What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It was great to see you Terry. I’m still crawling home. I’m at the second of four airports boarding a plane for the second of three legs. I’ll be home at midnight. But I will be home!
Sounds like you're in a situation like a colleague referred to, when asked "How do you get to Murray, KY?" "Well, you fly out to the Middle of Nowhere. Then you drive for two hours...and you're almost there." :)

I down loaded the flight data from my RRC3 using mDACS. I flew on Sunday with the WWAR Club at the Grantsburg WI. Airport. I modified a LOC 3" Caliber ISP to be a dual deployment rocket. It was a perfect flight. It's nice getting your investment back ready to fly again. :DGrantsburg Flight Data 2019_09_01.jpg

Every picture tells a story don't it. ;)

Attachments

• IMG-1374.JPG
    IMG-1374.JPG
    221.3 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG-1369.JPG
    IMG-1369.JPG
    127 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG-1371.JPG
    IMG-1371.JPG
    122 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG-1372.JPG
    IMG-1372.JPG
    215.1 KB · Views: 80
I'm getting three Swingers ready for a planned launch tomorrow. Two are about 20 years old built from '99 kits. The stickers were about falling off the wings so I peeled them off and reapplied them with spray adhesive. As some of you have probably guessed or intuited, those stickers were inspired by '70s pony cars and are supposed to be slightly kitschy. I also found the surviving Swinger II prototype from the early 2000s. That project stalled because the thing is bi-stable and sometimes settled into flying upside down. Maybe it's karma biting me for the aerodynamic sins of kludging a lifting tail. The nosecones are missing, but I'll either substitute some from the Estes PNC-20 pack or resin some slightly scaled down Centuri PNC-70s on the OMG resin printer tonight.

I probably should talk about this in the Swinger clone thread, but a late post about "nostalgia for dangerous toys" scared me off. The Swinger is what happens when somebody who could use another year or two of experience designs a RG that pretty much works right off the bat. How do you know that you need a year or two more experience until you had a year or two more experience? Today, I also come across the original prototype from '98 which had around 27-8 flights until the tail snapped off and it was retired so it worked.

My favorite brown truck made a delivery today!

aXjlkdu.jpg

The Magician has finally reached flight-worthy status (or so it seems). The motor mount has dried, the chute and shock cord rest in their proper places. Everything is glued down hopefully solid enough to survive the blast of flight. It probably needs something more design-wise, but I think I'll wait until after the first flight. Up to this point it's the largest rocket that I've built. We'll see how well it phooshes.

Since coming out as a BAR, I have built six rockets: 2 Mosquitoes, an Alpha III (it came with a launch kit), an Estes Black Brandt III, an Apogee Blue Streak and the Magician. The Sky Shenzhou still has a few more steps to go. I have moved a little up the skill level ladder from BAR Beginner (Alpha III) to BAR Intermediate (Mosquito, which I still can't believe now qualifies as intermediate, Black Brandt III and Magician). Many categorize the Shenzhou as a skill level 3, but I wonder if level 2, or maybe 2.5, makes more sense. For my next kit, I ordered an ASP WAC Corporal (the 24mm to 18mm model), which sounds fairly challenging. I haven't built a 2-stager yet. We'll see if glory or shame results. I haven't stopped building yet since my epiphany only some months ago, but eventually I'm guessing that I'll run out of room. Epiphanies take up a lot of space.

IMG_7868.JPG

Unloaded the trailer after a week in the rocket pasture. Doing laundry since then, and will continue tomorrow with cleaning big motor casings.
Spent a couple of hours getting the 98mm XL casing out of my Ultimate Darkstar, only to find a bubble at the top. Brand new GEN2 casing:
IMG_2064.jpg

Front room after we unloaded all the goodies we picked up at LDRS 38:
IMG_2061.jpg

Tomorrows cleanup:
IMG_2063.jpg

Good news is that I won't have to cleanup the big 98 casing.....

Finished upacking the truck from SodBlaster 2, and downloaded my RRC3 from the one and only flight I had time to make.

The Magician has finally reached flight-worthy status (or so it seems). The motor mount has dried, the chute and shock cord rest in their proper places. Everything is glued down hopefully solid enough to survive the blast of flight. It probably needs something more design-wise, but I think I'll wait until after the first flight. Up to this point it's the largest rocket that I've built. We'll see how well it phooshes.

