Stubby Midpower with Rear Ejection - Stinger!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thzero

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Bit of a cross post from the 3d printing section, but anyways.

This came out of some parts that I had sitting around from some prototyping and had just stuck a nose cone on a body, and then was like... oh that is cool looking, will it fly? And then, that's cool but really just nose ejection? Why not rear ejection just for something different?

The Stinger! is a 70mm stubby with rear ejection! Designed to run on E30-7 and F44-8 at about 550' and 900' respectively. Its 13.6oz loaded without motor. As its a stubby, it did have to have a bit of nose weight added to it around 3 oz.

For deployment, will be using a JLCR with 200' deployment altitude with a 24" main flat parachute and no drogue.

Did I mention the entire thing is 3d printed outside of the 24mm tube used as a motor liner?

514600-714b7c9002169c430a0dac3590f6a2fc.jpg

The engine mount slides out of the rear of the rocket upon ejection. Can do it friction fit or with shear pins. First flight I think I'll send it up with just friction fit. Not pictured is a kevlar shock chord that ties to a shock chord mount molded into the nose cone and a shock chord mount molded into the rear ejection pod - normally just use 4-5x length of the rocket.

514601-26341ad9ee195be348626f06a1252e9f.jpg

Motor installation is pretty simple, just unscrew the engine retainer and slide motor in, then screw on retainer. Then just do normal packing for parachute and slide it into the body with the shock chord, and then the pod slides in and ready to launch.

First flight should be at NIRA on the 20th, so we'll see how it actually performs! Hoping for a good flight up, and its big enough and low enough that should be able to see the entire flight and the rear ejection!

On the flight line...

PXL_20230820_160246829.jpg

Ran the flight on Aerotech E30-7... and it was nice and straight! My video work needs a lot to be desired.

Unfortunately on the downside, the parachute got tangled up (at least based on observation) and the vehicle came in ballistic out in the field, only slowed a bit by the tangled parachute.
Not sure if the rear ejection pod caused the issue, or what it was, so will have to adjust and try again.

Aftermath... the nose cone is in great shape, the fins are too and so is the ejection pod. The body not so much, I think it got hit by the ejection pod during landing as the broken fin was laying very close to the vehicle. Then also the motor mount was broken where the retention nut fastens.

PXL_20230820_161246826.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230820_160521250.mp4
    3.4 MB
Not sure why notifications didn't ping me...

But NIRA has a cub scout launch on Sunday so hoping to put next version of it up and see if a better job of folding the chute let's it deploy better.

The up part was great.

But yeah, let's see if it works and/or it was my screw up but thinking on doing something with the STLs...

Well better news this time from the launch yesterdya.

I didn't get the video, forgot to press record. Nonetheless, now that I did a much better job of packing the parachute, it performed flawlessly on the E30-7 with a JollyLogic Chute Release at 200' on a 30" parachute.

Anyways, here is a shot of it sitting on the rail...

PXL_20231022_165338629.jpg

I didn't get the video, forgot to press record. Nonetheless, now that I did a much better job of packing the parachute, it performed flawlessly on the E30-7 with a JollyLogic Chute Release at 200' on a 30" parachute.

Any chance you could show how you're packing a chute with a JLCR in there? I'm also working on planning a spool/rear eject setup with a chute tender and packing the thing in the "donut" available is not seeming straightforward.

Any chance you could show how you're packing a chute with a JLCR in there? I'm also working on planning a spool/rear eject setup with a chute tender and packing the thing in the "donut" available is not seeming straightforward.

Standard packing techniques for a JLCR with a parachute blanket, nothing fancy there. Its not too much different than packing a rocket from the nose cone in this case, because its a pretty wide body and all. The motor mount doesn't take up a lot of space, even vertically (only really E30 and F44s were planned for it).

Basics I have noted down
Attach JLCR to shock chord
Fold the chute
Attach JLCR to chute
Wrap in blanket as a burrito
z-fold the shock chord leading from nose cone, light wrap of 1/8" masking tape
slide shock chord into body
slide burrito into body
z-fold remainder of shock chord and slide into body
slide motor mount into place.

I looked and didn't have any pictures handy right this second.

So you're just using the space above the motor mount, not packing the chute into the "donut" between the MMT and airframe, correct?
Ah, I see what you are asking. Yeah, in this case not trying to pack the chute into the "donut". At least that wasn't the plan. :)

Back