ThunderStruck 2012 Registration Open (Indiana)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First of all; a giant THANK YOU to the Indiana Rocketry crew; all who spent plenty of time and effort ensuring their guests would be warmly welcomed! We had a great time playing in the fields between Ash Grove and Battle Park!

I have more decompressing and reflecting to do to recall what happened this weekend; but bottom line: good times and great friends. Thanks for the hospitality!

Beware of the WOLF Park:y:

-Eric-

Thanks all for the support! It's gratifying to have so many flyers come out and put up so many cool projects.

Here are the Mach Madness results:

Successful Flights:
5. Darin Raymond & Manny Ballestero flying "Carbon Nightmare II" on an M2xxx - Mach 1.40
4. David Kittell flying "Extreme Boilermaker" on a CTI M3700 - Mach 1.51
3. Brian Smith flying a Space Cowboy on a CTI K820 - Mach 1.89
2. Jason Griffin flying a Space Cowboy on a CTI K1440 - Mach 2.07
1. Jackson & Judy Lubin flying a Space Cowboy on a CTI K1200 - Mach 2.3

DQs (that I can remember):
Eric Cayemberg flying "Carbon Slipper" on a CTI M3100 - Mach 2.63 (too much wet sanding made it too shiny)
Tim Dixon flying "Blur" on a KBA L2300 - Mach 2.82 (pressure sep on the way up -- it was so close!)
Tim Lehr flying some sort of Wild Child crossbred with a Blackhawk 29 on a CTI J510 - no data (cato, but it left all the grains stacked up in the tower, so +100 style points)

Great contest, overall. I had trouble taking pictures of most of them :cool:

Thanks for the great photos David!!! Great to see you again!

"Carbon Slipper" hit a Max V of 2995 ft/second, or 2042mph and treed itself 1.5 miles out, at the edge of the wolf park, just beyond the den of wolves and herd of bison, near the cat lady:cyclops:

While Tom and Kevin retrieved poles to retrieve 'Slipper, I went with the Lubin's to recover a cow skull...errr Space Cowboy; tracked that puppy down the skeleton graveyard 2 miles SSE of the launch site (near Battle Ground). Got back from our adventures at roughly 7:30, ate Sather's licorice, and retired to eat and sleep.

"Holy $*$t, I think I just saw three lions running through that field. What's that howling all about? Is that a german shepard or a mutant killer beast; you think it can jump that fence, it seems pissed? Those warning signs and 10' fences can't be all that serious, can they? Hey Judy, I'm putting that cow head in your van, mm-kay."

Holy crap Tim: M2.82...how many fps is that?

-Eric-

Thanks for the great photos David!!! Great to see you again!

"Carbon Slipper" hit a Max V of 2995 ft/second, or 2042mph and treed itself 1.5 miles out, at the edge of the wolf park, just beyond the den of wolves and herd of bison, near the cat lady:cyclops:

While Tom and Kevin retrieved poles to retrieve 'Slipper, I went with the Lubin's to recover a cow skull...errr Space Cowboy; tracked that puppy down the skeleton graveyard 2 miles SSE of the launch site (near Battle Ground). Got back from our adventures at roughly 7:30, ate Sather's licorice, and retired to eat and sleep.

"Holy $*$t, I think I just saw three lions running through that field. What's that howling all about? Is that a german shepard or a mutant killer beast; you think it can jump that fence, it seems pissed? Those warning signs and 10' fences can't be all that serious, can they? Hey Judy, I'm putting that cow head in your van, mm-kay."

-Eric-

Why were you DQ'd? Sounds like the Carbon Slipper flew and was recovered...

at the edge of the wolf park, just beyond the den of wolves and herd of bison, near the cat lady:cyclops:

Oh geeze I didn't know we had a cat lady :eek: Between you and Justin and Tim Fiedler's L3 flight, I think we now have a complete topographic map of the entire surrounding area. Thanks for coming Eric, it's always a pleasure to have you and your dad on the field!

-Eric-

Eric, lots of "critters" in Indiana, huh?

Raven2 reported 3147 fps right before cap power was lost as the LiPo was shorted by the Kevlar cord cinching down on the switch leads inside the av-bay (additional post mortem analysis to follow).

Tim, out of curiosity, did you glue the L2300 grains? I only ask because I've seen that motor work, and that motor not work. Yours certainly worked, and under a lot of acceleration that could possibly collapse a grain too!