Since coming out as a BAR, I have built six rockets: 2 Mosquitoes, an Alpha III (it came with a launch kit), an Estes Black Brandt III, an Apogee Blue Streak and the Magician. The Sky Shenzhou still has a few more steps to go. I have moved a little up the skill level ladder from BAR Beginner (Alpha III) to BAR Intermediate (Mosquito, which I still can't believe now qualifies as intermediate, Black Brandt III and Magician). Many categorize the Shenzhou as a skill level 3, but I wonder if level 2, or maybe 2.5, makes more sense. For my next kit, I ordered an ASP WAC Corporal (the 24mm to 18mm model), which sounds fairly challenging. I haven't built a 2-stager yet. We'll see if glory or shame results. I haven't stopped building yet since my epiphany only some months ago, but eventually I'm guessing that I'll run out of room. Epiphanies take up a lot of space.

View attachment 392381

BAR? = BadAssRocketeer? Is there a post somewhere here with Acronyms and meanings?

BAR Intermediate (Mosquito, which I still can't believe now qualifies as intermediate...
Estes has changed its rating system. Anything beyond RTF/ARF/E2X is now called Level 2, which includes plenty of former Level 1s. See this thread.
I haven't built a 2-stager yet. We'll see if glory or shame results.
Just take it slow and careful, follow the directions, and you'll be fine. Staging requires new steps or techniques, but not many and not really harder ones as long as you don't try to rush it.
Epiphanies take up a lot of space.
:) Nicely put.

Looks great, I love that rocket. Judging by the number of people that have reported losing them, the Magician phooshes very well indeed.

More of the same but always enjoyable. Zephyr is coming along. Waiting for paint to dry thoroughly takes longer than anything else. She's got her gloss white and today I can paint the fins and start adding the decals.

Little Joe is finished, Redstone is getting there. Painting to do there still. And the other Estes I found (forget the name again) is white primered so I can see all the bad stuff and start filling and sanding.

Attachments

• IMG-1376.JPG
    IMG-1376.JPG
    114.1 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG-1378.JPG
    IMG-1378.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG-1379.JPG
    IMG-1379.JPG
    129.5 KB · Views: 66
  • IMG-1381.JPG
    IMG-1381.JPG
    141.6 KB · Views: 61
Watching paint dry on a rocket is more exciting than watching paint dry on anything else. The anticipation of getting to the next stage(no pun intended) of the build is the excitement. You forgot the filling and sanding and filling and sanding and the filling and sanding. ;)

40 minutes of taping and a few careful coats of paint later results in crisp lines on the Fliskits Morning Star. Going for the stock paint job as shown on the packaging. I’ll let this cure for a while and then carefully tape over the black to prepare for painting the fins and body yellow and the shroud blue. May just use a fine brush and paint the shroud by hand.

View attachment 391005
Problem with the fin details... have done them before, and they tend to break when the rocket comes back down... but in all, the paint job and bottom half looks exceptional...;);)

After and event and a launch it gives us something to do. Rockets like model planes are in a constant state of repair. Although it can become a little annoying looking at the kit pile and not being able to get to it as soon as you would like. ;)

After and event and a launch it gives us something to do. Rockets like model planes are in a constant state of repair. Although it can become a little annoying looking at the kit pile and not being able to get to it as soon as you would like. ;)
Made some alts to my Astron Explorer they looked nice but the rocket had a bad landing and destroyed one of the fins, i was not happy.. spent hours doing details all for it to crash and destroy the paint job... I should try not to get to emotionally attached to my work...
p1030143-jpg.375503

Yesterday:
Assembled a Quest DC-Y Space Clipper. My kind of rocket. No filling, sanding, primer or paint.
Crummy cut and peel paper decals. The white on black nose cone decal is usable, but the flag and USA decals are on a white background and the shroud is gray.
Found good subs in my spare decals baggie. (I build plastic models as well).
Just need to finish up by clear coating, applying decals, and another clear coat.
Only recommended motor is a C6, at 300' apogee. Good candidate for the Quest C and D QJets.
0904190944[1].jpg

Today:
Started an Estes Space Ship One (Ansari X Prize winner).
Sticker on bag warns that this rocket has been known to fly erratically.
Sounds like a challenge. :D
0904190945[1].jpg
0904191054[1].jpg

Pre-filled and sanded the wood prior to gluing, to make it easier on myself.
Decals are stick on plastic. Will re-scan and print on laser decal paper.
Gives me the chance to try out my laser printer that's been lying in the box for a couple of months.
Scratch two more from the build pile, having a ball, too much fun.
Build, build, build.

Yesterday:
Assembled a Quest DC-Y Space Clipper. My kind of rocket. No filling, sanding, primer or paint.
Crummy cut and peel paper decals. The white on black nose cone decal is usable, but the flag and USA decals are on a white background and the shroud is gray. <Snip>

Great kit, as most of the Aeroshrouds were. What is Quest up to these days? I'm about a 3 hour round trip from any decent hobby store.

Back