OFFICIAL LDRS 42- urrg.us

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The Launch Field
I can't give you a field layout quite yet, but I can tell you that LDRS 42 will feature MORE launch pads & TOWERS than ever.
Things are still TBD but it's looking like this is how things will shake out.

"At the 500' row where normal "M" motors can go, we expect there will be 4 rails on each side, including both large pads and a hydraulic tower. Someone will have to check me on this, but I think that although an EX L is OK there, an EX M might have to go out to the next row out (first Away row) at 1000'. The plan is there will a tower and 2 or 3 pads there.

There will be pads and towers at 1000' and 1500', plus at least a pad or tower at 2000' and 2500'.

If I were launching a project off one of the farther away cells (O motor), do I need to retreat all the way back to the flight line? A lot of launches have a closer gathering spot near away cell for the rocket's team members/photographers and wondering if URRG will do something similar. Trying to figure out how long of a camera lens I might need if I decide to fly a large project at LDRS.

Thanks,
Todd Harrison

If I were launching a project off one of the farther away cells (O motor), do I need to retreat all the way back to the flight line? A lot of launches have a closer gathering spot near away cell for the rocket's team members/photographers and wondering if URRG will do something similar. Trying to figure out how long of a camera lens I might need if I decide to fly a large project at LDRS.

Thanks,
Todd Harrison
Hi Todd. No you will not have to go all the way back. Our away cell area is very large almost like a separate launch site. When you come out to the away cell area you will be assigned to one of 4 banks and then a pad or tower on that bank. you will be able to come back to the oasis area and watch your flight from there. Thats were the away cell range boss will be running the away cell area.
Thats a great question I am glad you asked hopefully that helps you and many others.

Thanks

48 DAYS !!!!!

48 days till LDRS.

REMINDERS

• The swag store will close on 5/1. Get your t-shirts, patches, pins, hats ordered. All items will be delivered to you on the field.
  • Raffle Tickets. These raffle prizes are amazing, our vendors have outdone themselves.
  • On line registration will end on 5/25, you can register on the field.

• Syracuse Rocket Club will be on the field to help the smallest rocketeers

• TRA will be there to help with all your certification needs

In short, the Web Store closes May 1st, less than two weeks!

And the last day to register for LDRS on-line is May 25th. From there the price will go up a bit? And need to register on the field after 5/25?

COUNTDOWN TO LDRS
45 days,
4 hours,
54 minutes,

59 seconds

Are you excited? I spent some time at the field this weekend and WOW. It is such a great place to fly.
Bring your projects, you can not beat the flight line and recovery area.

If you plan to fly BFR please let us know :
https://urrg.us/content.aspx?page_id=1478&club_id=453409&item_id=8781

REMINDER

The swag store closes on 5/1/2024 - That's 8 days, order your swag now. Very limited quantities will be available on the field.

On- Line registration ends on 5/25

Don't hesitate to reach out with any questions!

OK, here is a draft of the field & parking map as it currently stands. This does not show any of the away cells, but everything out to the 500' pads are shown to scale. There will also be pads/towers at 1000', 1500', 2000' & 2500' as well. The vendors are all spaced out down the center aisle, and RSO & registration is right behind the range head. We potentially have up to ~480 total 15x45 foot sites for flyers to set up on. Subject to variation as things evolve. There are 16 low power rods, 4 pads for mid power, 8 each for high power at 200 and 300', and 4 pads at the 500' line on each side of the range. We are still finalizing the away cell configurations.

Attachments

• DRAFT_Field Map 22APR24.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 0
I have a question. A small group of us (3 or 4) are attending and flying BFRs. I’ve seen it said before that the front row sites will be reserved BFR flyers. Is there any way possible for our club to get sites up front together? What is the procedure for that?

Thanks!

The front row isn't reserved for BFR flyers. The spots at this event are first come first serve. If you want a great spot I would suggest getting there Thursday. We plan on putting most BFR flyers in the right front and second row but that's not set in stone just easier for us to RSO the BFR's if they are in one area. We wont be allowing someone to come in and block spots for those coming later as thats not fair to those that travel early for a spot. If you have a few that would like to be together, and you all are signing up for many volunteer positions I might be inclined to talk to you further.

