ThunderStruck 2012 Registration Open (Indiana)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I'm going to be a little tired today, Gus Piepenburgs house is the creepiest place ive ever slept........

Ahem....let "Creepy Uncle Gus" who just saved Man-Well's A:):) last night and, by driving Mach 75 down the highway all the way fresh from a LONG night at work.....explain.

I live in a very rural area on top of little hill amongst my thriving tree farm.....when i leave my home every night to go to work my neighbors hear and feel that un-muffled Dodge diesel pickup of mine as i step out onto the state hwy.

They are very familiar with what time i depart and arrive everyday.

NOW....throw in a visitor to my house....after dark....who refused to hide his vehicle "over by the shop building" and, you have neighbors seeing "things" that are not normally seen around here.

You see where this is going?

So Manny hears a strange noise outside in the dark and goes outside to investigate.....house fully alight.....late at night....strange vehicle....still not moved into hiding.....

I get a phone call from neighbor west......(The firearm friendly one)....Something is going on at your house...

Neighbor east......no call yet....

Neighbor east is a "1%'er" (The Scooter friendly one)and, doesn't call the cops....

All is taken care of real quickly with a couple of calls......

Yes Manny, when you come to visit me....at night....you ARE ALWAYS BEING WATCHED.....by someone or something....

Long gone in many ways are the days when neighbors covered for each other....NOT here.:no:

Wow, busy day today! I'm gonna post a few pics and then crash out to sleep so we can open the range again tomorrow at 9.

Jason Griffin's Ultimate Darkstar started off the launch with an Albino Assault N:
IMG_4584.jpg

followed shortly by Frontpage Swindler's rocket on an Albino Assault K:
IMG_4598.jpg

The Cayembergs got things rolling with a Sconnie Red flight:
IMG_4604.jpg

One of Sather's many flights for today:
IMG_4606.jpg

Dennis Watkins with his all-fiberglass Beyond Thunderstruck flying on a Wimpy Red O:
IMG_4615.jpg

IMG_4628.jpg

IMG_4629.jpg

Paul Wolak's Ultimate Endeavour on a K700, airstarting 3 I284s:
IMG_4654.jpg

A nice Skidmark from the E rack:
IMG_4673.jpg

Helicopter recovery flight from the A rack:
IMG_4680.jpg

Tim Dixon's "Color The Sun" on an I357:
IMG_4683.jpg

Eric Cayemberg's PML "Stairway to Heaven":
IMG_4685.jpg

Tom Cayemberg's Swamp Gas flight:
IMG_4686.jpg

Darin Raymond's EX sparky K:
IMG_4700.jpg

Jason Griffin shows off the 3 grain 76mm CTI Skid in his 4" Darkstar:
IMG_4713.jpg

Grimracer's awesome 4x E9 Big Daddy flight:
IMG_4725.jpg

Nice pics, I wish I could have been there but somw things are just out of your control. I will be riding out with Gus around Noon, unless my truck is fixed before then. No matter what, my rocket WILL fly, and I WILL win the mach madness contest!

Manny

Dennis Watkins with his all-fiberglass Beyond Thunderstruck flying on a Wimpy Red O:

Would someone please explain to me how in the world a motor that falls in the O classification is wimpy? I see absolutely nothing wimpy in that picture...lol.

Cool pics. Had a good yesterday. I had a chute fail on the Quadaddy. It broke a fin but will live to fly again.

We hope to hit it hard today.

Grimracer

DAllen said:
Would someone please explain to me how in the world a motor that falls in the O classification is wimpy? I see absolutely nothing wimpy in that picture...lol.

"Wimpy Red" is the name of Tony's famous red propellant formula, which Dennis flew in this rocket. A few years ago, guys flew a Wimpy Q made out of this stuff.

A little overcast this am, but no wind! We're about to open the waiver. Should be another great day of flying.

After all that bs on the forum, guess who lost the big mach madness contest........

After all that bs on the forum, guess who lost the big mach madness contest........

I can only assume you - being the responsible youngster that you are, I'm sure you did not fly beyond your level of certification. And I'm sure none of the folks down at that big event would allow you to, correct?

Wow, great day of flying today. I took 400+ pictures, here's a few.

