
  • F23FJ/L
  • G79W/L
  • G77R/L
  • F27R/L
Is that correct or is that an artifact of scraping at one time or another?
Weren't they "loadable" or something like that? Some construction for the single-use motors?

Last edited:
Back