AAA Study : EVs Lose Significant Range When Hauling Heavy Cargo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And in other news, the sky is blue, water is wet and the wind blows.

I'm getting really tired of the "It doesnt work on the edge cases so dont bother" EVs have their place. At this point in time large loads going long distances dont work real well for EVs. Get over it

Don’t you know that if something doesn’t solve all problems 100% perfectly, it’s worthless?

Gas vehicles also lose mileage when hauling heavy loads. It takes more energy to move more mass. It's basic physics. Like @SDramstad said, in other news, water is wet, grass is green, and the sky is blue. This supposed damning study is nothing revelatory to anyone with a modicum of sense.

This supposed damning study is nothing revelatory to anyone with a modicum of sense.
Agreed.

Thinking critically is hard for way more folks than we would like to believe, many folks just want to be told what to think, and turn to clicks online to find out what they should think INSTEAD of taking responsibility for making their own decisions. So called studies like this, that are 'nothing revelatory to anyone with a modicum of sense' are simply there to provide a result to those who WILL NOT think for themselves, and want to CLICK to get their thought process without assuming any responsibility for the outcome.

Besides.....surveys and studies make money flow, and give data points.......and that all drives clicks, because people want to be TOLD what to think when they click........and clicks make the money flow!

And it's ALL about money.

Last edited:
Range goes to zero miles if you can get the EV to the speed of light.

EV range ~ ICE gas mileage. Everybody knows that towing takes more gas. I get about 18-19 MPG with my Tacoma when I'm not towing, and about 14 MPG when I'm towing the NoBo 10.6 trailer (which is a very small trailer, 1600#). Nothing new here...

Agreed.

Thinking critically is hard for way more folks than we would like to believe, many folks just want to be told what to think, and turn to clicks online to find out what they should think INSTEAD of taking responsibility for making their own decisions. So called studies like this, that are 'nothing revelatory to anyone with a modicum of sense' are simply there to provide a result to those who WILL NOT think for themselves, and want to CLICK to get their thought process without assuming any responsibility for the outcome.

Besides.....surveys and studies make money flow, and give data points.......and that all drives clicks, because people want to be TOLD what to think when they click........and clicks make the money flow!

And it's ALL about money.
So, what is YOUR source of information ?

Without "external knowledge" ( being "told what to think" ), how did you make your decision(s) ?

What data was used to formulate your beliefs, opinions, and position on EV's ?

I bet it came from online "CLICK" sources . . . Cite your data !

This supposed damning study is nothing revelatory to anyone with a modicum of sense.
ALL studies that disagree with one's "personal beliefs" are "damning studies", aren't they ?

To avoid that, one tends to read things that "tell them what they want to hear" and dismiss everything else, as "senseless".

I towed a box trailer to LDRS from Phoenix to Orangeburg
Full size Chevy with V-6. Highway it got 21-22 mph. With trailer 10-11.
Same as current truck.
So one could interpret the mileage is controlled by the payload.
EV by itself is quite efficient, put a big square box behind it and it gets the electric equivalent of 11 mpg.

ALL studies that disagree with one's "personal beliefs" are "damning studies", aren't they ?

To avoid that, one tends to read things that "tell them what they want to hear" and dismiss everything else, as "senseless".
This is not a "personal belief", it's a real-world easily-reproduceable fact: Towing a trailer increases your power consumption. Are you saying that it does NOT? If so, fine... let's see your evidence.

Here's a real-world test... yes, towing with an EV will kill your range. Again, nothing new here... or unexpected.
Plus, the hassles of having to un-hitch your trailer, every 100 miles, or so, in order to be able to use the pull-through charging facilities.

QUOTE :

"The physics aren't different from towing with an internal-combustion pickup; in both cases the range will be sliced roughly in half. But in the case of these EVs, that reduced figure can be barely three digits. And low-battery warnings start in at roughly 50 miles to empty, when the battery pack is still nearly half full. Even if you're accepting of the lengthy recharging stops—which will be even longer due to the need to charge the battery further than when traveling unladen—most highway-adjacent charging doesn't allow pull-through access. And disconnecting a trailer—especially one like this with a weight-distributing hitch—every couple of hours is a major hassle."

