What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My next challenge will be getting the GNSS data back from the TeleMega system and porting it to the AAT. It should be able to recognise the NEMA strings and figure out the location from that. That's one reason why I chose the U360GTS AAT, since it has support for many different GNSS protocols including autodetect.
Good luck with it. Sounds fun!

Yesterday I programmed my RRC-3 for airstarting a G80 skidmark in my 2 stage Majestic. I must have run a dozen sims in Openrocket to decide what motors would likely work. Decided that an H163 white thunder would be a good booster motor.
I have flown the Estes Majestic several times with the 29mm black powder motors, but conditions have to be calm and a 6 ft. rod is necessary for a good flight. This will be my first attempt at airstarting a composite motor in this rocket.
Today, I woke up at 1 am and started brain storming all the stuff I need to do for the next few launches. Decided to solder another Eggfinder together. This might be a LONG day.

Yesterday I built a couple of sims for some silliness, build threads to come. Today I place an order for parts for said silliness.

Rockets to come have either not enough fins or too many rings, depending on which one you're looking at.

Finished another on. This one a 3" dual deploy with a 38mm mmt. It's 80" tall and weighs 68 ounces with the chutes. I haven't put the electronics in it yet. The altimeter is a Missile Works RRC3. I'm calling this one Red Dwarf. It was a TV show I used to watch when we were in England. It was very funny. And if the wind would die down I'll put the color coat on another one. But it will probably have to wait until tomorrow as the wind is blowing 20-25 mph with a ton of dirt in the air.

Attachments

• 20210405_201145[357].jpg
    20210405_201145[357].jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 6
I spent a lot of time with Rocksim tutorials so I can update some files. Also brought this in off the porch...

View attachment 458568

:bravo::goodjob::bravo::goodjob: Got mine off the mail truck today also.

If Scott is going to continue doing limited productions of military scale rockets, I’ll have to check his site twice a day or more, lol.

More rocket app development. My second 38mm launch tower 3d printed bracket is now 25 hours into its print.

Finished up my Iris 54mm. Along with a few beers

Attachments

• 29400396-4D04-4554-A88F-F80C3CC4ADBC.jpeg
    29400396-4D04-4554-A88F-F80C3CC4ADBC.jpeg
    75.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 41C52741-9F44-41F7-AFDD-0E7AEEBDE614.jpeg
    41C52741-9F44-41F7-AFDD-0E7AEEBDE614.jpeg
    136.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 3C1098DB-C2B6-4AFA-958E-389911FBF574.jpeg
    3C1098DB-C2B6-4AFA-958E-389911FBF574.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 14
Dropped into my LHS on the way back from an appointment. Purchased some thin-wall brass tubing to make a pitot-static tube for my VTS. Now I have enough tubing for a lifetime supply.

Also picked up an Estes Lynx that I liked the look of. Note our price for that item is $32AUD. This is the sort of thing we put up with in Oz. The shop only has a small rocketry section but I like to purchase something from them from time to time.

LHS.jpg

Now I have the tubing I can design the 3D printed mount for the pitot-static tube...

Also picked up an Estes Lynx that I liked the look of. Note our price for that item is $32AUD. This is the sort of thing we put up with in Oz. The shop only has a small rocketry section but I like to purchase something from them from time to time.

Good for you. Whenever I'm at the LHS I shoot the breeze with the owner and usually end up buying something, even if it's just styrene. He flew model rockets in the 70's and has a love for the hobby, but can't get people interested. We're hatching a plan for the local baseball field...

What about a composite motor in the booster and BP for the air start? That gets you past the launch speed issues without making the air start any harder.

That's a clever idea. I might try that with another build. This build has an RRC-3 in the N/C that should do the airstart if I have programmed it correctly. I've used one for another 2 stage, and it has worked twice. I'm not worried about lighting the CTI G80 as much as I'm worried about the Estes cardboard tubes failing under boost.

Finally got the nerve to glue the fin cans into the lower body tube. Still have more gluing, filets, fin work and etc ... but it's a good start. For some reason this is the scariest part of building a rocket, but also the most rewarding - it's now starting to look like a rocket!

Mark!

IMG_0020.JPG4IMG_0018.JPGIMG_0017.JPG

I'm relatively new to electronics in the rockets, But how on earth do you get this in and out of the coupler tube?
Remove one of the end caps/bulkheads, slide it in the coupler, re-attach wiring and re-attach the bulkhead. Long wires or connector plugs help...

IMG_6814.JPGIMG_6815.JPGIMG_6816.JPG

Last edited:
Today I ordered more than $70 worth of BT-19 from erockets for my summer project. Waiting to hear from Boyce about the rest of the stuff I need for it.

Keeping it a secret/surprise for now, but there will be a build thread.

The print finished on my second 38mm launch tower bracket. Here are both of them with little test-fit/fake rockets in them.
16F7FF19-6F38-408B-A0EE-6B5FFFBC531F.jpeg

EDIT: I also ordered more carbon for my 2nd & 3rd next rocket builds. I'm currently eyeballing HARA and TNT for weekend launch trips.

Last edited:
Nice. Does the square hole fit a 1010 rail? Are the cylinders for electrical conduit?
Yep. The launch tower will slide onto any standard 1010 rail. It uses 3/4” EMT for the launch tubes.

Here’s the old version of it. I’ll share my updated design on Thingiverse once I finish assembly. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3047161

Yep. The launch tower will slide onto any standard 1010 rail. It uses 3/4” EMT for the launch tubes.

Here’s the old version of it. I’ll share my updated design on Thingiverse once I finish assembly. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3047161

I missed that this slides on to a 1010 rail. That's a very clever way to set it up to save all the hassle of staking the tower out.

I missed that this slides on to a 1010 rail. That's a very clever way to set it up to save all the hassle of staking the tower out.
Thanks. It works really well and is quick & easy to set up. The biggest downside is that it’s not adjustable for different diameter rockets. So, I have a 24, 29, 38 and maybe a 54 on the way.

Back