What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My great-nephew went out launching rockets at the local (to him) park today so I sent him a few photos of my rockets and a video clip of the 1st LUNAR Annual DarkMatter Drag Race.

Dang! I remember when his mother was younger than he is now.

Tempus sure does fugit.

Yes, it is a Knight pad. It was a little expensive, but made in a small shop and perfect for all the rockets we can launch outside of a club field. It fits all the rails I have with no welding on my part and it will last forever.

My son was looking forward to launching it all weekend. I was glad the weather worked out. He sure was excited after he pushed the button to launch it. He's been helping me build my 3" Punisher and paint a Wildman Mini that will have his name on it.

Went back to work on my LOC 4" Nike X/Zeus/Spartan project. It sorta stalled out waiting for me to decide how I was going to build up the main fins, Finally just sucked it up and started cutting, shaping and sanding all the little bits of wood and gluing them all up.

Pics later...

Maiden flight of my 3” scratch build
I call it UCANDOIT2
Paper tube plywood fins plastic nose cone
Absolutely as simple and basic as it gets
Probably have less than $50 in it
Big enough to be impressive to those new to rocketry but under 1100 grams so it’s a good performer on G motors without a waiver
Went to about 1100’ on a G74

Yes, it is a Knight pad. It was a little expensive, but made in a small shop and perfect for all the rockets we can launch outside of a club field. It fits all the rails I have with no welding on my part and it will last forever.

My son was looking forward to launching it all weekend. I was glad the weather worked out. He sure was excited after he pushed the button to launch it. He's been helping me build my 3" Punisher and paint a Wildman Mini that will have his name on it.
I have a Knight pad as well, still looking for a better solution for my launch controller to eliminate the wire for any HPR I might do- is that one home made, or is it an available for purchase one?

I have a Knight pad as well, still looking for a better solution for my launch controller to eliminate the wire for any HPR I might do- is that one home made, or is it an available for purchase one?

That controller is a Cobra Firing System for computerized firework displays. We use them on smaller shows to augment crews handing, but they are capable of timing fireworks to music with 0.1 sec precision. The pulses are long enough for different types of ignitors besides e-match and it will also accept 24v input if you need more power than the internal lipos. That is the standard module with 18 cues. I wouldn't recommend buying one just for rockets, but I have it for those shows and might as well use it for rockets.

That controller is a Cobra Firing System for computerized firework displays. We use them on smaller shows to augment crews handing, but they are capable of timing fireworks to music with 0.1 sec precision. The pulses are long enough for different types of ignitors besides e-match and it will also accept 24v input if you need more power than the internal lipos. That is the standard module with 18 cues. I wouldn't recommend buying one just for rockets, but I have it for those shows and might as well use it for rockets.
Ok, thanks- the search continues... ;)

I printed out the cardstock parts for the Atlas rocket in 1/48th scale in preparation for building "Men Into Space"'s M.R.-1. I have a feeling I'm going to be making it a 'D' class rocket.

Looking good, Wally.

Thoughts on a color scheme yet?
I'm bouncing back and forth between a gloss black or a chrome gold. Also out of primer, line was at least 30 people deep just to get inside home depot. Amazon will have it here in around 9 days, I don't know if I can wait- but I haven't painted fiberglass without it before. Thoughts?

I'm bouncing back and forth between a gloss black or a chrome gold. Also out of primer, line was at least 30 people deep just to get inside home depot. Amazon will have it here in around 9 days, I don't know if I can wait- but I haven't painted fiberglass without it before. Thoughts?
Seriously? 30 deep?

I went to Lowe’s yesterday and though the parking lot was at capacity, there were no social distancing lines to enter the store. At the registers, yes, but not to enter and I went at about 3-4 pm.

Try your Lowe’s if you have one.

Seriously? 30 deep?

I went to Lowe’s yesterday and though the parking lot was at capacity, there were no social distancing lines to enter the store. At the registers, yes, but not to enter and I went at about 3-4 pm.

Try your Lowe’s if you have one.
I may do that, but they usually only have Krylon, and I have had terrible results with it- I don't know if I have ever avoided having it run... But desperate times...

Shaped and sanded the fillets on my Frenzy XL. Found a bubble like I've never seen before in one of them. It echo's when I talk to it. Got all six shaped and rough sanded with the help of my Permagrit tools. I had forgotten them for a while, but o1d dude reminded me how handy they are:
Built and painted a set of plywood fly away rail guides from Apogee.

Once they were painted, I fitted them to my Micro Mamba so they pop off reliably when I release them. The tool I used was a 5/8” diameter PermaGrit sanding tube. It worked perfectly.

Can’t recommend the PermaGrit line highly enough. Spendy but they are lifetime tools, and they don’t clog. A brushing with a wire brush and you’re back on the job.

Here‘s the link... https://www.permagrit.com/

UK based company but I was able to buy mine from the LHS that specializes in R/C related gear. Amazon carries the line as well.

Got a package from Estes with a pack of E12-8's and a catalog in it:
warranty package from Estes.jpg

This was a warranty replacement for the triple cato that destroyed my LOC Viper 3.

Last edited:
Screwed up! 🤬 Spent an hour marking up my BT 60 Mach 1 Rim 66 with fillet and lug lines (I call it precise, the wife calls it anal 🙂) and then remembered I hadn't washed the fiberglass yet. Ah well, something to do tomorrow.