END QUOTE :

Now, put yourself on a several weeks long, cross-country vacation trip, driving from the Miami, FL to Seattle, WA, hitting the State Parks ( campgrounds ), Tourist Traps, & Theme Parks, along the way . . . Not just the "shortest route" to Seatle, a REAL vacation ( 5,400 miles, one way, plus a different route on the return trip home ) . . .

Here's the outbound route ( almost 5,400 miles . . . Road Trip ! ) : https://tinyurl.com/4ct4sxkw ( It was a HUGE URL, before )

Here's the return route ( Shorter, just over 3.900 miles . . . It's been a long trip ) : https://tinyurl.com/4r6zwjh3

Now, it's reasonable to assume that the EV's range will be further shortened by temperature and mountianous terrain . . . 9,300 miles of driving, plus recharging stops, every 100 miles, or less . . . Reality.

With that said, I believe that, eventually, technological advances will enable EV's to truly be practical, in ALL respects. However, current technology does not allow that. How long will it take for technology to sufficiently advance ? I don't know, but I suspect a couple of decades, or more.

This is not a "personal belief", it's a real-world easily-reproduceable fact: Towing a trailer increases your power consumption. Are you saying that it does NOT? If so, fine... let's see your evidence.
Listen closely . . . Yes, ICE vehicles lose range, when towing loads, as do EV's . . .

For the sake of argument, let's says that the range of the ICE and EV are identical . . . HOWEVER, the inescapable FACT, is the added "time penalty", incured by having to fully recharge the EV, every 100 miles !

You cannot offset the "time factor".

Last edited:
Listen closely . . . Yes, ICE vehicle lose range, when towing loads, as do EV's . . .

For the sake of argument, let's says that the range of the ICE and EV are identical . . . HOWEVER, the inescapable FACT, is the added "time penalty", incured by having to fully recharge the EV, every 100 miles !

You cannot offset the "time factor".
So you dont use an EV for cross country travel with a trailer. So what???How many people do that anyway? I did in the late 90's early 2000's and honestly a gas powered pickup wouldnt work that well either so I got a diesel powered one. Worked fine. I dont do that anymore so an EV would work for the vast majority of my travel. Get over it.

I just giggle at people who need to have their "thing" do the the most extreme 'event'. And if not, then it's garbage..

Cars are a great example: I need to be able to pull a 45,000 trailer, over a snow covered mountain, during a power outage on July 4th.. and if I can't do that, then..
And rightly so, also to the car makers pushing their cars as being the only ones capable of that one-time need: needing an SUV for the that one winter storm, where the city is shut, but you need milk from the corner store for Jr's corn flakes....

So you dont use an EV for cross country travel with a trailer. So what???How many people do that anyway? I did in the late 90's early 2000's and honestly a gas powered pickup wouldnt work that well either so I got a diesel powered one. Worked fine. I dont do that anymore so an EV would work for the vast majority of my travel. Get over it.
Thank you for attempting to speak for me . . .

True, I do not want an EV . . . For the following reasons.

(1) Expense ( Initial purchase, plus eventual battery replacement )
(2) Inconvenience of delays, during charging, while on the road
(3) Very limited range
(4) Increased Insurance costs
(5) Potential fire hazard
(6) Having to returm to dealership for anything other than minor maintenance ( brakes, etc )
(7) Increased load on the Power Grid
etc, etc, etc.

NOW, if and when those issues are solved, I would consider an EV, becasue the technology would have advanced far enough, by then, to truly make EV's practical .

Dave F.

Never mind. Just easier to use the ignore button. Beginning to understand why many of you use it with wild abandon.
Yes, it's so much simpler to just "tune out" the things you may not agree with, rather than keeping an open mind, while considering the very good possibility that you may not be omniscient.

Yes, it's so much simpler to just "tune out" the things you may not agree with, rather than keeping an open mind, while considering the very good possibility that you may not be omniscient.

