LDRS 42 Parking

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had submitted a question on the site about parking with a trailer but havent heard back. I was concerned about parking, especially with a trailer. Getting asked to move my trailer several times like has happened at some other events is something I would like to avoid.

Last edited:
The posts Ken added above help, but here is a little more info, specifically about trailers.

The TL;DR is - you should not have to move your trailer once you set it up.

The parking area is large (and, yes, last year it was a harvested onion field, so everything you own did come away smelling like onion soup :)🧅). They do rotate the crops, so I am not sure what was planted in that space last season. There will be designated spots for BFR fliers and those spots are slightly larger and there will be dedicated BFR Manager station nearby to facilitate the BFR RSO and transpo process so those big rockets don't bog down the central RSO management station and field management. Last year, we did not fill up all the BFR spots, but, this being an LDRS, I have a feeling those spots will fill up. If you are a BFR flier and don't get one of the BFR spots, it is not that big of a deal. The next row of spaces is only 20 feet farther away.

All the rest of the spaces on the field will be first come, first served, but they are all big enough to accommodate a "normal" trailer and an EZ Up. I have two trailers - a 7x12 and an 8.5x16. The 7x12 and a 12x12 EZ up fit in the normal spaces with no issues. Th 8.5x16 and my 12x16 EZ up just barely fit in the BFR spaces. Hopefully, that should give you an idea of the kind of space you are working with.

Last year, for URRF, about a third of the parking area was used up. We already have double the number of registered fliers for LDRS vs. URRF last year, so I expect the parking area will be a lot more utilized this year, but there is a LOT of capacity. I want to say we carved out a couple hundred spaces last year (probably more) and maybe 60% of those spaces were used and there was still about half the field open behind the designated spots that was unmarked, but useable. Tim Lehr parked his really large Wildman trailer in the "back 40" at the beginning of the launch and I don't think anyone ended up parking within 100 feet of him.

Now, dragging your trailer through a muddy field... That is on you. I have not had any trouble dragging my 8.5x16 trailer through there with a Chevy 2500, but you know your setup better than anyone else. It is a large, plowed field. The likelihood of getting rain at least once during LDRS week is like 1000%, so, at some point, it will turn into a mud pit. Plan accordingly.

Last edited:
The posts Ken added above help, but here is a little more info, specifically about trailers.

The TL;DR is - you should not have to move your trailer once you set it up.

The parking area is large (and, yes, last year it was a harvested onion field, so everything you own did come away smelling like onion soup :)🧅). They do rotate the crops, so I am not sure what was planted in that space last season. There will be designated spots for BFR fliers and those spots are slightly larger and there will be dedicated BFR Manager station nearby to facilitate the BFR RSO and transpo process so those big rockets don't bog down the central RSO management station and field management. Last year, we did not fill up all the BFR spots, but, this being an LDRS, I have a feeling those spots will fill up. If you are a BFR flier and don't get one of the BFR spots, it is not that big of a deal. The next row of spaces is only 20 feet farther away.

All the rest of the spaces on the field will be first come, first served, but they are all big enough to accommodate a "normal" trailer and an EZ Up. I have two trailers - a 7x12 and an 8.5x16. The 7x12 and a 12x12 EZ up fit in the normal spaces with no issues. Th 8.5x16 and my 12x16 EZ up just barely fit in the BFR spaces. Hopefully, that should give you an idea of the kind of space you are working with.

Last year, for URRF, about a third of the parking area was used up. We already have double the number of registered fliers for LDRS vs. URRF last year, so I expect the parking area will be a lot more utilized this year, but there is a LOT of capacity. I want to say we carved out a couple hundred spaces last year (probably more) and there was still about half the field open behind the designated spots that was still useable. Tim Lehr parked his really large Wildman trailer in the "back 40" at the beginning of the launch and I don't think anyone ended up parking within 100 feet of him.

Now, dragging your trailer through a muddy field... That is on you. I have not had any trouble dragging my 8.5x16 trailer through there with a Chevy 2500, but you know your setup better than anyone else. It is a large, plowed field. The likely of getting rain at least once during LDRS week is like 1000%, so, at some point, it will turn into a mud pit. Plan accordingly.
Thanks man! I appreciate the info! And you definitely brought up a concern I have… mud and a trailer. That stuff was slick last year! 4x4 is a must if towing a
I imagine. I wont be bringing my trailer with out 4x4 and will definitely be in the BFR area.

I don't remember if it was LDRS31 or LDRS34, but the website let you sign up for parking slots when you registered. A bunch of our club member attending were able to sign up for adjourning parking spots. It worked our VERY well!

I guess that was a failed experiment. It certainly worked well for myself and other from our club. I suspect it was a huge burden on the host club and setup efforts.

Parking is first come first serve. Sites are 15' wide and 45' deep. We have somewhere close to 350 parking spots tentatively, and there onions in zero of them this time. I'll see about posting the parking map as we get closer and things get nailed down.

Parking is first come first serve. Sites are 15' wide and 45' deep. We have somewhere close to 350 parking spots tentatively, and there onions in zero of them this time. I'll see about posting the parking map as we get closer and things get nailed down.
Are trailers allowed in the first row/on the flight line in the BFR area or will the club want them parked further back? Just want to make sure if I pull in to drop the trailer in evening, it’s in the right spot.

OK, here is a draft of the field & parking map as it currently stands. This does not show any of the away cells, but everything out to the 500' pads are shown to scale. There will also be pads/towers at 1000', 1500', 2000' & 2500' as well. The vendors are all spaced out down the center aisle, and RSO & registration is right behind the range head. We potentially have up to ~480 total 15x45 foot sites for flyers to set up on. Subject to variation as things evolve. There are 16 low power rods, 4 pads for mid power, 8 each for high power at 200 and 300', and 4 pads at the 500' line on each side of the range. We are still finalizing the away cell configurations.

Attachments

• DRAFT_Field Map 22APR24.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
OK, here is a draft of the field & parking map as it currently stands. This does not show any of the away cells, but everything out to the 500' pads are shown to scale. There will also be pads/towers at 1000', 1500', 2000' & 2500' as well. The vendors are all spaced out down the center aisle, and RSO & registration is right behind the range head. We potentially have up to ~480 total 15x45 foot sites for flyers to set up on. Subject to variation as things evolve. There are 16 low power rods, 4 pads for mid power, 8 each for high power at 200 and 300', and 4 pads at the 500' line on each side of the range. We are still finalizing the away cell configurations.
Minor note: The 500ft line is marked as 200ft in the drawing.

Back