Screwed up! 🤬 Spent an hour marking up my BT 60 Mach 1 Rim 66 with fillet and lug lines (I call it precise, the wife calls it anal 🙂) and then remembered I hadn't washed the fiberglass yet. Ah well, something to do tomorrow.
Been there, done that.

That’s a nice looking bird.

I’d like to order one but no more orders from Mach1 until I get the BT60 Fiberglass Nosecone upgrade I ordered with my Chimera BT60 and the graphics for my RedShift BT55. Almost a month now on the graphics and two weeks on the nosecone...all bought and paid for...and two emails have gone unanswered. Not a good look for the company.

Did you get the SMT av bay with your Alien Interceptor? It’s an amazing piece of tech. I ordered another one and a boatload of cool parts for other rockets. Still waiting on it...owner working on getting parts and filament but the plandemic has disrupted the supply lines. He estimates two to three weeks before shipping. Same story with Eggfinder on the GPS modules.

BTW, Eggfinder is running a “pay sale price now and receive goods later“ sale at Black Friday prices.

That’s a nice looking bird.

I’d like to order one but no more orders from Mach1 until I get the BT60 Fiberglass Nosecone upgrade I ordered with my Chimera BT60 and the graphics for my RedShift BT55. Almost a month now on the graphics and two weeks on the nosecone...all bought and paid for...and two emails have gone unanswered. Not a good look for the company.

Did you get the SMT av bay with your Alien Interceptor? It’s an amazing piece of tech. I ordered another one and a boatload of cool parts for other rockets. Still waiting on it...owner working on getting parts and filament but the plandemic has disrupted the supply lines. He estimates two to three weeks before shipping. Same story with Eggfinder on the GPS modules.

BTW, Eggfinder is running a “pay sale price now and receive goods later“ sale at Black Friday prices.
No on the av bay, yes on getting in my eggfinder order. I'm surprised at the lack of response from Mach 1, I received my missing nose cone just days after notifying them. Email response was within an hour I think. Good luck, and in my experience persistence pays off.

Almost a month now on the graphics and two weeks on the nosecone...all bought and paid for...and two emails have gone unanswered.

I've also had really quick email responses from Steve at Mach 1. Did you try giving him a call? Sometimes emails get stuck in spam filters and whatnot.

No on the av bay, yes on getting in my eggfinder order. I'm surprised at the lack of response from Mach 1, I received my missing nose cone just days after notifying them. Email response was within an hour I think. Good luck, and in my experience persistence pays off.
Yeah, I’ll keep trying.

What Eggfinder package did you decide on. I’m looking at the Whole Enchilada/Mini and a Black Aero case. I have a launch club friend who does the entire assembly and testing for $25 and he’s keeps reminding me of that. I’d better get my order in, too.

Post some pictures of your Alien Intercepter once you get the color on.

Yeah, I’ll keep trying.

What Eggfinder package did you decide on. I’m looking at the Whole Enchilada/Mini and a Black Aero case. I have a launch club friend who does the entire assembly and testing for $25 and he’s keeps reminding me of that. I’d better get my order in, too.

Post some pictures of your Alien Intercepter once you get the color on.
I went all in on the whole enchilada plus a mini transmitter for those smaller rockets, ya know... 😁

the Whole Enchilada:
Eggfinder LCD Starter Set (TX GPS transmitter & LCD receiver)
Eggfinder LCD-GPS Module
External Antenna/Connector
Data Cable
Eggfinder Mini transmitter kit: (includes special stubby external antenna)
OpenLog data logging module (logs GPS data to micro SD card):
(Fits directly on Eggfinder TX RevC1 board)

I started building a Semroc Defender that is on of the older items in my build pile. The design causes a slight deformation of the lower tube, and with surface mounted fins, I broke down and order a set of fin guides for 3/32 balsa from Qualman. Setting the initial assembly aside until receipt of said guides, I had to start on the AMW Fiber Bigger Daddy. The parts are soaking in a hot soapy sink as I write this... :headspinning::music1: Oh, I also got some swag from OBH with mIMG_7242.JPGIMG_7249.JPGIMG_7262.JPGIMG_7264.JPGIMG_7266.JPGy harnesses...

Dang! That fiberglass Bigger Daddy is awesome.

Going to have work faster on whittling my build pile down to point at which I can slide the ‘GlassDaddy in there.

Good call on the whole enchilada. It’s what most of us out here are using.

Wet sanded loc 2.6 amraam and sprayed the last coat of clear. Laminated last fin skin for MDRM and cut on mitre. Glued to core. Put bondo on the 2 fins that are already laminated.9706A107-BCD2-4F9C-B4F4-6604217FC6B4.jpeg3BFC5238-15E2-4B84-A887-55BF79F1E2A4.jpeg

This was yesterday, but I ran build sessions #2 with the sixth graders. Group 1 got a little behind/off track, but all that’s left for them is launch lug and streamer attachment, glue fillets for the fins and decorating.

Group 2 got finished with “homework” to do the glue fillets, and start decorating.
The teachers haveone more session scheduled for Friday, but that will most like be show and tell, as well as some rocketry video sharing.

Since I had to build 2 rockets (oh darn) for the classes, my initial rocket paint theme ideas are: “STEM EAGLE” and “VISION 2020”

oh, and I got permission to post these:
A9B56533-CD7A-40DA-B308-78DEED3F8580.jpeg
B3404116-33B4-4D3A-87F9-711B29E250F0.jpeg
zoom session from one of the teachers POV with students names/faces obfuscated for privacy.

Latest posts

Back