What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took a day off of work today, just because. I still can't sleep past about 5:30 in the morning, so I got some rocket time in early today!

I'm slowly putting these multi-part fins together, doing number 3 of 4 this morning. I
1617371050082.png
I'm also taking my first pass at trying to fill spirals, so I have spent the morning sanding, and sanding, and sanding... Something rocket-like🚀 is taking shape though :)
1617371258727.png

Took a day off of work today, just because. I still can't sleep past about 5:30 in the morning, so I got some rocket time in early today!

I'm slowly putting these multi-part fins together, doing number 3 of 4 this morning. I
View attachment 458026
I'm also taking my first pass at trying to fill spirals, so I have spent the morning sanding, and sanding, and sanding... Something rocket-like🚀 is taking shape though :)
View attachment 458029
With all this sanding you mention, I was expecting to see the diamond airfoils on those fins... There's sanding, and then there's sanding! Still, :goodjob:

Updated my 'Secret Santa' wish list! :D

(I have a standard list I send out.. Realized I may be a little too open / vague about my wants & wishes! So, pruned it a bit; Added some specific "kit" wants & removed most of the "case" wants..

Finally got some time to do something rocketry related. Received my Naze32 flight controller (full version with magnetometer and baro) the other day and managed to get the antenna tracker firmware programmed into it today.
Wow, they still make Naze32s? That’s way plenty horsepower for what you’re doing. Sounds fun!

Today is a priming and sanding day.

Heading to the DARS club meeting tomorrow as well as picking up some of John Pursley's wraps from a club member.

I would guess many folks do a little rocketry work every few days. Maybe your work is not new thread worthy, but you might want to at least share with others.
If you feel like it, this can be a thread for that. On the arcade message board I visit they have a thread like that and it is nice.

1st post, Hello every one! I made decals for a memorial rocket for my mother in-law, (my contribution as I cannot be there). I also created multiple drone kits (more like Frankenstein kits) of Der V-3 and Phoenix (three of each) with D/E engine conversions included. Going to build one and if my directions are good will see if I can find buyers for them. Also working on a Starship enterprise 25th edition build (at the paint stage).

Played with rocket designs, stared at electronics components shipping tracking info, started a 37 hour print to start building a new 38mm launch tower.

Screen Shot 2021-04-02 at 9.54.14 PM.png

Today I finished my sort of oddroc. It is a 2.6" main BT with 3, 1.63" BT's as out riggers. It has a 38mm mmt. The mmt is at the rear of the 2.6" tube and mostly in front of the other tubes. It weighs 30 ounces with a parachute and is 69" long. I'm calling this one the SS Capella. Yesterday I finished the grid fin rocket. It's a 3" BT with a 38mm mmt. It has 4 grid fins and 4 strakes. I made the fins by making a frame of 1/8th Bass wood. Drilled holes and inserted 1/8th bamboo skewers. I attached the frame to a block of balsa and epoxied the fin to the BT TTW. I patterned it from the MOAB, Massive Ordinance Air Burst. It weighs 36 ounces with a chute and is 66" long. I'm calling this one BOAB, the Baby Of All Bombs.

Attachments

• 20210402_170335[347].jpg
    20210402_170335[347].jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210402_170347[343].jpg
    20210402_170347[343].jpg
    269.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210402_170400[344].jpg
    20210402_170400[344].jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20210402_003419[350].jpg
    20210402_003419[350].jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20210401_013515[349].jpg
    20210401_013515[349].jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 17
Got lots of build time on the 114% scale Thales Starstreak build project today. Worked mainly on the carrier core for the 3 Hittiles (Darts) and it's interface to fix it to the forward transition. Taped the 3 Darts, which have largely finished their basic build, into position on the mini rail guides to see how the final positioning is going to work out. Aft fin clearances are going to be tight!

Updated the built weights into OR to keep a track of weight and stability. Forecast final lift off-weight is 3.9kg incl. all motors.

