ICEs and EVs

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There’s an objective difference between slowing down via engine braking and the ability to come to a complete stop without ever touching the brake pedal. You can’t do that on an ICE car without stalling it on purpose.
Just to be clear, the Ioniq 5's brake lights will come on as it slows to a stop. They just don't come as soon as some would like.

My BMW i3's brake lights during regenerative braking sort of match what you would expect though they turn off a few seconds after the car comes to a complete stop. They do turn on when you press the brake pedal which I tend to do while stopped even though I really don't have to.

A positive discussion about both ICEs and EVs:

I’ll just put this here.
If he wasn't going to use his Tesla for a while he should have had the brains to top off the lead acid battery with a charger occasionally.
Same as with any ICE.
And who owns a Tesla and doesn't use it for that long?
He could loan it to me, I'll find a good use for it during his downtime.
;)

If he wasn't going to use his Tesla for a while he should have had the brains to top off the lead acid battery with a charger occasionally.
Same as with any ICE.
And who owns a Tesla and doesn't use it for that long?
He could loan it to me, I'll find a good use for it during his downtime.
;)

My point is that if a motoring journalist can be caught out like this, so can Dan Average.

So, if you get caught out and need your Model S running now you’re in trouble.

Sure, maybe topping off your lead acid battery is in the car manual as are the instructions for getting to it. But then again, should you have to?

It seems like a design oversight to me. YMMV, of course.

Okay, it seems to me that the largest EV manufacturer in the world would ensure a better charging system that makes the battery that opens the door locks to be a charging priority.

Great in an emergency. Just brilliant.
I'm a bit tired and cranky right now, but not because of you. I just don't care to watch a video blasting anything or anyone, so I don't know what you're talking about.

I think this may be a time when Tesla suffered from not having enough auto industry old timers in key decision making roles. The more years in industry a person has, the more likely they are to have seen these kinds of edge cases.

FWIW, both of my cars have physical keys and a manual hood release to cover the bases if the fob or main battery dies.

Same as with any ICE.
How many Tesla drivers are completely unaware of this? I bet many. It managed to be a problem for a motoring journalist. Remember, he had the car plugged into a charger.

It is a bit like "Norman" doors. Doors, or anything else that a person would just expect to work without having to study, should be appropriately designed.
https://www.scoutalarm.com/blogs/diy-directory/what-is-a-norman-door. Too many designs don't consider the UX (user experience) enough.

How many Tesla drivers are completely unaware of this? I bet many. It managed to be a problem for a motoring journalist. Remember, he had the car plugged into a charger.

Which brings up two further issues:

Why is it so difficult to get to the 12v battery?

Is the addition of a trickle charger plug going to be seen as an 'Unauthorised Modification' and making your car's warranty invalid?

And another question:

The car obviously has circuitry in place to charge the 12v battery while the main battery is on charge, so why not use some of the main battery capacity to trickle charge the 12v battery when the main battery is fully charged and switches off the charging system?

Which brings up two further issues:

Why is it so difficult to get to the 12v battery?

Is the addition of a trickle charger plug going to be seen as an 'Unauthorised Modification' and making your car's warranty invalid?

And another question:

The car obviously has circuitry in place to charge the 12v battery while the main battery is on charge, so why not use some of the main battery capacity to trickle charge the 12v battery when the main battery is fully charged and switches off the charging system?
All absolutely valid questions that would have been answered if they had done an FMEA (failure mode and effect analysis).

Given the infrastructure the car already has it would likely just need a software fix.

That will never see battle
True, not with the current state of battery technology.
From Greg's post on the large electric battery thread:

DoD mission needs:
Readiness
Resupply
Safety.
Lithium batteries fall short in these areas.
But flow battery technology may change that.

Okay folks. He let the car sit for years and just expected it to work right away? Really??? Almost all higher end cars have eliminated the need for a physical key and the same thing will happen to them if left to sit for years.

That and this is from one of the guys that when they "tested" a tesla on their tv show the script they wrote called for the car to die in the middle of testing. The script was written before they ever received the car.....

Okay folks. He let the car sit for years and just expected it to work right away? Really??? Almost all higher end cars have eliminated the need for a physical key and the same thing will happen to them if left to sit for years.

Pretty sure it wasn't "years".

A while.jpg

Anyway, I was just trying to point out a potential trap for owners who think because the car is on charge everything will be hunky dory.

Anyway, I was just trying to point out a potential trap for owners who think because the car is on charge everything will be hunky dory.

Other manufacturers seem to have bypassed this problem, eg "Mitsubishi Outlander Phev does exactly that. Charges the 12V battery every day at 14:00" <if the vehicle has not been used that day> (Comments section of the above video, item italicised in angled brackets added by me after more research). So it's a known issue, to the manufacturers at least.

Teslas do charge the 12 volt from the high voltage. That said, many Tesla 12 volts fail around 4 years, and they are quite easily replaced. In fact my local Tesla service center replaced mine in my driveway for less than it would have cost me to purchase a replacement from WalMart. I replaced mine at the 3 year mark to be safe.
All new Teslas now come with a Lion 12 volt battery that is a lifetime battery. What other car manufacturers are doing that?

Back