All right, vinyl fanatics: Gather 'round. Here's all you need to know about buying phono cartridges.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought the Aja release from them because somehow my copy is missing and that's such a classic album.
I've read where people say Steely Dan is in the room - but that's true of many good pressings.
Not sure it's worth the $149 they are asking.
They are nice, but not that nice.

I have a 180g Aja (Geffen) that sounds pretty good. I did buy an AS Rickie Lee Jones It's Like This 45rpm at AXPONA. Haven't unwrapped it yet. That was $60. I think that's my limit for vinyl reissues.

On another subject, setting anti-skating. I talked to J.R. of Wally's Tools at AXPONA about alot of subjects. He can talk alot and impress you with how smart he is while holding back useful technical information that actually might be useful. He does a have a rube-goldberg like device for setting anti-skate that Michael Fremer recommends. I did figure the engineering behind it and its pretty clever and easy for us to replicate for less than the $300 he charges for it.

Picture tying a string to your headshell pickup lever and tie to a point vertically above. Assume your tonearm is resting on its lift. Set the string length so when the tonearm lift is lowered the tonearm is suspended by the string (like a crane). Now lower the lift. The anti-skate force set for your arm will cause the arm to move away from the spindle and it will stop with some angle of the string off vertical. The tangent of that angle is the ratio of anti-skate force at the stylus to the VTF.

Assuming that the friction coefficient of the stylus in the vinyl groove is about 0.25, and the cartridge offset angle is around 22deg, tan(angle) should be around 0.2*sin(22) = 0.093. Or simply, the horizontal distance moved should be around 10% of the vertical distance. I think this method is superior all the others.

I drew all these vectors out but was too lazy to make a postable version of it. If this description did not convey I will be happy to draw something up.

Please do!
Part 1. This shows the generation of the skating force. The red line is the tonearm effective length which is the vector from the tonearm pivot point to the stylus. The green is the vector from the spindle to the stylus. The friction force on the stylus is is the black vector which is perpendicular to the green vector and tangent to the groove at the stylus. The magnitude of the friction force is u*Vtf. This friction force can be resolved into 2 components. One component is colinear with the tone arm and the other one is the skating force perpendicular to the tonearm at the stylus. This is the skating force we need to cancel out with the anti-skating setting. The offset angle for most cartridge alignments is around 22 degs.

Screenshot from 2024-04-19 22-10-07.png

Part 2. Below shows the vector of the hanging tonearm looking at front of the headshell with no anti-skate applied and after AS applied. The proper ratio of the horizontal displacement to vertical distance should be identical to the ratio of skate forces shown in part 1. Or about 9-10% for currently assumed cof and offset alignment offset angles for most pivoted arm setups.

Drawing isn't particular accurate as the height of the headshell will rise abit at it displaces to the right.....

Edit: The black vector is the vertical tracking force. The blue vector is the anti-skating force at the headsheel. The ratio of the blue to black length should be in the neighborhood of 0.1 for a ~9" tonearm. For a longer tonearm it will be somewhat less because the offset angle is less. All calculateable. u@sin(offset angle) is target ratio.
Screenshot from 2024-04-20 10-11-42.png

Last edited:
I'm strictly a linear tracking man after owning the Revox B791...ain't no screwing with tracking error:bravo:
At AXPONA I didn't find a single room demonstrating their stuff with a LT tonearm.
Edit: Correction I did not see any using one. But I didn't see all the rooms. During his analog turntable talk Michael Fremer didn't like them for a couple of reasons, mainly that the linear bearings can have issues. But I take opinions always with a grain of salt. But not seeing alot in use was a datapoint.

Last edited:
Back