The front row isn't reserved for BFR flyers. The spots at this event are first come first serve. If you want a great spot I would suggest getting there Thursday. We plan on putting most BFR flyers in the right front and second row but that's not set in stone just easier for us to RSO the BFR's if they are in one area. We wont be allowing someone to come in and block spots for those coming later as thats not fair to those that travel early for a spot. If you have a few that would like to be together, and you all are signing up for many volunteer positions I might be inclined to talk to you further.
what about reservations for clubs?

A few of us from CRMRC are coming, it would be nice for us all to be together...

Paul you can PM me on your request.
Rick did a great job with the field layout map. I hope you all liked it. We will be putting some other items up that will further explain aspects of the field operations so everyone can get a handle on it prior to being there. This is going to be bigger than our past LDRS events with lots of equipment and support to keep it flowing for the flyers.
We're planning on 6 towers for this event and over 50 registered BFR's so far. You just can't make this stuff up.

OK, here is a draft of the field & parking map as it currently stands. This does not show any of the away cells, but everything out to the 500' pads are shown to scale. There will also be pads/towers at 1000', 1500', 2000' & 2500' as well. The vendors are all spaced out down the center aisle, and RSO & registration is right behind the range head. We potentially have up to ~480 total 15x45 foot sites for flyers to set up on. Subject to variation as things evolve. There are 16 low power rods, 4 pads for mid power, 8 each for high power at 200 and 300', and 4 pads at the 500' line on each side of the range. We are still finalizing the away cell configurations.

If I'm reading this pad map correctly 'M' motors at the 'C-Rack` are OK. My son and I are planning to fly EX/Research 'M' motor rockets; single motor, non-complex. I looked around and didn't find any mention of research motors requiring further setbacks than certified motor flights require. However, my elderly mind seems to remember a difference in setbacks. I just want another set of eyes on this subject as it might change the launch guide selection for our bigger rocket. It is a BFR and will be added to the BFR page but its just not photo ready yet. Thanks!
1714067319257.png

If I'm reading this pad map correctly 'M' motors at the 'C-Rack` are OK. My son and I are planning to fly EX/Research 'M' motor rockets; single motor, non-complex. I looked around and didn't find any mention of research motors requiring further setbacks than certified motor flights require. However, my elderly mind seems to remember a difference in setbacks. I just want another set of eyes on this subject as it might change the launch guide selection for our bigger rocket. It is a BFR and will be added to the BFR page but its just not photo ready yet. Thanks!
View attachment 642507

There is no difference in the setbacks for research vs. commercial for this launch. Here is a simple chart to show what can be flown at each bank (this will also be on the flight card):

TL;DR - If it is an M motor (or below) and going below 10,000 feet, it can go on the C rack. If it is a complex M (or higher) OR it is going above 10,000 feet, it will need to go out to the away cell pads (D-F).

Two notes:
- These are the minimums - you can always go out to a farther bank, if you want
- The RSO/FSO has the discretion to move any flight to a farther out bank, if they deem it necessary/prudent

Pad Reference Guide
ImpulseMax AltitudeBankSetback
H - K10,500'A200'
K complex, L10,500'B300'
L complex, M10,500'C500'
M complex, N14,000'D1000'
N complex, O15,000'E1500'
O complex, P16,500'F2000'
P complex - T18,000'G2500'

Last edited:
Hi, what is the criteria for BFR?
I had the same question and I was told to fill-out the online BFR form for marginal BFR rockets. In my case I have 3 simple L rockets and given the airframes are standard LOC card board, it is prudent to pre-clear them. If you are unsure I recommend emailing the URRG BOD your project and they can advise.

I had the same question and I was told to fill-out the online BFR form for marginal BFR rockets. In my case I have 3 simple L rockets and given the airframes are standard LOC card board, it is prudent to pre-clear them. If you are unsure I recommend emailing the URRG BOD your project and they can advise.

We are finalizing a BFR 1-pager right now (should publish here on TRF soon), but current definition is M-Motor or 50 pounds pad weight (or greater for each).

But, as Alex noted, you can't go wrong if you register your rocket.