Thankfully these critters were penned and we stayed out of the pens. Now, I want to clearly state that although I wouldn't want to share a fenced area with the wolves, the personnel at the Wolf Park were fantastically friendly and helpful! What made it an adventure was that we approached the park from the North, or the non-signed, no sign of life except for fences and wildlife side of things....we had no idea what we were walking into. Had we approached from the South, the large "Wolf Park" signs would've tipped us off. "Cat lady" lives adjacent to the (seriously neat) wolf park. Check it out if you care to: https://www.wolfpark.org/

David: you're doing a world of good for rocketry in the area: thank you for sharing your talents with those East of CA! It was great seeing all the students there; made for a bit different demographic than I'm used to at launches; I shared that with Judith as we were "having our moment":blush:

...I wonder if Justin is done with the video yet:wink: He got the Eclipse SS back I take it?

-Eric-

I only got a few videos, but you can check em out...

[YOUTUBE]gIHEpoyvWls[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]QsmfiCR5bRA[/YOUTUBE]

I have a couple more vids, but not sure what rockets they were, sorry.

[YOUTUBE]phg0UlGZa-o[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]_CeR1_oCh_0[/YOUTUBE]
[YOUTUBE]OZpTtP8wExA[/YOUTUBE]

Great event!!! If anyone finds a ill rascal with a grim reaper logo on it or a garmin gps without the collar let me know.

Thank
Cj
(not him the other one)

Tim, out of curiosity, did you glue the L2300 grains? I only ask because I've seen that motor work, and that motor not work. Yours certainly worked, and under a lot of acceleration that could possibly collapse a grain too!

Yes, have heard horror stories, but in the end decided to follow the instructions (no glue). I did watch the intact booster for many seconds arching over to the Southwest. I saw no hesitations or chuffs to indicate any grain/burn problems. In fact there were no wiggles or jerks in the trail at all leading me to believe the booster stayed intact for the whole flight, fins and all.

Had we approached from the South, the large "Wolf Park" signs would've tipped us off. "Cat lady" lives adjacent to the (seriously neat) wolf park. Check it out if you care to: https://www.wolfpark.org/

You know, I forgot to tell you at the launch, but actually when I was in the Indian Guides (boy scouts rip-off) about 10-11 years ago, there was actually a campground in battle ground, Indiana. I used to go to that wolf park ALL THE TIME! I totally forgot about it until "The Lion Tamer" put that pretty (Well, used to be pretty) carbon bird over there. I had not heard of Tim's (Lehr, not Dixon) failure. Tim, my girlfriend's happy that I beat you! :rofl:

Manny

Here's a couple pictures I took at Thunderstruck. Sorry that I'm not fast enough with my cell phone camera to take pictures of flights, so you all will just have to make due. The first couple show mine and sather's rockets ready for flight. The last shows some really cool heat damage off of Eric's rocket.

ready.jpg

arm.jpg

both.jpg

heat.jpg

Hey Eric!

Shoot me a PM. I still owe y'all for the cheddar and the cheese curds!

The Wife tried 'em and said she didn't like 'em. Funny, she had me re-open the bag three times before I put 'em up!:D

Cheese curds- Thyey kinda sneek up on ya!

Evil Ed

INDIANA'S FIRST "O" -- As in OMG!

photo.jpg

Well a big deal was made of this being the first O in Indiana. It was great to fly this somewhere closer than Blackrock. 15,000' , 884 mph, & Police recovery :y: what could be better. THE REAL STORY HERE; is it does not happen without the hard work of TRIPOLI INDIANA!!! Finding a field this size, keeping the landowner and neighbors happy. Organizing a launch this size and then intertaining all of us guests. Then when it's done tearing it all down after three days on the field (and one night). Thanks guys!!! I know where the real Heros are in this story. Looking forward to the launch the end of the month and all kinds of flying for two days.

Dennis

Last edited:
First, a huge thanks to all you who worked so hard to make this happen! I had a great time! Thank you!

Video of the first flight of the Hydra XL: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrBNa...ure=plpp_video

This was my first L2 flight! I just certified on my smaller version a week ago.

Hydra came within a couple hundred yards or so of the pads. No damage and will fly next time at MWP in October!

Two on-board Adept 22 altimeters reported an altitude of just over 3100 feet and were within 20 feet of each other. Rocksim predicted an altitude of just under 1900 feet on that K540. Any ideas or suggestions why such a discrepancy? It was too overcast and the rocket got lost temporarily in the clouds so unable to get an eye ball estimate of the altitude. I thought that maybe the wraps just above the ports may have caused those readings but surely the deployments were fine. Again, we couldn't see it happen due to the overcast sky.

I would appreciate any photos or video anyone got of this flight or my Big (red) Nuke that flew about 5:30 Saturday afternoon.

Attachments

• 103 g and we have lift off .jpg
    103 g and we have lift off .jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 0
What a great launch! Indiana Rocketry really knows how to run a range. Thanks for all of the hard work that goes into a show that well run. We’ll be back for sure.

