The better team won tonight in Phoenix

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You spelled "cheater" wrong.

Cheaters never win.

Seattle cheated 7 times during the game. NE cheated 5 times.

Ok,so,cheating is cheating, rite????

Penalties are punishment for CHEATING!

If a player gets called for holding...he CHEATED and he got caught. And once a cheat...always a cheat...and there is no such thing as a "little cheat"
So,the whole dam NFL is just a bunch of... no good,hang-em high, CHEATERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Why is the psi of the football(s) two weeks ago an issue for last night's game? Just asking.

Explaining how they may have cheated isn't an excuse for cheating. :)

-- Roger

Doug Baldwin, Bruce Irvin, Sherman Williams....
are all class acts. :facepalm:
One **** on the field
One got ejected
One ran his mouth a bit too soon. Ya Sherm..hold up 4 fingers, that's how many rings Brady has and that's how many points your team lost by...HAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Those guys would make me proud to be a Seahawk fan....NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha h ha ha ha aha ah

sherman.jpg

Last edited:
Doug Baldwin, Bruce Irvin, Sherman Williams....
One **** on the field
One got ejected
One ran his mouth a bit too soon. Ya Sherm..hold up 4 fingers, that's how many rings Brady has and that's how many points your team lost by...HAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHAHAHA

Those guys would make me proud to be a Seahawk fan....NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ha ha ha h ha ha ha aha ah

What he said. ^

_____, _______, _______....
One **** on the field
One got ejected

Fill in the blanks for the knuckleheads on every other NFL team. Be honest, at 14:30 of the 4th quarter, how many thought that New England was gonna win ? Did like it that a Division II kid made the play. Show him the money Mr. Kraft !

Now that that's over PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT ON 2/18/2015 !

New England championships: 4*

Is there some significance to the asterisk in your post? Does that indicate that you consider the latest seasonal win to be less than honest?

Take two flat footballs into an NFL equipment room. Use the air pump, which we all know increases the temperature of air as it pumps that air, as demonstrated by every diesel powered automobile and truck on the road today, and inflate the first ball to the NFL's upper pressure limit. Double check that pressure with trustworthy, accurate test gear. Then inflate the second ball to the NFL's lower limit. Once again, use accurate equipment to double check the pressures within both balls. Now, take them both outside, subjecting them to the same temperature delta. Leave them both in the same place, for the same length of time. Then test the pressure again.

You'll find the one inflated to the upper limit has lost pressure, but is still within the NFL's specifications. You will also find that the ball inflated to the NFL's lower limit has also lost pressure, putting it below the NFL's specs.

So, who gets the asterisk?

You do.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
If each team had a set of footballs that they used when they had possession, and if New England had significantly different pressure in their footballs than the Colts did, THEN I would understand why tampering with the ball pressure could be considered cheating.
Then you should understand why it is considered cheating! :)

-- Roger

That's not how I heard it. As it was explained on the radio here the day after the story broke all the footballs are used from the same pile, there's not a separate pile for each team to use. The referees just grab a ball and toss it into play. Both teams had the same balls to play with.

Is that not correct?

That's not how I heard it. As it was explained on the radio here the day after the story broke all the footballs are used from the same pile, there's not a separate pile for each team to use. The referees just grab a ball and toss it into play. Both teams had the same balls to play with.

Is that not correct?

Yes, that is not correct.

Cheers,
Michael

Is there some significance to the asterisk in your post? Does that indicate that you consider the latest seasonal win to be less than honest?

Take two flat footballs into an NFL equipment room. Use the air pump, which we all know increases the temperature of air as it pumps that air, as demonstrated by every diesel powered automobile and truck on the road today, and inflate the first ball to the NFL's upper pressure limit. Double check that pressure with trustworthy, accurate test gear. Then inflate the second ball to the NFL's lower limit. Once again, use accurate equipment to double check the pressures within both balls. Now, take them both outside, subjecting them to the same temperature delta. Leave them both in the same place, for the same length of time. Then test the pressure again.

You'll find the one inflated to the upper limit has lost pressure, but is still within the NFL's specifications. You will also find that the ball inflated to the NFL's lower limit has also lost pressure, putting it below the NFL's specs.

So, who gets the asterisk?

You do.

Have a nice day.

Every one of the Belicheck and Brady titles is not without significant controversy, not like a call or two one way or the other but more like Barry Bonds home run records. At this point that is fact accepted by sports fans nationwide, and the parallels are numerous. Sorry if that bothers you.

