Samara: a spinning conical rear eject monstrosity

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatgeek

Reaction score
As happens with many of us on the outer fringes, I had an oddroc-shaped hole in my life. On a lark, I bought a very heavy cardboard conical thread spool core at a local art thrift store. I’m pretty sure it cost 50 cents. It sat for a while on the table in my garage until inspiration struck. And this I present a Built Thread for Samara.

I like rockets that spin. I wanted to try rear eject since I don’t have any of those. And the TARC team I mentor had a few leftover parts from an Estes Designer Special. And I had some foam core left over from Drag Queen. Add all of that together, and you get this.

6F7E9076-6500-4FEC-B204-75BA4876EF52.jpeg

5E4FFA60-B0BD-4F7D-837F-61CF966E1A61.jpeg

FAD8ABA8-B334-4917-8EAF-5653D41AC1D9.jpeg

24mm motor mount, the top is a 24:18 transition, and a semi-standard centering ring sits aft. Motor retention is with tape. There’s a little chute, though a streamer would work just as well. The little piece of card stock on the motor mount helps keep the recovery train clear of the launch rod.

First flight was yesterday on a D12-3. An unexpected and very happy consequence of the thick heavily canted fins is that they buzz loudly in the air. When I flew, @BEC was a little ways away and came over to ask what the heck it was. Fun. Lots of fun.

The flight was remarkably good for a near-pure mindsim, though I neglected to add dog barf to the motor tube so it got a little scorched on ejection. I need to clean that up a bit before the next flight. I do have an OR model, but it uses the dreaded base drag hack and also doesn’t really fully represent the swept fins. Turns out that it’s very hard to make a normal program do silly stuff like this.

I was out at Sixty Acres with a tARC team and Eric was set up fairly nearby as he was working with his group. I heard this strange buzzing sound and mixed in with the sound of a motor burning. I looked over as this thing was still going up. I had to ask what the heck that was after the flight. Quite an interesting model....

That screams "Russian Space Nuke" to me! There, I just named it for you...

(and a video would be great kthxbye)
Will get a video at some point down the line.

I completely forgot to explain the name. Samara is the technical term for a maple seed helicopter. Given the shape, it seemed obvious to me. Of course, when I very proudly said that to my botanical librarian wife, she pointed out that samaras have mirror symmetry and the wings point the same way, and this has rotational symmetry. So there we are.

I've got a small Estes Tornado that I flew about a year ago. It was really fun to watch for me. It is definitely unsymmetrical. So, this is symmetrical?
This is imperfectly symmetrical. It was intended to be symmetrical, but I didn’t quite manage it.

This is imperfectly symmetrical. It was intended to be symmetrical, but I didn’t quite manage it.
I think that I have had similar behavior with my Double Shuttle rocket gliders. The 2 gliders also circle conveniently, although I did not intend things that way. I figure it is just imperfections in the builds.

Back