What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's 106 degrees outside and Pandemic Rocket Junior wants to flush out some pandemics over at Jesse Owens Park. This is a tough location, with rows of mature pines. A rocket can get hung up on the way down.
#Pandemic #Covid19 #Rockets #reactionvideos

Yes, “left for work” does sound bizarre right now. ;)

Yeah, we've had a different corona experience than many. She does marketing for a pharmaceutical company deemed essential, so her team was told to return to work (even though her job could just as easily be done from home). I can't do 80% of my job from home, so I still go in and get to "enjoy" the reduced traffic and parking.

Had 3 flights today. 2 ended up wet and 1 came down quick because of a chute issue. All 3 will be just fine though.
Bumble bertha

Worked on my LaserLOC 2.23 motor mount today.

A94CE677-7462-445A-94C0-2E5A753A2F93.jpeg
BAE0D992-CDFF-4D98-8C03-97BA0F2B3574.jpeg

The LaserLOC is marketed as a minimum diameter rocket with av bay and payload section capable of a mile high on an H73M but that can be also flown in the Mid Power range using only the booster and nosecone on an F motor to 750 feet. Note the 29mm Aeropack 38 to 29 mm adapter. Weighs under the 3.1 lb limit in the Mid Power configuration.

Right up my alley: Full house for Snow Ranch and mid power at Gibson Ranch County Park.

Shipments from Badass Rocketry and Amazon arrived today: A set of BT 3-fin guides that live up to the Badass name, my MakerBeam 10x10mm by 900m rail, and Evergreen plastic I and H beams for use as conformal launch lugs on my BT20 Micro Mamba.

I’ve been haunting the Knight Mfg site and have my eye on an FLP-42 pad for class 1 rocket launches when I leave the Peoples Republic of California for a free state. High Desert Freedom Launch, baby! In the interim an Amazon Basics speaker stand ($30-$35) and a 6’ rail will fill the role. If anyone asks, my binoculars on the accessory mount will hopefully distract them.

Tested watered-down Elmer's Wood Glue and parchment paper as balsa filler for fins. Test successful, on to practical application.
So you papered the fins with water down wood glue. Any idea on the ratio of water to the glue. Otherwise isn't that the reason to use white glue for paper......it is water down and spreads a lot easier.

Went to animal motor works and got some CTI G motors and a rocket and a 18" parachute 15889702237596556775588925458353.jpg
Loc precision vulcanite
2 G54
1 G57
1 G68
1 G118

Started some of this last night, but what's a few hours among friends. Current projects in foreground.
Built 13mm Mosquito just to have it next to the Everglades Mosquito.
Primed bottom part of Tube Stack. I just had to paint something!
Working on unnamed project which is closest to the viewer. Reversed fins (ala Mars Snooper) are being investigated on OR. Will use cool nozzle that came with the Estes designer special.
20200508_163410.jpg

Been thinking about small field flying (like the elementary school play field down the street) and getting out MMX stuff. Have done a Mosquito with an MMX motor mount and a streamer, a downscale (to BT-5) Baby Bertha, the all-3D-printed MMX New Way Square One downscale and a Semroc MMX Goblin. Here's the Goblin getting its last fin installed earlier today.

Had to cancel tomorrow's club launch as Washington state is not yet to the point where even small outdoor gatherings are permitted.

IMG_2740.JPG

1. Beveled the fins of my mini-snake rocket and then epoxied them on to the fuselage using the Badass Rocketry BT20 3 fin guides. Very slick little devices and well worth buying the whole BT set.

2. Messed with the LaserLOC “snuffer” tube/shock cord mount but have substituted kevlar for the black nylon that came with the kit. Have determined the length of cord necessary and the location within the body tube where the “snuffer” will be mounted. Have never done one of these before but I’m new to minimum diameter birds. Also examined the included av bay kit and it’s evolved since I built my LOC bay kit. Not sure if I‘m going to use it. I really like the Landru 3D printed sled I ordered from Missile Works a few years back.

3. Sent a message from a vendor’s site asking for the third...maybe fourth...time for items that were paid for but omitted from two separate orders. If this isn’t resolved I will post the details and name the names. Big time vendor. Very disappointing.

Latest posts

Back