RIP IQSY Tomahawk

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bruiser

Reaction score
The first rocket I built as a BAR was a IQSY Tomahawk that I bashed using parts from a Star Orbiter kit purchased at Hobby Lobbu when they carried cool 29mm rockets :(

The build thread is here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/iqsy-tomahawk-sport-scale-bash.146392/#post-1851506

Today I entered it in an altitude contest. I purchased a Jolly Logic Altimeter One. This was it's second flight. I had planned to launch it with a Aerotech G53-7 to get close to the goal of 2022 feet. But then this morning I saw I had an Estes F50-6 motor and I decided to go with that even though I had not simmed it. The G53 simmed to 2300 feet so I thought the F50 would be closer.

It was fast off the rod and it zoomed to apogee. The altitude looked good and I saw the deployment. The chute never fully opened and it came down a bit fast. One of the fins did break even with it being ttw. But more importantly it seems the baffle was not enough and the elastic shock cord got mostly burnt thru. There was one elastic thread holding it together and there was only two lines left attached to the chute.

But more importantly the altimeter was gone. They no longer come with the attachment clip so I had tied a loop out of some kevlar string I had and I attached it to the nose cone. Well somehow the knot came un-tied. I just don't understand how. I had pulled on it when I tied it and it didn't budge. I use this same knot on my recovery harnesses but I do put a drop of glue on the knot and i put a piece of heat shrink over it. I didn't go to that extreme because only a .35 ounce altimeter was dangling from it...

This rocket is going in the trash now. The baffle is too close to the top of the rocket not leaving much room for the parachute. There's no room left for wadding. The fin could be fixed but I'd keep having trouble with burning up recovery gear. Besides, I have moved on to bigger rockets since then.

Anyway, I hope someone learns from my mistake in not securing the knot with glue or something.

Oh and I should also say RIP Altimeter One. It's out there in the desert somewhere. We couldn't find it. Once I save up for another I think I am going to paint it orange. I'm thinking about painting my JLCR orange too just in case since it's also secured by a loop.

The first rocket I built as a BAR was a IQSY Tomahawk that I bashed using parts from a Star Orbiter kit purchased at Hobby Lobbu when they carried cool 29mm rockets :(

The build thread is here: https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/iqsy-tomahawk-sport-scale-bash.146392/#post-1851506

Today I entered it in an altitude contest. I purchased a Jolly Logic Altimeter One. This was it's second flight. I had planned to launch it with a Aerotech G53-7 to get close to the goal of 2022 feet. But then this morning I saw I had an Estes F50-6 motor and I decided to go with that even though I had not simmed it. The G53 simmed to 2300 feet so I thought the F50 would be closer.

It was fast off the rod and it zoomed to apogee. The altitude looked good and I saw the deployment. The chute never fully opened and it came down a bit fast. One of the fins did break even with it being ttw. But more importantly it seems the baffle was not enough and the elastic shock cord got mostly burnt thru. There was one elastic thread holding it together and there was only two lines left attached to the chute.

But more importantly the altimeter was gone. They no longer come with the attachment clip so I had tied a loop out of some kevlar string I had and I attached it to the nose cone. Well somehow the knot came un-tied. I just don't understand how. I had pulled on it when I tied it and it didn't budge. I use this same knot on my recovery harnesses but I do put a drop of glue on the knot and i put a piece of heat shrink over it. I didn't go to that extreme because only a .35 ounce altimeter was dangling from it...

This rocket is going in the trash now. The baffle is too close to the top of the rocket not leaving much room for the parachute. There's no room left for wadding. The fin could be fixed but I'd keep having trouble with burning up recovery gear. Besides, I have moved on to bigger rockets since then.

Anyway, I hope someone learns from my mistake in not securing the knot with glue or something.

Oh and I should also say RIP Altimeter One. It's out there in the desert somewhere. We couldn't find it. Once I save up for another I think I am going to paint it orange. I'm thinking about painting my JLCR orange too just in case since it's also secured by a loop.
I put a section of orange surveyors tape attached to my JL projects just incase, finding a 2" long altimeter is much easier with it if it becomes detached.

Yes, it is sad but does happen.
My LOC IQSY Tomahawk has been hanging in a tree for a year and a half now. Do visit it once in a while to see if it decided to come down.

On another rocket I had a GPS tied to the cord but failed to tape the enclosed shut. The GPS & battery fell out and separated. They are out in the corn field some where.....

I do feel your loss.

Back