Kristofer Phleger-Schumacher's L2 cert (got it):
IMG_4728.jpg

Bill Good tried to fly an H220SS:
IMG_4735.jpg

Bill Kincaid attempting his L2 cert; broken shock cord nixed it:
IMG_4744.jpg

The Cayembergs get things started with an IQSY:
IMG_4745.jpg

The awesome Hydra upscale:
IMG_4749.jpg

Eric's entrant into the drag race; it totally would have won had it lit:
IMG_4767.jpg

Megan Perry's L2 cert - X-Celerator on a J340MS (got it):
IMG_4781.jpg

Half-scale Nike on a CTI M3400WT:
IMG_4794.jpg

Wildman KY Low 'n Slow Skidmark Dragrace:
IMG_4822.jpg

Steve Pauling's Wildman Jr:
IMG_4863.jpg

Jenny Gross going for L3 with an M2250CS (got it):
IMG_4836.jpg

IMG_4868.jpg

U of Louisville USLI rocket:
IMG_4770.jpg

IMG_4879.jpg

Manny's Carbon Nightmare:
IMG_4908.jpg

Sather giving some sort of blessing to his Jayhawk:
IMG_4906.jpg

on a CTI M4770 V-Max:
IMG_4912.jpg

Frontpage and his 12.5k motor in Molly:
IMG_4948.jpg

IMG_4971.jpg

Last edited:
Great pics David. Great launch too. You guys did a great job with the launch this year, looking forward to another day of good flying tomorrow.

Last edited:
Kittell and his groupies:
IMG_4733.jpg

Kittell impressing his groupies with a CTI M3700WT in his Extreme Darkstar:
IMG_4955.jpg

Richard Cash going for his L3 with an M4770 in his "Flight Like A Girl":
IMG_5006.jpg

Pat & Tex's O.M.G. on a blue O motor:
IMG_5022.jpg

Hot Tub:
IMG_5033.jpg

flying his Gizmo on a CTI 3 grain V-Max demo and airstarting some J520SKs, a crowd pleaser:
IMG_5036.jpg

Brad Wilson (Rocket Rev) flying his Mini Magg:
IMG_5034.jpg

Tim Dixon's Axe To Grind:
IMG_5057.jpg

The Lubins' Space Cowboy on a K1200:
IMG_5063.jpg

Alex Rothchild's L2 on a 6gxl Pro38 green J394 (got it):
IMG_5073.jpg

Eric Cayemberg's Carbon Slipper on a CTI M3100WT (holy $#!t this went fast)
IMG_5075.jpg

A gorgeous Sidewinder (for a L2 cert, I think?):
IMG_5084.jpg

Sather's Reinstate Pluto on an M1315:
IMG_5093.jpg

Closed out the day with Jim Scarpine's Explorer Aquarius on 2 J520SKs and a central L820SK:
IMG_5106.jpg

Tomorrow looks like another excellent day for flying. Bring 'em on up, range opens at 9 AM. And don't forget, at the end of the launch, we're awarding the Mach Madness trophy.

IMG_0340.jpg

:D

Good thing I undrpreformed, because I'm not so sure I want that trophy now.....

Good thing I undrpreformed, because I'm not so sure I want that trophy now.....

Now it's time for THE MEN to step up! (taking nothing away from Brian Smith's superb flight BTW)

Last day, wind, rain, snow--come what may!!!

May be a mad scramble right up to 6pm the way it's looking now...

Last edited:
Dave:
Awesome! pics..... Looks like one hell of a launch, So wish I could have made it.

ps Megan Perry's L2 cert was on an X-Celerator ;)

WOW!! Another GREAT year at ThunderStruck!! My thanks and deep appreciation go out to the whole team at Indian Rocketry! Your hard work and dedication really show's!!

Last edited:
So I noticed that all of my photos of the Mach Madness competitors are blurry. I'm not sure that's a coincidence ;)

Team Cayemberg starting things off with a 76mm Sconnie Sparky:
IMG_5136.jpg

Jason Griffin flew his 6" Darkstar again on a 76-7600 M motor:
IMG_5159.jpg

Evil Ed (Hartle)'s L1 cert flight, with a Goblin on a Loki H100SF:
IMG_5184.jpg

Speaking of Loki, Chuck "Frontpage" Swindler flew a demo 76mm N load in Molly, which started well:
IMG_5189.jpg

but had some issues:
IMG_5191.jpg

Jason Griffin burned the paint off the fins of his Space Cowboy on a fabulous CTI K1440WT (my favorite 54, I think):
IMG_5211.jpg

