LDRS 42

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is a good caveat for everyone coming. It is a plowed field (this year, it was a plowed onion field) so it is exactly what you think - loose dirt. It rained all day Friday this year, so it was a muddy mess. The good thing is, the field dries out quickly,
Sounds like I wouldn't be able to go anywhere in my travel powerchair.:confused:

Sounds like I wouldn't be able to go anywhere in my travel powerchair.:confused:

Marty - I am not sure. It is relatively rough terrain. There were a number of people in powered chairs there this year, but they looked to me like they had some pretty decent knobby wheels.

On a dry day, things around the parking and flying area get flattened out nicely (dusty, but flat), so that shouldn't be too much of an issue, but, when things are wet, I have to imagine it would be pretty difficult to move around in a normal powerchair.

Having said that, we have a really amazing group of folks at URRG. You would be super welcome and there are a lot of people there willing to help you out to ensure you had a great time!

if you're chair is set up for beach going, maybe. It's very soft where you're going to recover rockets. I've never seen any chair of any type out there, but I'm only there 1-2 times a year. When walking, I generally sink an inch or two into the ground because it's tilled peat moss based. The ground is a extremely fine powder and i get a fair amount down my Keen Targahe III Mid's, which is something I don't see hiking. I'd definately have a recovery plan B as you will need it. I'd suggest reaching out to the club, maybe one of their kids would help you relatively inexpensively. There are a few roads (basically a incomplete wiggly circle around the perimeter) but walking 1/2 mile from a road isn't unusual
A power chair would work behind the flight-line, because things get trampled down and squished by BFR vehicles.

WOOOTTTTT!!!! YES YES YES YES!!!!! Potter NY and URRG is a mere 5 hr drive from where I live and easy to get to. I wouldn't even need a hotel although I may reserve a room regardless. Definitely going for that!! I believe the nearest hotel is in Penn Yan, although there might also be something in Dundee, I will have to check.
There are several hotels in the area, Geneva and Canandaigua are not that far and with early June not quite to the summer vacation season..

There are several hotels in the area, Geneva and Canandaigua are not that far and with early June not quite to the summer vacation season..
There are also two campgrounds in close proximity to the field.We stayed at Flint Creek campground, a.little less than a mile away.

WOOOTTTTT!!!! YES YES YES YES!!!!! Potter NY and URRG is a mere 5 hr drive from where I live and easy to get to. I wouldn't even need a hotel although I may reserve a room regardless. Definitely going for that!! I believe the nearest hotel is in Penn Yan, although there might also be something in Dundee, I will have to check.
Isn’t Penn Yan about an hour and a half from the Torrey Farms? I’m not from NY and I’m looking at lodging now.

I'll be in the BW. It's about a half hour or so to the launch site. Nice ride, the town is small. Make the left and you are instantly transported to farm lands.

What hotel will be the "main hotel" for people to stay at? I'm looking at staying in Geneva so that we are close to her family but also to the launch.
I asked this earlier and all I have heard is crickets until this page,thanks!!

Last edited:
crickets because there generally is no host hotel. This area books up really fast during the summer so hotels aren't all that interested in reserving blocks of rooms at a discount when they know they will go at full rate without any problems. Even this year's urrf, with poor weather and Canadian wildfire smog red alerts found the BW in Penn Yan booked the entire week

I already booked at the Country Charm campground for the weekend. As this is my very first large rocketry event - If I had the time to put a day on one side or another, what does past culture dictate? Come a day early? Or stay a day late?
I was going to arrive Friday mid morning and then head out Sunday morning. But if there is a reason to come in Thursday night or stay late Sunday and go home Monday I could do that too. What usually happens on the shoulder schedule?
Thanks,

Air BnB has been booke

crickets because there generally is no host hotel. This area books up really fast during the summer so hotels aren't all that interested in reserving blocks of rooms at a discount when they know they will go at full rate without any problems. Even this year's urrf, with poor weather and Canadian wildfire smog red alerts found the BW in Penn Yan booked the entire week
We stayed at the Flint Creek campground for the weekend,in my buddy Chris's new and well stocked camper, so if you have one of those you're all set.
I already booked at the Country Charm campground for the weekend. As this is my very first large rocketry event - If I had the time to put a day on one side or another, what does past culture dictate? Come a day early? Or stay a day late?
I was going to arrive Friday mid morning and then head out Sunday morning. But if there is a reason to come in Thursday night or stay late Sunday and go home Monday I could do that too. What usually happens on the shoulder schedule?
Thanks,
You do you Whatever works for you.

Thanks,
Event begins on Thursday.

Of course it's a Wildman scheme.... :p

I am tempted to make the journey. I will have to discuss this with the "Better Half". 👩‍❤️‍👨

As has been suggested, start making your reservations in the area now. You are not only competing with other LDRS fliers, you have to remember that this area (The Finger Lakes region) is a prime summer resort area and you will have about a million of your closest friends from the NYC Metro joining you in the local fun.

For everyone thinking about driving in from long distances, I really do recommend making it a destination trip. The Finger Lakes area is large and there is a lot to do. The whole region is a resort area, so it is great to take the whole week for a nice vaca.

If you haven't been to Niagara Falls before, it would be a huge miss not to pass through there on the way in or out (it is about a 2.5 hour drive from the field). Niagara is like the Grand Canyon - you have to see it at least once in your lifetime.

The Corning Glass Museum is right down the highway - very much recommended.

If you are into cars, Watkins Glen International is iconic and very close by - there is always something going on there on the weekend.

The National Warplane Museum in Geneseo is a must see (this year, their airshow was the weekend before URRF, so it lined up perfectly for a week long vacation trip).

If you are bringing kids, The Strong Museum of Play in Rochester is close and Legoland in Goshen should be on your travel list.

The whole area is littered with parks, camping, fishing, boating, etc opportunities.

Point is, there is a lot to do in the area, plan a full trip and make the reservations early to lock in prices and stave off the city dwellers. You can always cancel later, but getting the reservations closer to the event may be impossible/expensive.
Thank you for the great info. This will help to sway the big chief.

Hotel options to consider and have been mentioned already in several posts.

Country Charm Camp Ground Camper spots with power/ water etc. They have cabins as well, or just pop a tent. https://countrycharmcampground.com/

Flint Creek Camp Ground https://www.flintcreekcampground.com/

Local Miro Hotel by Wyndham. https://www.wyndhamhotels.com/micro...ham-and-suites-penn-yan-finger-lakes/overview

Best Western: https://www.bestwestern.com/en_US/b...s-vineyard-inn-suites/propertyCode.33130.html

Hampton Inn: https://www.hilton.com/en/hotels/elmpyhx-hampton-penn-yan/

Or consider renting a camper and having it delivered. Several sites offer these types of rentals.

18K waiver, great bunch of people, great food, plenty of room, and a TON of fun!

Back