What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was disappointed to find out that the Estes C11-3 motor, recommended for first flight, is out of production
Bruce,

C11-3/5 are available again. AC Supply lists them on their Engines page.

C11-3 Re-released and available as of 4/02/19
C11-5 Re-released and available as of 4/02/19

There was huge thread either here or on YORF about the this when they were first discovered to be be discontinued.

Cheers,
Jon

Still doing the AutoCAD archive dive. Around 2000, Fishman wanted launch controllers to go with wanting launch pads. This would have been the fancier one. I have no idea what the case would have looked like. I was toying with aping translucent teal era Apple, aping Bauhaus, or aping Googie. View attachment 391302
Doug,

Do you have more detail about what that might have incorporated? Relay? It looks interesting, but trying to figure out the schematic from that isn't my strong suit.

Also ordered some more Cotronics via phone for L2 build. Still waiting on parts and waivers lol... In the meantime I’m trying some 13mm builds.

Doug,

Do you have more detail about what that might have incorporated? Relay? It looks interesting, but trying to figure out the schematic from that isn't my strong suit.

It was pretty much a little hand held controller for Estes and Quest type ignitors. It had a voltage regulator, three ultra-bright LEDs, five or so transistors, a quad comparator, and a 556 chip with a little piezo speaker. No relay. The comparator was for telling the difference between open, good, and shorted ignitors. The LEDs were for displaying which condition. The 566 chip and speaker was to make different annoying beeping noises for each condition. I should try to find the notes or reverse engineer the thing some day.

Well, seeing this thread reminded me to get back to repairing shock cords that I would have otherwise forgotten after four hours of end-tour overtime. Plus DBCSes #19 and #48 were giving me no end of weird troubles.

1E8E7D98-7C73-4CC6-8BE7-D4542A4152B5.jpeg Bought a Klima ME-163 R/C Rocket Glider, ran about $112 shipped from Europe. Durable EPO foam. Meant for the Klima D-3P.

It’s got a 18mm MMT but the 18/20 RMS AT D-2.3T-P supposed won’t lift it from vertical so I want to bore it out to 24mm MMT for composite E power. Should be a fun build this year.

Yesterday and this morning-
Lightened the build pile by two: A Semroc Li'l Centauri and an Edmonds Micro Deltie.
Fun builds, I may go and build their full size brothers. We'll see how they fly first. Wish I had remembered to scan the parts before assembly.
Small mod on the Deltie: No thrust ring included in the package, and no mention of a thrust ring or building one with thin tape on the end of the motor in the instructions. So I decided to make it easier on myself and glued in a 13mm thrust ring, since all mini motors are the same size.
Build build build.
0831190822[1].jpg

I was able to do some test flights on my Chute Release that was rescued after spending nearly 2 years hanging in a tree. I was amazed and it worked perfectly. The only thing I had to replace from its time in the tree was the rubber band and the pin. Great product Jolly Logic!!

Now off to build my Luna Bug. :)

Jim Z

I finished up AutoCAD Archive Slog II today. I knocked loose this forgotten curio. I must have been really inspired- or really bored- some afternoon back around 1998.....

zoomie.png

I found and fixed a few more rockets for an unofficial launch tomorrow. I loaded up the car.

There are some that I still haven't found. A Quest DC-Y that I bought in the summer of '94. Centuri Micron and Estes Mark II clones with 13mm motor mounts that I made in my Compaq days. A funky Holverson Designs prototype from between JSV and Fun Rockets when I did a lot of freelance Photoshop for Dugan Brothers. It was sort of a style mashup as in what if Centuri made the Cherokee D.

Built and just finished painting my Luna Bug. Not in the package color scheme because I didn't have any green. I ended up with a metallic blue. Maybe I'll do the package color scheme on the next one. #LunaBug #rocketoftheyear :)

Jim Z

Built and just finished painting my Luna Bug. Not in the package color scheme because I didn't have any green. I ended up with a metallic blue. Maybe I'll do the package color scheme on the next one. #LunaBug #rocketoftheyear :)

Jim Z

Pics you slacker

Flew the first rocket of today at LDRS. "Poor Planning" is a 4" upscale Alpha, flew on an I-140 using (gasp!) motor ejection, rarely done anymore on anything past an H motor. About 1600 feet.

Attended the banquet and member's meeting. Four different kinds of BBQ---ribs, pulled pork, sausage, and brisket---and terribly fattening side dishes and desserts.

Also stepped down---well, am stepping down---as chair of the TRA Research Committee.

Best -- Terry

Hoping that I know how to paint a single silver line on a large rocket... the (hopefully) protective cover thing ended up looking scarecrow-esque or mummy-like... I hope it doesn't scare the neighbors...

IMG_7851.JPG

And I'm hoping that I didn't overdo the initial layer...
IMG_7852.JPG

And the instant I finished I felt raindrops... it could be an interesting day here... we'll see when the bandages come off...

Filling, sanding, filling, sanding, primer, primer, nose cone paint and now waiting.

Attachments

• IMG-1355.JPG
    IMG-1355.JPG
    168.9 KB · Views: 67
  • IMG-1356.JPG
    IMG-1356.JPG
    105.6 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG-1358.JPG
    IMG-1358.JPG
    120.7 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG-1359.JPG
    IMG-1359.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG-1361.JPG
    IMG-1361.JPG
    190 KB · Views: 69
Thinking of doing this as a fun sport model. Using a vac-formed CM cone from my 1/39.5 scale Little Joe II models (BT-101), leaving out part of the Joe body, no tower, longer wider fins. A bit Goony-ish. Would use the same kind of paper wraps I made for the Estes kit, resized.

qjiL7Kd.jpg

Back