IMG_5285.jpg

Brian Smith's rocket on an EX TT motor:
IMG_5215.jpg

Tim Fiedler's L3 cert flight with a 4" Intimidator on a CTI M2080SK (eff yes):
IMG_5219.jpg

IMG_5229.jpg

David Fox's 4" Extreme Darkstar TORQUE on a CTI M1300DT:
IMG_5245.jpg

Judith and Eric having a moment:
IMG_5240.jpg

Justin's ECLIPSE SS on an M1315W:
IMG_5256.jpg

Tim Dixon's Mach Madness entrant on an L2300G -- the last good photo we have of it before it did the "mondo shred" routine north of Mach 2.82 (per the onboard data):
IMG_5269.jpg

U of L trying their USLI rocket again, on a CTI smokey L motor:
IMG_5271.jpg

Frontpage's 'N'Motion:
IMG_5268.jpg

on a 98/17.5k Albino Assault N4000:
IMG_5272.jpg

Jackson Lubin's PR Gizmo on a stupid big Skidmark, last seen headed for orbit:
IMG_5283.jpg

Jason Griffin kissing his Ranum Dent:
IMG_5288.jpg

Vic Barlow's two stager boosting on a K1440WT:
IMG_5289.jpg

Jackson Lubin and his shiny new (sterilized?) Mach Madness trophy (see yesterday's pics for the flight):
IMG_5305.jpg

Purdue University's USLI team headed to 5265' on a K1200WT, watch out Huntsville:
IMG_5317.jpg

U of L finished out the day with one more flight of their test vehicle, not sure on the altitude:
IMG_5320.jpg

IMG_5321.jpg

I'm sunburned and exhausted but super happy. Thanks to everyone who came to Thunderstruck 2012 and helped make it so great.

We've got another launch at Ash Grove at the end of the month, and who knows -- I might actually fly something this time!

David---

Thanks for all of the awesome pictures!!!

It makes it nice for those of us that could not make it !

Great launch thanks to Indiana rocketry, all the vendors and everyone who helped. My son and I had a great time! Will be back for sure. Good seeing old friends and making new ones! Darryl, drag race was awesome! Love my new chute! And thanks to Hartle engineering for the awesome sweatshirt! ( and the centering rings ) my son appreciated that! See everyone at the next launch!!!

Dave, Thanks again for your pics, Waited all day for your upload lol, Cya at Red Glare! Pumped!

I feel like my flight which was supposed to be "the fastest flight ever",.was like the lamest flight ever. Great pics dave. I'm glad it was the Lubins that stole that #1 spot and not Griffs or wildmeister. It was a fun event and I'm sad I couldn't be there for reasons that cant be explained here. Tim says i had a good excuse though!

Took some videos at Thunderstruck.

Here is the night launch compilation. Its in HD so don't forget to switch it!:

[YOUTUBE]xaM30rwbX2Y&context=C4b93913ADvjVQa1PpcFOAsfiZIC8g6ahfx_wb48malSOyPhg_p-g=[/YOUTUBE]

I'll get some time this week and post some other videos too. Somehow I took 60 o_O.

Last edited:
Awesome pics, Dave! Looking forward to what you snap at RG.

Does anyone have the stats from the Mach Madness flights at this launch? I'd be interested to see how fast these things were going, as well as the outcomes.

Thanks all for the support! It's gratifying to have so many flyers come out and put up so many cool projects.

Here are the Mach Madness results:

Successful Flights:
5. Darin Raymond & Manny Ballestero flying "Carbon Nightmare II" on an M2xxx - Mach 1.40
4. David Kittell flying "Extreme Boilermaker" on a CTI M3700 - Mach 1.51
3. Brian Smith flying a Space Cowboy on a CTI K820 - Mach 1.89
2. Jason Griffin flying a Space Cowboy on a CTI K1440 - Mach 2.07
1. Jackson & Judy Lubin flying a Space Cowboy on a CTI K1200 - Mach 2.3

DQs (that I can remember):
Eric Cayemberg flying "Carbon Slipper" on a CTI M3100 - Mach 2.63 (too much wet sanding made it too shiny)
Tim Dixon flying "Blur" on a KBA L2300 - Mach 2.82 (shred on the way up -- it was so close!)
Tim Lehr flying some sort of Wild Child crossbred with a Blackhawk 29 on a CTI J510 - no data (cato, but it left all the grains stacked up in the tower, so +100 style points)

Great contest, overall. I had trouble taking pictures of most of them :cool:

Last edited:
Back