Yes, that is not correct.

Cheers,
Michael
I sit corrected.

And now I understand the controversy better. Thanks for clarifying. I've got no heavy feelings for either team, or for pro football as a whole (I prefer college football), but I tend to agree with the people that don't think the balls were deflated in an attempt to cheat. It makes more sense that they were set to the low limit inside, verified by the NFL, and then when taken outside they were cooled off and the pressure went down.

That would be verified depending on where the pressures were checked after the game. Were they checked on the field right after the game, or back inside after having had time to warm back up? If they were checked indoors the day after the game then the theory about the cold temperature deflating the balls is out the window.

Doesn't bother me a bit, because I understand there is a relationship between pressure and temperature. If it bothers you, keep your asterisk handy. If you look hard enough, you'll find "problems" with every win, in every sport, by every team, all over the planet.

So you're going to need that asterisk.

Funny thing, I just tune in and watch the game. I really do not care much about whether they filmed some other team, or if the balls were a little off. I simply enjoy watching these guys go out and play. I am not a fan of any team so I could not care much less who actually wins. Personally, I think the NFL has overcomplicated a very simple process -> just go out and play football.

P.S. if anyone thinks that any of these teams are not constantly looking for any edge they can get (even shady ones), then my buddy the tooth fairy has a bridge in Brooklyn currently owned by the Easter Bunny he will get you a great deal on...

Except now the new reports (which are just as reliable as all the other reports :eyeroll: ) say that only 1 ball was grossly underinflated and the others were "just a few ticks under the minimum" of 12.5 PSI.

I am guessing most people here are not athletes. Most of them are fans in the stands or just watch the super bowl so they can just say they watch football.

Every team tries to get a tactical advantage in a game. I don't apologize to anyone who thinks getting a tactical advantage is cheating. All that means is finding a weakness in the other team and trying to exploit it.

I sit corrected.

And now I understand the controversy better. Thanks for clarifying. I've got no heavy feelings for either team, or for pro football as a whole (I prefer college football), but I tend to agree with the people that don't think the balls were deflated in an attempt to cheat. It makes more sense that they were set to the low limit inside, verified by the NFL, and then when taken outside they were cooled off and the pressure went down.

That would be verified depending on where the pressures were checked after the game. Were they checked on the field right after the game, or back inside after having had time to warm back up? If they were checked indoors the day after the game then the theory about the cold temperature deflating the balls is out the window.

I agree with you on most points. But I do not see that we have enough scientific evidence to make a judgement either way...yet. It is not so simple as to say everybody knows that pressure decreases as a function of temperature, therefore that is the cause in this case. We would need more information such as, the chemical makeup of the gas inside the balls when they were checked, the temperature of the gas inside the balls, and more. The NFL will learn more. Whether they choose to share that information with the rest of us could be debatable.

We do know for certain that one touchdown in the AFC Championship Game was scored with an illegal formation that was not identified until after the game. We also know that it appears that Vereen was an ineligible receiver on at least 3 plays in the Divisional Playoff against the Ravens which was not identified until after the game. He declared ineligible for a play and then changed to eligible without coming out of the game for a play. So there appears to be a pattern.

But none of that came into play last night. We witnessed a classic Super Bowl between two quality teams. It had everything a football fan could want; momentum swings, brilliant plays on both sides of the ball, suspense. I'm surprised there isn't more discussion about that!

Congratulations to the Patriots!

Go Hawks!

Cheers,
Michael

The team that played better did not win. It serves them right though, as they should not have been in the SB at all, but the Packers self destructed. I'd say that the Seahawks "Packered" the game.

Every one of the Belicheck and Brady titles is not without significant controversy, not like a call or two one way or the other but more like Barry Bonds home run records. At this point that is fact accepted by sports fans nationwide, and the parallels are numerous. Sorry if that bothers you.
Bingo.

Fill in the blanks for the knuckleheads on every other NFL team. Be honest, at 14:30 of the 4th quarter, how many thought that New England was gonna win ? Did like it that a Division II kid made the play. Show him the money Mr. Kraft !

