What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not just today, but over the weekend we did an inventory of our rocket motors and started prepping rockets for the SSS launch coming up next weekend.
Inventory is necessary when you are getting this many rockets ready:

prepped rockets 2.jpg
Those are just the larger rockets that won't fit in the LPR box.
From top to bottom:
LOC Queen viper on 3x H100's
Stinger on L1115
standing on right: Jimbo Jart on K360
the Super Jart and R2-V2 are not going, just standing by the pile
Formula 75 "Another Juan" I297
Avalanche K456
Red Tailed Extreme L1040
Argent DD H115
Mammoth G106
Arreaux G75
LOC Semper Fi H178
Star Orbiter G75

Not shown are all the low power rockets packed into a large plastic box and Sharon's "Big Bad Juan", possibly flying on one of my coveted K590 dual thrust motors.

The boxes in the background are some of the motors we inventoried yesterday.

Copied and pasted this from our motors list:
Inventory is current to 5-10-2020
318 low power (up to 29mm) and 115 high power (from 38 mm up)
433 motors plus ~ 40 EX = 473 motors ready to fly.

Looks like weather conditions are good for this weekend, high of 94* low of 63* wind tops out at 10 mph in the afternoon. Springtime in sunny AZ!

The wife and I were at a junk shop, and while there, I found a couple of old balsa airplane kits. Walking around, my wife found a DIY oddroc kit. She asked me if I thought it could be made into a rocket.

I was kind of struck dumb for a minute or two, and then said......Well, yes, actually....

What do you think?
Ah, another bottle rocket.

I assume that's a plastic novelty bottle, not actually a giant glass one.

Ah, another bottle rocket.

I assume that's a plastic novelty bottle, not actually a giant glass one.

I *think* it's acrylic. It's made from four pieces. Two make the white section. Two make the green section.

A 3" blue tube fits pretty much perfectly in the bottom with minimal modification. It will be a little heavy, but maybe something I can work on by New Years, but, maybe not, it is fragile, and I'll have to make sure it doesn't come apart. Guides will be an issue.

The wife and I were at a junk shop, and while there, I found a couple of old balsa airplane kits. Walking around, my wife found a DIY oddroc kit. She asked me if I thought it could be made into a rocket.

I was kind of struck dumb for a minute or two, and then said......Well, yes, actually....

What do you think?
Asti la vista, baby!

What do you think?
Your wife is a keeper.

Not just today, but over the weekend we did an inventory of our rocket motors and started prepping rockets for the SSS launch coming up next weekend.
Inventory is necessary when you are getting this many rockets ready:

View attachment 416010
Those are just the larger rockets that won't fit in the LPR box.
From top to bottom:
LOC Queen viper on 3x H100's
Stinger on L1115
standing on right: Jimbo Jart on K360
the Super Jart and R2-V2 are not going, just standing by the pile
Formula 75 "Another Juan" I297
Avalanche K456
Red Tailed Extreme L1040
Argent DD H115
Mammoth G106
Arreaux G75
LOC Semper Fi H178
Star Orbiter G75

Not shown are all the low power rockets packed into a large plastic box and Sharon's "Big Bad Juan", possibly flying on one of my coveted K590 dual thrust motors.

The boxes in the background are some of the motors we inventoried yesterday.

Copied and pasted this from our motors list:
Inventory is current to 5-10-2020
318 low power (up to 29mm) and 115 high power (from 38 mm up)
433 motors plus ~ 40 EX = 473 motors ready to fly.

Looks like weather conditions are good for this weekend, high of 94* low of 63* wind tops out at 10 mph in the afternoon. Springtime in sunny AZ!

I want to be Wayne when I grow up.

I used a fondant shaper to start on fillets for my Saberhawk. I really like this as a shaping tool and will try some other sizes as I build. The ball was easier to pull the epoxy around the forward and rear edges of the fin and I think it worked better for me than using a piece of PVC pipe or a tounge depressor.

I also started on the long task of filling and shaping the ugly fillets on my Punisher with Bondo Spot Putty. I should not have tried to salvage old epoxy that didn't flow. The time it is taking to fix the shape wasn't worth the lost product.

PSX_20200511_174312.jpg

What do you think?

I wonder if you could put a big “silver platter” on the bottom to get enough base drag to fly it. Kinda saucer style.

I want to be Wayne when I grow up.

Yeah, and they promised us jet packs too. :dontknow:
I refuse to grow up, I'm having WAY too much fun!

Just finished up building the K456 Dark Matter load for my Avalanche. This rocket won the Avalanche drag race at LDRS 37, and we picked up #1 and #2 Wildman edition of the AT 54/1706 casings at LDRS 38:
Avalanche and Aerotech.jpgfull A and A.jpg

Rummaged through my motor chest and measured the longest 38mm case I have so I can install the “snuffer shock cord mount” in the body tube of my LaserLOC 2.23.

Ordered a Wildman fiberglass BT60 nosecone, browsed LabRat for a 38mm nosecone bulkhead to fit it, visited LOC and discovered the LaserLOC 3.13 has been released (ouch!)...would make a swell big brother to my 2.23 as would the little 1.63 to complete the family.

Need to build more and buy less.

Rummaged through my motor chest and measured the longest 38mm case I have so I can install the “snuffer shock cord mount” in the body tube of my LaserLOC 2.23.

Ordered a Wildman fiberglass BT60 nosecone, browsed LabRat for a 38mm nosecone bulkhead to fit it, visited LOC and discovered the LaserLOC 3.13 has been released (ouch!)...would make a swell big brother to my 2.23 as would the little 1.63 to complete the family.

But buying is so much fun!

Heresy... If you build more you MUST buy more... it's physics, I think.

Back