Happy Easter everyone! 🐰🦘

Dart Carrier build pic3.jpgDart Carrier build pic5.jpgDart Carrier build pic1.jpg

Going to prime Estes "The Shadow" after sanding down the clear lacquer fill/sealer. My son had this one when he was 12 and I'm doing a "retro repro" in 29mm MP / HP. 3/16" Sig 10 ply fins, BMS BTH-80 tube (great stuff), etc. Also a 29mm Big Daddy with Vanderburn fins - don't think I'll have issues with nose separation with a 29 in there.7 fit up.jpgIMG_20210317_105902~2.jpg

Went launching with my club, South East Virginia Rocket Association (sevra.org). But my videos are too large to upload. Yesterday was 4/3/21! Had an amazing Comanche-3 flight to over 2,000'!

Painted the nose and fins on a 3" Sandhawk, painted the brown forward canards on a 2.2" BBX (it's now done and ready for flight) and the center red section on a 1.9" LOC RAM. Also glued up the fins on a Der Big Red Max.

Really don't care for these fins but they'll be papered with japanese mulberry paper and thinned epoxy and then pressed between aluminum plates with 20kg of weight on top.

Excellent use of the bolts to add Z-axis strength to the final print. Do you use a captured nut and/or thermal insert, or do they just thread into the holes?
Thanks Chris. They just thread into the holes. This is the 4th tower I've done this on & it works great to strengthen the EMT mounts. Without the bolts there, I'd expect to break the tower just moving it back & forth to launches. With them there, I've never broken one.

EDIT: it's not just added Z axis strength that I was worried about - X & Y too!

Thanks Chris. They just thread into the holes. This is the 4th tower I've done this on & it works great to strengthen the EMT mounts. Without the bolts there, I'd expect to break the tower just moving it back & forth to launches. With them there, I've never broken one.

EDIT: it's not just added Z axis strength that I was worried about - X & Y too!

Yeah absolutely, getting help in every direction. Most breakage ends up between layers, so I wrongly think of everything as adding Z-axis strength, even if it is really just protecting the layer bonding by preventing/guarding against shear forces.

Wow, they still make Naze32s? That’s way plenty horsepower for what you’re doing. Sounds fun!
The v5 version of Naze32 runs a STM32F103CB MCU. Much more powerful than the original (ATMega328P IIRC). V5 is also currently superseded, but it is what the firmware for the AAT was designed to run on.

Rejigged my altitude/azimuth mount today to allow the continuous rotation servo on the azimuth axis. Got the microcontroller partly setup, with new firmware loaded and part way through the calibrations etc. Sketched up some parts for the mount, to print on the 3D printer later in the week.

Yeah absolutely, getting help in every direction. Most breakage ends up between layers, so I wrongly think of everything as adding Z-axis strength, even if it is really just protecting the layer bonding by preventing/guarding against shear forces.
Good point. I broke one along a layer once (without a bolt in it) from a side load. All the strength please!

The v5 version of Naze32 runs a STM32F103CB MCU. Much more powerful than the original (ATMega328P IIRC). V5 is also currently superseded, but it is what the firmware for the AAT was designed to run on.
Very cool. I flew a quadcopter flight control in my L1 rocket along with a GPS and "receiver" probably running Cleanflight (2016, so whatever was popular then). I sent telemetry back to my Taranis r/c transmitter and wrote a Lua script to show the coordinates on the Taranis' display. It was a great tracker using parts I already had laying around.

I just dug up some pix of that setup. It looks like the board I used had an STMF303 on it, so it wasn't a Naze. Still, quadcopter parts!

IMG_8174.JPGIMG_0078.JPG

Last edited:
Nice setup with the GPS back through to the Rx.

My next challenge will be getting the GNSS data back from the TeleMega system and porting it to the AAT. It should be able to recognise the NEMA strings and figure out the location from that. That's one reason why I chose the U360GTS AAT, since it has support for many different GNSS protocols including autodetect.

Back