Moron. I'm on your side, mostly, on this particular issue in the first post.....but I guess your nature is just to urinate on everyone's head and try to convince them that it's raining.

I drove cross country in a car that only got ~120 miles to a tank of gas.
To top it off, the gas gauge died 2 days before the trip and I couldn't get a replacement in time.
That trip really sucked - stopping every 100 miles for 2500 miles.
Where did we run out of gas??? The climb from Cody WY to Yellowstone was the hard leg - ran out of gas in Yellowstone, but managed to coast ~1 mile to a station.
NEVER again....and that was with 5 minute refueling stops.
Couldn't imagine doing that when stops exceed an hour.
Would add a few days to the trip.

Wow, back at'cha...
I post the "receipts" ( URL's ) for the things I say. The others cite no references to support their positions.

Moron. I'm on your side, mostly, on this particular issue in the first post.....but I guess your nature is just to urinate on everyone's head and try to convince them that it's raining.
It wasn't directed at you, personally, sorry for the confusion.

This is a fact whether you are driving an EV or a gas engine. Hauling a load reduces MPG or miles per charge,

Something, something, pot, kettle, black.
I have never dismissed a supporter of EV's as being "senseless" . . . Rather, I have presented my position, accompanied by the information used to formulate my statements. In return, the only responses, in opposition, are dismissive or downright insulting. My response has been to challenge them to provide the data sources that they used to formulste their positions . . . The response has either been "crickets", or furthernegative comments, without any substance to back them. Cite your sources !

Eventually, there may not be a choice betwen ICE's and EV's . . . Granted, a "ways down the road", but still coming !

Data sources . . .

https://www.autonomy.com/blog/electric-vehicle-mandates-and-federal-and-state-incentives

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/30/1166921698/eu-zero-emission-cars

EXCERPT :

U.S. efforts to phase out gas-powered cars include future bans in several states​

President Biden has said he supports the proliferation of electric vehicles, and in 2021 he signed an executive order setting a goal that half of all new passenger cars and light trucks sold in the U.S. in 2030 be zero-emission vehicles, including plug-in hybrids.

Several states have announced future bans on gas-powered cars, though.

California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon and Washington have all said they would prohibit the sale of new gas-powered vehicles beginning in 2035, Money reported.

END EXCERPT :

I have never dismissed a supporter of EV's as being "senseless" . . . Rather, I have presented my position, accompanied by the information used to formulate my statements. In return, the only responses, in opposition, are dismissive or downright insulting. My response has been to challenge them to provide the data sources that they used to formulste their positions . . . The response has either been "crickets", or furthernegative comments, without any substance to back them. Cite your sources !

Eventually, there may not be a choice betwen ICE's and EV's . . . Granted, a "ways down the road", but still coming !

Data sources . . .

https://www.autonomy.com/blog/electric-vehicle-mandates-and-federal-and-state-incentives

https://www.npr.org/2023/03/30/1166921698/eu-zero-emission-cars

EXCERPT :

U.S. efforts to phase out gas-powered cars include future bans in several states​

President Biden has said he supports the proliferation of electric vehicles, and in 2021 he signed an executive order setting a goal that half of all new passenger cars and light trucks sold in the U.S. in 2030 be zero-emission vehicles, including plug-in hybrids.

Several states have announced future bans on gas-powered cars, though.

California, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New York, Oregon and Washington have all said they would prohibit the sale of new gas-powered vehicles beginning in 2035, Money reported.

END EXCERPT :
Do you get out of the house much? Asking for a group of people with piss on their collective heads...

This is a fact whether you are driving an EV or a gas engine. Hauling a load reduces MPG or miles per charge,
Hi, Chuck !

Yes, absolutely correct . . .

The inescapable problem is the time differential between an ICE "re-fueling" and an EV "re-charging". The longer the trip, the greater the negative impact.

From what I have read, a Ford F-150 V-8 ICE & the EV version, get roughly the same range ( 100 miles ), when heavily loaded with cargo.

It takes significantly longer to re-charge an EV vehicle, than it does to re-fuel and ICE vehicle .

Dave F.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back