Thanks to Eric Cayemberg for helping us find the award winning Space Cowboy. Jackson started out inadvertently tracking someone else’s rocket - someone who had not listed his frequency on the frequency board (just one of the many great range management features). After the other rocket turned off, we had no signal at all, and no clue as to where to look. But, luckily, we ran into Eric as he was on his way to get tree poles and head back to the wolf park. Eric launched his faster-than-we-can-even-dream carbon slipper just after we launched the space cowboy. Similar rocket, similar winds, must have landed in a similar place, right? Turns out, the wolf park workers had seen our rocket land “over near the buffalo patch”. Eric took us all the way past the wolf park and walked the fields with Jackson to recover it. Eric, we couldn’t have done it without you!

Thanks also to Eric for providing a fine Sconnie J300 for team Lubin’s inaugural research motor launched in Jackson’s Wildman junior. A little “independence day” celebration for us on the opening day of the launch.

Thanks also to Justin, Dennis and Crazy Jim for helping us search for the gizmo, launched on a “stupid big sparky”. Guess it was too stupid big. If anyone finds a gizmo with a 6 grain XL case in it, that’ll be ours.

Thanks also to Justin, Dennis and Crazy Jim for helping us search for the gizmo, launched on a “stupid big sparky”. Guess it was too stupid big. If anyone finds a gizmo with a 6 grain XL case in it, that’ll be ours.

Too bad you didnt find it. It was a beautiful rocket, well... at least at one point in its history

Last edited:
Here are the Mach Madness results:

Successful Flights:
5. Darin Raymond & Manny Ballestero flying "Carbon Nightmare II" on an M2xxx - Mach 1.40
4. David Kittell flying "Extreme Boilermaker" on a CTI M3700 - Mach 1.51
3. Brian Smith flying a Space Cowboy on a CTI K820 - Mach 1.89
2. Jason Griffin flying a Space Cowboy on a CTI K1440 - Mach 2.07
1. Jackson & Judy Lubin flying a Space Cowboy on a CTI K1200 - Mach 2.3

Has anyone noticed that the top three winners in the mach madness competition were all Space Cowboys? That’s one heck of a kit. I guess I need to extend my thanks . . . Thanks to Crazy Jim for designing the rocket, David Reese for designing the fins and Tim “the Wildman” Lehr for supplying the kit – Jackson actually earned that kit by doing some work for Tim.

This was the first big rocket launch I have attended. Very cool! Couldn't get enough. Big thanks for all the hard work putting on the event. I need to get busy on my L2 rocket. My brother stopped over with his 2 daughters Friday, and he is already emailing me about getting his L1.

Scott

Big thanks to Tripoli Indiana! I had a great time at Thunderstruck, and had a successful Level 3 Cert Flight! Will be back next year for sure!

First Mach Flight+First Flight over 10,000ft+Level 3 Cert= A really good weekend

Thanks for all who helped to make the flight a possibility!

Anyone know when I will be able to get my hands on the video? I thought I heard that someone was filming the event???

Last edited:
The event was filmed by JF and he does a great job putting the video's together. I won't speak for him, but it will take some time to do all the editing and such.....it is worth the wait!!!

Preston

Great launch thanks to Indiana rocketry, all the vendors and everyone who helped. My son and I had a great time! Will be back for sure. Good seeing old friends and making new ones! Darryl, drag race was awesome! Love my new chute! And thanks to Hartle engineering for the awesome sweatshirt! ( and the centering rings ) my son appreciated that! See everyone at the next launch!!!

Y'all need to post a pic of you wearing the sweatshirt.

It'll drive Rocket T. Coyote nuts!:D

Evil Ed

Just now getting out from the unpacking and cleanup from an unbelievable weekend in Indiana. Let me start out with a big thanks to the great folks at Indiana Rocketry. Thunderstruck was an incredibly well planned and well managed event. Never a shortage of pads, plenty of people helping out, and literally held on a field of dreams. I know there was a lot of hard work done behind the scenes, because it made the event effortless for the flyers in attendance. Thank you all. And a special thanks to Gus for all the help at the away cell, and to David for pulling those chutes in, and also for the great pictures. (We took a few, which are attached.)

IMGP7678.jpeg

IMGP7385.jpeg

IMGP7386.jpeg

IMGP7395.jpeg

IMGP7694.jpg

This was my first "big" launch where I was actually certified to fly HPR and boy was it fun. Thanks to all of Tripoli Indiana/Indiana Rocketry for putting on such a great launch. Without such a great field and well organized launch, my L2 certification flight would not have gone as well. Special thanks to Sather Ranum and Eric Cayemberg for boosting my confidence in my deployment system (Defy Gravity Tether) and for all the advice. I'm still processing all 1200 of my photos (something like 100 of them are of Tim L's Mach Madness rocket failing to light) and will hopefully have them posted by the weekend.

Thanks
Adam

Latest posts

Back