I also encourage you to register, even if you think your rocket is "marginal". Beside giving the LDRS Committee a chance to review each submission, the aggregate numbers give us an idea of the volume we can expect at each pad, etc.

It is going to take close to 80 volunteer slots a day to run this event (yes, this is also a plug to ask you to sign up for something!) - the more we can plan and shift workload before the event starts, the better off the whole thing will run.

We are finalizing a BFR 1-pager right now (should publish here on TRF soon), but current definition is M-Motor or 50 pounds pad weight (or greater for each).

But, as Alex noted, you can't go wrong if you register your rocket.

I also encourage you to register, even if you think your rocket is "marginal". Beside giving the LDRS Committee a chance to review each submission, the aggregate numbers give us an idea of the volume we can expect at each pad, etc.

It is going to take close to 80 volunteer slots a day to run this event (yes, this is also a plug to ask you to sign up for something!) - the more we can plan and shift workload before the event starts, the better off the whole thing will run.
100% !! "It is going to take close to 80 volunteer slots a day to run this event (yes, this is also a plug to ask you to sign up for something!) - the more we can plan and shift workload before the event starts, the better off the whole thing will run."

Paul you can PM me on your request.
Rick did a great job with the field layout map. I hope you all liked it. We will be putting some other items up that will further explain aspects of the field operations so everyone can get a handle on it prior to being there. This is going to be bigger than our past LDRS events with lots of equipment and support to keep it flowing for the flyers.
We're planning on 6 towers for this event and over 50 registered BFR's so far. You just can't make this stuff up.
sent you a PM!

100% !! "It is going to take close to 80 volunteer slots a day to run this event (yes, this is also a plug to ask you to sign up for something!) - the more we can plan and shift workload before the event starts, the better off the whole thing will run."
My son and I are signed up for two shifts. Let's get closer and we might sign up for a couple more as the need becomes obvious.

Hey the map looks great, you guys are putting a LOT of effort in, it is appreciated!

For some reason, I keep noticing and hearing our name spelled or spoken incorrectly. It is actually SC Precision. I know the website address fakes people out........SCP is just the logo based on the initials, lots of people refer to SCP which is OK. I notice on the map spelled as SPC Concepts......even last year I kept hearing it on the PA incorrectly. I am not complaining! Just trying to get it corrected.......SC Precision, or SCP for short haha! See yall there!
Also - I had mentioned to Teddy we will have about a 25' hauler and our truck - it looks like we are sketched in with just a 10x10 tent. Last summer we were about the same footprint as Wildman........I don't want that to be an issue with space constraints.

Love,
Scott !!!! XOXO

Hey the map looks great, you guys are putting a LOT of effort in, it is appreciated!

For some reason, I keep noticing and hearing our name spelled or spoken incorrectly. It is actually SC Precision. I know the website address fakes people out........SCP is just the logo based on the initials, lots of people refer to SCP which is OK. I notice on the map spelled as SPC Concepts......even last year I kept hearing it on the PA incorrectly. I am not complaining! Just trying to get it corrected.......SC Precision, or SCP for short haha! See yall there!
Also - I had mentioned to Teddy we will have about a 25' hauler and our truck - it looks like we are sketched in with just a 10x10 tent. Last summer we were about the same footprint as Wildman........I don't want that to be an issue with space constraints.

Love,
Scott !!!! XOXO
Scott,
You are absolutely the nicest man in the world and are never a problem of any kind..
We will get the nomenclature correct for "Scott C" Precision Concepts, I promise.
I am planning on a dry run of my side of things in about a week or 10 days..
You guys just wouldn't believe what absolutely brilliant, sharp as tack, killer hard working folks are taking care of all the logistical challenges to get this show on the road, lol..
Yes, without a doubt, LDRS 42 will lift off exactly as scheduled and perform flawlessly..
I only with I could make each and every one of you reading this and every attendee understand how excited we all are..

This launch is going to go off like. a Mars shot..

I have another "Raffle Prize" update coming quite soon..
Keep a watch out for it..
Generosity is going to be the most understated word of the century after we give all of these rocket goodies away, lol..

Teddy

Back