What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tried working on my first Sod Blaster video, only to find my editing software had major problems with the video clips. These clips play fine individually on my computer. Sigh, this could take some time to work on.

Ryan, try VSCD for a video editor. It's free & very powerful.

https://www.videosoftdev.com/

OOOHHHH. A yellow Phoenix. I LIKE IT!!! Looking forward to the final product!:)

There will be much less yellow than what you see there, that's just the base for the rest of the colors. I've got a long road of masking and drying ahead of me.

I havent been calling it Hot Bird for nothing these last few months

Started practicing for Competition which is in about 2 weeks. My buddy and I were shooting rockets in 100 degree temps, and with winds blowing 5-10mph south east ... we shot a total of 4 rockets; 1 alpha class, 1 heavy class Alpha rocket( Alpha rocket with 4 fins+ weight in the nose cone) and two Wizards ( light class high altitude ). We used 4 A8-3 engines. All 4 rockets flew nicely, we were using 2 parachute recovery 1 streamer and 1 free fall. All the rocket's recovery systems worked perfectly. We were aiming for a 50 yard target the closest rocket to the target was 25 feet away.. Overall the practice lead to one rocket breaking off its fin...

Ah...filling and sanding and the QQC is starting to get better looking. Those 4 side mounts are a bear to get smooth and presentable.

Mary is building her first rocket.

Got out my 10 year old (once a kit I produced) X-15 Variant for preflight inspection.

And stared at my Disney TWA moon rocket model wondering if I should attempt to build another one that flies someday.

Attachments

• IMG-1446.JPG
    IMG-1446.JPG
    136.4 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG-1447.JPG
    IMG-1447.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG-1449.JPG
    IMG-1449.JPG
    175 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG-1450.JPG
    IMG-1450.JPG
    160.6 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG-1451.JPG
    IMG-1451.JPG
    137.7 KB · Views: 97
Pretty much just applying the fillets on a Luna Bug. A fast build going slow because it takes a while for those little meniscuses of glue to dry. What America needs is an accelerator for white glue!

And stared at my Disney TWA moon rocket model wondering if I should attempt to build another one that flies someday.
Oh, hell yes!

What America needs is an accelerator for white glue!
Since white glue actually dries (i.e. cures by evaporation as opposed to some other reaction) a very dry environment and/or mild heating should help.

Got the Sprint fins off the wasteboard. It was nerve-wracking and the results were disappointingly (but not surprisingly) ragged.

RAGGED.png

That little scrap of blue painters tape visible at the upper right is structural. If I'd tried to peel it away, it would have taken the corner of the fin with it. I left it in place for all three fins.

assembledfins.png

The the sanded/primed/sanded fins aren't very photogenic, but the edges are clean enough and I learned what I wanted to learn from the attempt (mostly, I learned not to run a contact point boundary cut right down to the back of the stock when milling balsa).
spritnparts.png

I printed a tailcone which turned out to be absurdly heavy. I figured it was going to be scrap anyway (I am oversupplied with odd-ball parts around which to build rockets), so I tried to make some weight-reduction holes.

I tried melting holes by heating a piece of brass tube in a propane torch and pushing it trough the plastic -- but it cooled down too quickly to make any progress ( I am NOT going to buy a hot knife).

I sharpened the end of the tube to make a hole saw, but the cone broke in half before I'd gotten through the first perimeter.

brasstubesaw.png

brokencone.png

FWIW, the CF/PETG did cut cleanly as long as I was cutting across layers. (I notched it for the motor hook using a sheet metal nibbler and a pair of flush-cutters)
20190906_075729.png
As you would expect, fractures propagate quickly and catastrophically when cutting parallel to the layers.

I am going to make a paper tailcone for the Sprint.

The WAC Corporal arrived today in what looked like a very large Toblerone box. My wife was disappointed to find out that it was only a rocket.

IMG_7885.JPG IMG_7884.JPG

Then I found out that GIANT Toblerones actually do exist. Whoa.
toblerone_4.5_kg_chocolade_2.jpg

Browsed through a bunch of photos everyone posted on the LDRS facebook page and found one of my 2.6'' on a J1000. The rocket is just over 5 foot and the flame is equally as long! Not bad for a 38mm motor.

Loki J1000.JPG

Finally finished today my QCC I started back in 2015. Lots of decal cutting and bits. Then I made a list of engines I need for the Roctober event.

Attachments

• IMG-1453.JPG
    IMG-1453.JPG
    208.5 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG-1464.JPG
    IMG-1464.JPG
    96.1 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG-1458.JPG
    IMG-1458.JPG
    122.1 KB · Views: 68
I tweaked a CAD design for an Omni-Pad head so that it's modified to take a launch rod top and center. The problem is that it looks like it's going to be a 17 hour print. Maybe on my next whole day home on my next day off. I don't go farther than a store across the street when the printer is running.

I have a back of my mind temptation to do an unholy hybrid of an "Omni-Slider" but I really don't want to do all that effort....

Actually, I do get an idea for a 3D printed "Omni-Slider" that could possibly be mistaken for a commercial product from 20 or more feet away. I'll work it up later.

I was just thinking about getting my old rockets out of the old toy box after a 17 year lapse in the summer of '94. I was looking at Big Bertha and the Orion and thinking didn't you guys use to be about an inch bigger in diameter and at least about half a foot longer?

Successfully constructed my first Eggtimer Quark. I assume it's successful, it passed the startup test. Good thing I bought three; lost a capacitor while building.

Just got this in the mail like, five minutes ago. Decals from Stickershock. Maybe I'll make a "Tobleroony".
View attachment 392679

Yes, you probably want to go the USPS route - a real giant Toblerone goes for about $124. You can personalize it, though (as though that justifies the extra cost).

For some reason, this USPS site shows a $0 price for the triangular boxes, which apparently come in boxes of 10 or 20. Ready to make a fleet?

Ready for priming!

The Decaffinator is one our favorites. My son and I have flown it nearly every time we go out (occasionally with it's glider) and we've repaired it and replaced parts more often than we can count. nearly everything has been replaced or rebuilt at least once. We've never even tried to paint it though. For color, we just added some green and blue painters tape strips around each cup joint.

Today I met several officers from our local rocket club (MTMA) which normally flies at a city park in Aurora, Ohio, and together we met with the owners of a local grass airfield to discuss the possibility of flying rockets there. I don't want to say more until officers discuss it at the next meeting but my fingers are crossed, and I'm sure that I can at least take our scout troop and cub scouts out there from time to time.

Finally finished today my QCC I started back in 2015. Lots of decal cutting and bits. Then I made a list of engines I need for the Roctober event.
Well, at least you finished it. Looks really sharp!

My QCC build stalled about 2 years ago. I look at the bag of parts every so often and say "Maybe some day".

Back