Now that that's over PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT ON 2/18/2015 !
Amen. The last words of the National Anthem are: PLAY BALL :wink:

Then why only one teams footballs had the issue?
Read the NFL rules please. https://static.nfl.com/static/content/public/image/rulebook/pdfs/5_2013_Ball.pdf Note there are no specifications as to the temperature of the measurement, or the time the balls are to be held at that temperature. Also note pressure is to be measured as psi, not psia which is the absolute pressure on which all the pressure-temperature calculations are based (psia = 14.7 + psi). The ideal gas equation is PV = nRT and if the ball does not have a leak n does not change so P1V1/T1 = P2V2/T2 and the game pressure will equal P2 = P1(V1/V2)(T2/T1). P2 is directly proportional to the absolute temperature only for dry air, and (V1/V2) is a constant only if the balls volume does not change with temperature or humidity. Actually P1 = P1air + P1watervapor and P2 = P2air+P2watervapor. As noncondensable gases only follow the ideal gas law, the pressure contribution of water vapor is nonlinearly dependent of temperature and contributes up to 0.5 psi of the absolute pressure inside the football at maximum temperature. None of these factors are accounted for in the sloppy, underspecified pressure measurement procedures.

The facts are that the referees checked the balls before the game, including the pressure (which they did not record), and approved all of them. They handed 2 bags with 12 balls each to an elderly ball attendant to take out to the field from the referees locker room. The ball attendant stopped to got to the bathroom on his way outside. Video cameras show that it was 98 seconds from the time he entered to the time he left. It would be an amazing feat to open the bag, and adjust the pressure of 12 footballs put them back and leave within 98 seconds.....

Also the account of the pressures within the balls has been overblown. Apparently 1 ball was ~2 psi low, a few were ~1 psi low, and the rest were at or just below 12.5 psi. https://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3...-investigation-of-patriots-deflated-footballs It would be nice to know the order and the time of the measurements. As a physical chemist I understand thermodynamics and the interdependence of gas pressure and temperature, and how to do a proper measurement. The weather conditions alone could describe the pressure reduction reported. And depending on the room temperature and the thermal time constant of the football. One could take 12 balls from the cold field to a warmer room inside and the balls will begin to warm. The first ball you measure will have a lower pressure reading than the second, etc. because the balls will warm up with time. Since apparently nothing was written down, or timed, there is no way to definitively determine what the actual pressures in an equilibrated ball was either in the locker rooms before and after the game, nor on the field itself during the game.

the controversy of Deflategate is definitely overinflated.

Bob

Funny thing, I just tune in and watch the game. I really do not care much about whether they filmed some other team, or if the balls were a little off. I simply enjoy watching these guys go out and play. I am not a fan of any team so I could not care much less who actually wins. Personally, I think the NFL has overcomplicated a very simple process -> just go out and play football.

P.S. if anyone thinks that any of these teams are not constantly looking for any edge they can get (even shady ones), then my buddy the tooth fairy has a bridge in Brooklyn currently owned by the Easter Bunny he will get you a great deal on...
I'm with Al-it's a GAME fer cryin' out loud! I also think Jeff hit the nail on the head with PSI-love the diesel reference-LOL. I should start selling shares in the World Domination Machine*...is it cheating every time I get a one little youngster hooked on rocketry? As a GAME, it was pretty good all in all. Go Chargers! Oh wait...they already went....

(for all you newbies, this is a plan to convert everyone in the world to be Rocketeers-that way we can get more favourable treatment in the press and by our lawmakers, enforcement and local idiots to understand our point of view. It's a work in progress....)

Last edited:
Me and the Mrs. kept toggling between the game on NBC and reruns of the FBI Files on the Escape channel, all the while stuffing our cake holes with bean and cheese nachos. Today, I've been taking The Browns to the super bowl. :facepalm:

Significant controversy, how so?
Guess it depends if your on the losing end or not.

What gets me...is how people can forget and forgive all the others(teams/players) that have broken the rules,cheated, their actions on and off the field, ect. .But,when it comes to the Patriots...OH NOOOOOOOOOOOO.
Not only do they want punishment.....they want to make up new and more severe punishments because its the Patriots..ya know,like making up the rules as they go .Kinda like cheating

And here the best part...even if the NFLs report states that no one broke any rules ,as much as they (haters) say play by the rules ,the Patriots' haters would not except the NFLs ruling on this matter.

I ask you "..melon" and all the other haters.... "If the NFL says the Patriots didn't break any rules, would you apologize to the Patriot nation for calling out a guilty plea before the trial?"

Last edited:
I am beyond happy that Sherman lost. That guy just runs his mouth WAYYYYY too much. I don't care if you're the best whatever at anything, you don't act the way that he does. He has been uncharacteristically quiet since last night.

Latest posts

Back